Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2013, 08:33   #1

SSB Nets.

I'm about to leave Portland Maine bound for the Bahamas. does anyone know and SSB nets for non "Hams" on the eastern seaboard now that herb on Southbound2 is no longer on the air?
Marabou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: SSB Nets.

Try Cruiseheimer's Net...

Daily, 0830 Eastern Clock Time (GMT - 4/5)
8152 Khz.

Dave
Net Manager, Cruiseheimer's
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 09:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

CF member Jeremiason put together a list of nets that I believe includes ham and marine SSB.

List published here.

HAM INFO | SAILING CAMELOT
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 18:20   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Marabou,
There are a couple different answers to your question, that I'd like to share with you (and some advice/comment for you)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabou View Post
I'm about to leave Portland Maine bound for the Bahamas. does anyone know and SSB nets for non "Hams" on the eastern seaboard now that herb on Southbound2 is no longer on the air?
1) First off, NO, there is currently no replacement/substitute for Herb's Weather Net...
South Bound II VAX498 - Ship routing and weather forecasting
And, even if we do establish an offshore, hi-seas net, for long-range passage-makers and ocean voyagers (something that is currently under consideration), it is doubtful that anyone will be able to "replace" Herb!!

2) I have personally purposed a hi-seas, offshore, long-range HF Radio Net (using the maritime frequencies) for those crossing the Atlantic (and those transiting from the US to/from the Caribbean), but have run into delays in those plans (family matters)...
But, in a nutshell, I was hoping to run a more open/fun net, while also providing weather forecasts, using official NWS/NOAA Offshore and Hi-Seas forecasts, as well as Hi-Seas and Gibraltar to Canaries regional forecasts from the UK and French Met Offices...
Also use the Net as a way for those on-passage to check-in with any problems/issues, as well as be advised of others with problems and/or needing some assistance...

For, convenience and ease-of-use, I was planning on using the same freqs that Herb used.... 12.359mhz, 16.528mhz, and 8.294mhz...

I was also planning on both a morning net, and a late-afternoon/evening net, but would eventually / hopefully transition to just the late afternoon/evening net...
But, as I wrote above, I've had delays in my plans...

3) The east coast "regional" nets, like Cruiseheimer's and Doo-Dah nets, which operate mainly on 8.152mhz summertime (and 6.227mhz, wintertime), would probably have adequate coverage for your passage from Maine to the Bahamas...
Cruiseheimers Net
doodah
And while, they do not provide any real weather info/forecasts, in the past they have unofficially assisted the Salty Dawg and NARC rallies, and the Doo-Dah net has Chris Parker on their net (in the late afternoon) to contact his subscribers and/or rally participants that they were unable to make contact with earlier in the day...
So, you may find either, or both, helpful....

4) If you're willing to pay fees / subscription, Chris Parker's weather net, which covers mainly the US southeast coast, Bahamas, and northern Caribbean, may be of some use to you...maybe not...
Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services

5) Some brief words of advice:
a) Make absolutely sure that your HF radio works perfectly BEFORE you leave port...
(in addition to testing the radio/antenna system with power/swr meter, and talking to another vessel near you, checking into these nets mentioned above, AND asking for honest signal and audio reports!! as well as contacting WLO radio, and getting radio checks on various channels/frequencies...will go a long way into making sure your radio works well...)
http://www.ssca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12547

ShipCom LLC :: Marine HF Radiotelephone and HF Single SideBand Email
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

b) Make absolutely sure that you know how-to use your radio properly/optimally, BEFORE you leave port!!!
Use the information in some of these threads referenced here....read these recent threads regarding HF radio usage and some specifics on certain radios and their issues...
SSCA Forum • View topic - Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts
SSCA Forum • View topic - Icom M-802 "Clipping Issue" - Revisited....
SSCA Forum • View topic - HF Radio Freqs, summertime Atlantic crossing, offshore Net..
SSCA Forum • View topic - Tips for using an HF-SSB Radio (mostly for newcomers)

SSCA Forum • View topic - EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds
SSCA Forum • View topic - Icom M-802 DSC-Distress Signaling, what really happens!
SSCA Forum • View topic - USCG to Discontinue ONLY 2mhz Distress Watchkeeping 8-1-2013
SSCA Forum • View topic - IC-M802 Compression

c) Here is a fairly comprehensive list of east coast nets...
East Coast Cruising Nets

6) Finally, you wrote "I'm about to leave Portland Maine bound for the Bahamas."...and I'm wonder two things...
a) When are you planning on departing???
b) If you are really "about to leave" (which I interpret as being tomorrow or the next day), do you realize that you are waiting to the last minute to ask such an important question??? (sorry about asking this so bluntly...but at least I answered your question in great detail first!)

