Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-10-2015, 09:19   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler
SSB to monitor/is monitored?

For cruising in the Gulf of Mexico and the Bahamas, what frequencies/stations are likely to respond to a CQ? Alternatively, as support for others possibly in difficulty, what frequencies are best to monitor? Not much good having a SSB if there is no one out there listening....

Old 22-10-2015, 10:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: SSB to monitor/is monitored?

I am sure someone will give you a link to some of the routine ham channels that are monitored by some people. E.g. there is a Pacific net (from Ohio base station) that has a set schedule. To use the ham frequencies you should have a ham license but for emergencies you can use any frequency at any time. I am sure there are other nets available but almost are done on a schedule and not monitored 24/7. In all the areas we sailed we found local cruiser nets that had scheduled times to listen in or check in when on a passage. I would be surprised if there were some in the Caribbean. I have heard different things about whether the USCG monitors any frequencies for emergencies any more.

Old 22-10-2015, 10:45   #3

Go to Dockside Radio www.docksideradio.com for a list of nets (freq & time)
Old 23-10-2015, 12:30   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

tkeithlu,
There are 3 short answers to your question...
And, which one is "best" depends on what radio you have and what service you're referring to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
For cruising in the Gulf of Mexico and the Bahamas, what frequencies/stations are likely to respond to a CQ? Alternatively, as support for others possibly in difficulty, what frequencies are best to monitor? Not much good having a SSB if there is no one out there listening....
a) For the Marine Mobile Service, with an MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radio, for signaling coast stations or commercial vessels, it is best to use the DSC functions...
And, in Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, etc. you'll find 8414.5khz DSC to work well day/night, and 12577khz DSC to work very well daytime and into the evenings...(also 4207.5khz DSC at night...)
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=cgcommsCall

HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

Please remember that the latest GMDSS rules/regs became effective in 1992, and became mandatory for all signatory nations and all SOLAS commercial vessels, on Jan 1, 1999....so, all of the "Voice SSB" monitoring was no longer required for the past 16+ years!!! And, hence except for the USCG and WLO radio, nobody is out there monitoring with SSB Voice, only DSC...
(and understand that there are > 80 HF-DSC coast stations worldwide, and > 450 MF-DSC coast stations worldwide, and 1000's of commercial vessels worldwide, equipped with MF/HF-DSC....so there are plenty out there listening, just with DSC not Voice!)

b) For the Marine Mobile Service, without an MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radio, with an older non-DSC SSB Radio, for signaling coast stations in Gulf of Mexico and Bahamas...
Try the USCG on 12290khz daytime, as well as 8291khz if within a couple hundred miles in daytime, or anywhere in the region at night...

Try Shipcom WLO, on ITU channels 1212, 824, etc., daytimes...and 824, 607, 405, etc. at night...
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

And, for raising other vessels....you will NOT be able to raise any commercial vessels, via SSB voice.....and you only find other cruising boats on-the-air / monitoring during times of "cruiser's nets"...such as Cruiseheimer's, Doo-Dah, etc...
East Coast Cruising Nets

c) For the amateur radio service / "Ham radio", your best bet daytime and into the evening is 14.300mhz / 14300khz!!
This is the international net freq of the Maritime Mobile Service Net, Intercon net, and the Pacific Seafarer's Net...
Maritime Mobile Service Network
The BEST 20-Meter Net Going! | A member of the 14.300 mHz net family.
Welcome to the Pacific seafarer's net | Pacific seafarer's net
14300.net

Also, try 7.268mhz / 7268khz in early mornings....this is the Waterway Net..
Waterway Net Web Site

And, finally, please have a look at these videos...they'll help you out a lot!!

Maritime HF Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

HF-DSC Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 14:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

Wow! What an informative and helpful answer! I'll print it out! While I'm limited to 1-28 MHz, I will soon have a general license, so I'll be able to use the ham as well as the marine SSB frequencies. Thank you.
Old 23-10-2015, 15:04   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

You're very welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Wow! What an informative and helpful answer! I'll print it out! While I'm limited to 1-28 MHz, I will soon have a general license, so I'll be able to use the ham as well as the marine SSB frequencies. Thank you.
But, since you haven't mentioned what radio you have, etc., all I can offer is generalities and no "radio specific" info..

FYI, if you wish to print something out for reference....this is what I'd suggest:

http://www.docksideradio.com/east_coast.htm

And, don't forget that all of this info is also available in the links, in the reference "sticky" right at the top of the "Marine Electronics" page...
Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use / proeprly-install SSB, & troubleshoot RFI, etc.)

Fair winds!

John

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: