Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 10:30   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
SSB Jacksonville

Would anyone know of a good SSB tech in the Jacksonville area. I want to have my Icom 802 checked out for signal and installation ( new), prior to departing for the Bahamas

Fletch
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 10:51   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: SSB Jacksonville

Fletch,
You might try one of the SSB Nets on the East Coast. You can probably get your radio checked out on the air, and a recommendation for a tech if needed. To get a list of the nets go to Dockside Radio at East Coast Cruising Nets. Or contact Gay Jensen directly and see if he can help.
I'm in JAX, but am not familiar with any local techs. They probably exist, but I just don't know who they are.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 20:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: SSB Jacksonville

Fletch,
---- Not exactly sure what you want the tech to check, but assuming it is the WHOLE HF-SSB installation, including radio, wiring, tuner, antenna, grounding, power output and matched/coupled antenna VSWR, DC supply capability, voice transmit capability (i.e. M-802 "clipping issue" and speech compression), lack of on-board RFI issues (both receiver RFI and your transmitted RFI), ability to raise other vessels and shore stations, etc. etc...

If that is what you're after, you can do all of that yourself....all you need is an accurate voltmeter and HF power watt/SWR meter, and about 30 minutes of time....
If you read over some threads on the SSCA disc board..
SSCA Forum • View forum - Communications
And/or ask for details here, we can tell you how/what to look for and how/what to measure...)

If you are also desiring for on-air proof that the radio works and works well (always a GOOD idea), there are some nets and shore stations that should give you a good critique IF you ask them for an honest critique / evaluation and not just a "cursory signal report"....and be sure to try multiple channels/frequencies to multiple stations/vessels, over varied distances and times of day, etc...

Try Shipcom / WLO Radio in Mobile, AL
ShipCom LLC :: Marine HF Radiotelephone and HF Single SideBand Email
HF SSB Radiotelephone, Telex and Email Frequencies and Channels

And, try some HF radio Nets such as Cruiseheimer's and Doo-Dah on the marine bands....and the Maritime Mobile Service Net / Intercon Net, and Waterway Net, both on the ham bands...
East Coast Cruising Nets

And, remember to be sure to ask for a detailed critique/evaluation of your signal and audio quality, as well as "punchy-ness", etc...

If you cannot find someone to be critical, get in touch with me directly....I'm about 250-300 miles south of you and I can help...

----- If you need your radio checked out professionally, Icom has a marine radio service center a couple hours drive from you (in Tallahassee, FL)

Icom Service Center - Florida
5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Phone: (800) 649-5783
Fax: (850) 575-0346

---- As for Marine HF Radio techs in Jacksonville itself....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
Would anyone know of a good SSB tech in the Jacksonville area. I want to have my Icom 802 checked out for signal and installation ( new), prior to departing for the Bahamas
I don't know of any personally....but perhaps you could ask Icom (or even Furuno) as that is a decent commercial port, and I suspect that there are a few that work on GMDSS consoles, etc....but be prepared to PAY $$$....

And, as for pleasure boat marine electronics guys....in general, most know NOTHING about HF radio / SSB, even though many claim to be "experts"....
So, unless they can give you verifiable references (that you trust), I'd not bother even having one come to your boat....
Do it yourself and you'll learn a lot!!!

----- Please advise further details and we'll be able to help further...

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacksonville, ssb