I do hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 16:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Try Cruiseheimer's Net... Daily, 0830 Eastern Clock Time (GMT - 4/5) 8152 Khz. Dave Net Manager, Cruiseheimer's
Yep that worked - thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Marabou,
There are a couple different answers to your question, that I'd like to share with you (and some advice/comment for you).... 1) First off, NO, there is currently no replacement/substitute for Herb's Weather Net...
South Bound II VAX498 - Ship routing and weather forecasting
And, even if we do establish an offshore, hi-seas net, for long-range passage-makers and ocean voyagers (something that is currently under consideration), it is doubtful that anyone will be able to "replace" Herb!!

2) I have personally purposed a hi-seas, offshore, long-range HF Radio Net (using the maritime frequencies) for those crossing the Atlantic (and those transiting from the US to/from the Caribbean), but have run into delays in those plans (family matters)...
But, in a nutshell, I was hoping to run a more open/fun net, while also providing weather forecasts, using official NWS/NOAA Offshore and Hi-Seas forecasts, as well as Hi-Seas and Gibraltar to Canaries regional forecasts from the UK and French Met Offices...
Also use the Net as a way for those on-passage to check-in with any problems/issues, as well as be advised of others with problems and/or needing some assistance...

For, convenience and ease-of-use, I was planning on using the same freqs that Herb used.... 12.359mhz, 16.528mhz, and 8.294mhz...

I was also planning on both a morning net, and a late-afternoon/evening net, but would eventually / hopefully transition to just the late afternoon/evening net...
But, as I wrote above, I've had delays in my plans...

3) The east coast "regional" nets, like Cruiseheimer's and Doo-Dah nets, which operate mainly on 8.152mhz summertime (and 6.227mhz, wintertime), would probably have adequate coverage for your passage from Maine to the Bahamas...
Cruiseheimers Net
doodah
And while, they do not provide any real weather info/forecasts, in the past they have unofficially assisted the Salty Dawg and NARC rallies, and the Doo-Dah net has Chris Parker on their net (in the late afternoon) to contact his subscribers and/or rally participants that they were unable to make contact with earlier in the day...
So, you may find either, or both, helpful....

4) If you're willing to pay fees / subscription, Chris Parker's weather net, which covers mainly the US southeast coast, Bahamas, and northern Caribbean, may be of some use to you...maybe not...
Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services

5) Some brief words of advice:
a) Make absolutely sure that your HF radio works perfectly BEFORE you leave port...
(in addition to testing the radio/antenna system with power/swr meter, and talking to another vessel near you, checking into these nets mentioned above, AND asking for honest signal and audio reports!! as well as contacting WLO radio, and getting radio checks on various channels/frequencies...will go a long way into making sure your radio works well...)

ShipCom LLC :: Marine HF Radiotelephone and HF Single SideBand Email
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

b) Make absolutely sure that you know how-to use your radio properly/optimally, BEFORE you leave port!!!
Use the information in some of these threads referenced here....read these recent threads regarding HF radio usage and some specifics on certain radios and their issues...
SSCA Forum • View topic - Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts
SSCA Forum • View topic - HF Radio Freqs, summertime Atlantic crossing, offshore Net..
SSCA Forum • View topic - Tips for using an HF-SSB Radio (mostly for newcomers)

SSCA Forum • View topic - EPIRB Activation? What happens/How to improve rescue odds
SSCA Forum • View topic - Icom M-802 DSC-Distress Signaling, what really happens!
SSCA Forum • View topic - USCG to Discontinue ONLY 2mhz Distress Watchkeeping 8-1-2013
SSCA Forum • View topic - IC-M802 Compression

c) Here is a fairly comprehensive list of east coast nets...
East Coast Cruising Nets

6) Finally, you wrote "I'm about to leave Portland Maine bound for the Bahamas."...and I'm wonder two things...
a) When are you planning on departing???
b) If you are really "about to leave" (which I interpret as being tomorrow or the next day), do you realize that you are waiting to the last minute to ask such an important question??? (sorry about asking this so bluntly...but at least I answered your question in great detail first!)

I do hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Thanks for your advise John. to answer your concerns. I am a commercial yacht captain and very familiar with SSB. I am currently captain of a research/survey vessel of 190ton which is bristling with satellite communications systems. I recently installed the SSB however, and it booms out no problem. when I bought my own yacht (a swan 51) in Newport R.I. in '04, I sailed down to the Caribbean on my way back to New Zealand, and liaised with Herb en route. He was quite an entity. I have a number of weather systems I use for passage making but at the same time I like the idea of the contact on SSB even if just to talk to someone 'outside the hull' on a regular basis. Incidentally the passage was fine. I contacted Cruisheimers and got a reasonable copy on them once south f the Potomac.

Perhaps you could let me know if you're successful with your net. I'll be back on the east coast next summer and will be in touch.

Regards, Piers.

www.safehandsyachtdelivery.com
Old 11-10-2013, 13:00   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Piers,
Sounds like you've got it all covered...sorry for the rambling...

I'll keep you all posted, but have serious family health matters to take care of over the next two months....so a new radio net is currently on-hold...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb