Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-08-2015, 11:51   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: SSB license in Bahamas

weikeith,
Yes, you are clear!

But, as svlamorcha wrote, it is the vessel's flag nation that determines the operators qualifications...

But, also understand that we wouldn't be the greatest nation in the world if we didn't complicate things just a little bit...
Your vessel must have a "station license", and that'll cost you about $210 USD, every 10 years!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
For my own clarity. Are we saying that a $65 US restricted radio operators licence, which can be obtained simply be applying for it, along with the fee, will allow you to use marine SSB anywhere in the world? No courses, no exams, just apply (assuming you're American and live in the US that is)?
Quote:
Wow! So you get your licence, buy a Icom M802, for example, and off you go? Apologies if I'm hijacking this post.
So, yes...
You apply on-line, pay the fees, get both your vessel's "ship station license" (with callsign, MMSI#, etc.) and your restricted radiotelephone license...buy, an Icom M-802, and off you go!!

But, without the knowledge to properly use the radio....is it any wonder we get so many sailors with questions about "SSB"??

Now, if you look at these vide.....oppss, not another advertisement!

Fair winds my friend!

John

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 12:56   #17

You lucky lot. Here in the UK we have to do a 4-8 day course, culminating in three or four exams, including a one-to-one practical and verbal exam with an independent examiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post

Now, if you look at these vide.....oppss, not another advertisement!
Yeh, yeh, I've seen them . Quite good actually, I understand more now your motivation for doing them.

Old 30-08-2015, 16:59   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Never been asked for liscence in the Bahamas or any other country.

I suspect enforcement is only likely in a developed country and then probably only if you run afoul of FCC (or equivalent) regulations.
Old 30-08-2015, 18:10   #19

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Wow! So you get your licence, buy a Icom M802, for example, and off you go? Apologies if I'm hijacking this post.
For the marine radio service, for the USA, the operator needs a license and the ship needs a licence. Both cost a few bucks. We will need a radio, tuner, antenna... Yes, you are right; off we go to the whole world... And yes, we will bitch about the few bucks. It's the land of the free and the brave.
Old 30-08-2015, 18:52   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Never been asked for liscence in the Bahamas or any other country.

I suspect enforcement is only likely in a developed country and then probably only if you run afoul of FCC (or equivalent) regulations.
Try operating a radio without a license in a proper third world country (ideally one of those that start with "Democratic") and let me know how it goes . Likelihood may be low but consequence may be dire!.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-08-2015, 19:02   #21

Boat: PDQ 44i

Yes. You need a reciprocal radio license if you want to use your SSB in the Bahamas. It is easy to get one. It has been a few years since I needed one, but I think I did it by mail. It didn't cost much. It is always best to obey the law.
General Class license is not hard to get. Study at home a bit and then go and take both the technician and general class exams. Again, not expensive, and all you need to do is learn the material. Best way to prepare is to read the books, and then take the practice tests a zillion times, concentrating only on the correct answers. Never look at the wrong answers. They only confuse you. All the exam questions and answers are published. When you pass the practice exams every time, then you will ace the real exam. Happy sailing.
Old 30-08-2015, 20:07   #22

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
Yes. You need a reciprocal radio license if you want to use your SSB in the Bahamas. It is easy to get one. It has been a few years since I needed one, but I think I did it by mail. It didn't cost much. It is always best to obey the law.
General Class license is not hard to get. Study at home a bit and then go and take both the technician and general class exams. Again, not expensive, and all you need to do is learn the material. Best way to prepare is to read the books, and then take the practice tests a zillion times, concentrating only on the correct answers. Never look at the wrong answers. They only confuse you. All the exam questions and answers are published. When you pass the practice exams every time, then you will ace the real exam. Happy sailing.
I take that Doublewide is referring to the amateur aka "ham" bands, not the marine aka "SSB" bands. AFAIK for marine HF aka SSB bands there is no need to get a license from the host country, unlike for ham bands where you need a recoprocal license or a treaty-based permit unless it is automatic because or a treaty.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 31-08-2015, 04:38   #23
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Been to the Bahamas numerous times with an SSB onboard and was never asked for no license.

That being said, I wrote his the exam and picked up this little ticket:
Marine Radio Operator Permit (MP)

Figured it would not hurt and I just may learn something.c

At the time is was $65.
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 15:03   #24

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

Got my RRTOP today. Now need an SSB. What would you consider a fair install price?
Old 31-08-2015, 20:10   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A fair installation price would require a lot of specifics:
Distance from batteries, because it will need to be cabled directly with heavy cable.
Then you might want to run a counterpoise, not just a radio ground. Debate & experimentation optional and extra.
Cabinet work required? Or just installed on a counter top?
Antenna tuner to be purchased? And installed where? And powered how?
Antenna to be installed? Configured? And no, there's no one antenna brand or type guaranteed to work best in any installation.
Oh, and there's probably still a requirement to post the licenses (or copies) at the station somewhere. Buy a picture frame.(G)

The radio is often the cheapest part of the system.

Some of us in the US are still bitching and getting no answer from the FCC on why a ship's station license costs $225? now, when it used to cost $75 and there's been no increase in services or costs for them. And $75 does cover all their costs, which is how they were mandated (in the Carter years) to set their fees.
Old 31-08-2015, 21:28   #26
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

Quote:
Got my RRTOP today. Now need an SSB. What would you consider a fair install price?
A pro installation could easily double the price of a radio, or more..
(Haul out, grounding plate, back-stay insulators, labor, etc.)
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 17:18   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Self-built 44' steel trawler

Yes. Get your international station license (call sign, MMSI - from the FCC not BoatUS because you are going out of the country) and your restricted operator's license, and stay in the SSB frequencies and do not transmit ham frequencies, even though your radio will have them. Remember to put your MMSI into your VHF radio, which if it's like mine has been asking for it every time you turn it on....

Tags
Bahamas, license, ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: