Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2006, 20:29   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
SSB installation help

I've bought a used but good SSB but can't locate an operation & installation manual for it so need a couple of questions answered.
1/ I am tying the ground from the antenna tuner to the keel bolts, do I also tie in the ground from the radio or should this be grounded seperately?
2/ Do I need insulated ground wire or will plain conductor do?
3/ How close to the unregulated DC supply from the solar panel can I route the coax cable from radio to antenna tuner?
4/ Should I pick up the power supply (30 amp) from the battery or load side of the solar regulator?
All advice welcomed.

Pete
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 21:16   #2

Send a message via AIM to Radio University
What is the manufacture and the model of the SSB? I may have some manuals for it.

As far as how to install it, there are several different opinions on this and other boards. All are valid. some are easier then others and are still effective. I use a 3 inch copper strap from the antenna tuner to (2) 12 inch ground plates. (one mounted on either side of the hull). This should be with in about 12 feet from the tuner. The closer the better.
Radio University is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2006, 21:54   #3
cruiser

Hi James,
The radio is a JMC (Japanese Marina Co) TR-1500
Do you connect the radio to the same ground as the antenna tuner? I know the tuner ground is for RF so should be fine through my solid lead keel but is the radio set itself required to be grounded for electric contact or RF? My hull is solid glass with neutral return to the batteries and no seperate grounding system.
Old 29-12-2006, 09:35   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Any time I see these post I know all of the radio engineers will jump in with all of the technical info needed to build a system. But if you just want the simple how to then that is a bit more difficult. Each set up is different as is each boats electrical system and layout. Icom has a manual on the 710 which can kind of be used as a generic install. You can find it at http://www.icomamerica.com/support/m.../ic-m710rt.pdf and just print out the install sections. This will GET YOU STARTED and you can adjust and tweak the system in time. But in the meanwhile you will have a functioning system albeit not perfect. Do a search on this forum and you will find a great amount of info on the subject. Getting into the installation will help make some of that information make sense. Do a search on the net for your radio and see if you can locate any manuals for it or discussion sites for that particular unit. You will get as many different opinions on the install as there are members here and they are probably all correct. My point is, not to let it confuse you and keep in mind that as technical as it appears it is a pretty straight forward and simple installation if you are a bit savvy. Good luck and have fun with it.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 15:26   #5
cruiser

I know what you mean Chuck. I had a look at some of the other threads but thought I would get away by asking a few specific questions. I have found a very good article online since I posted & it has helped enourmously.
Old 29-12-2006, 19:44   #6

So how about sharing that with us.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 29-12-2006, 19:48   #7

That is a pretty obscure radio! I do not have one handy but I have sent a request to Japan to see if they are still available.

I usually do not connect the SSB chassis ground to anything. This can create problems with ground loops.
Old 29-12-2006, 20:19   #8

Most of the installs I have done are Icom, SGC, or Kenwood and I don't ground the radio chassis either. Even though the old Icom installs say to do this Icom techs will tell you not to. Creates too much noise on the radio.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 29-12-2006, 21:35   #9
cruiser

Link for the article is
WMPC RACE TIPS Radio Installation
Very interesting to hear about not grounding the SSB chassis, glad I asked. Any thoughts on how close to run the coax to the DC from the solar panel?
Old 30-12-2006, 09:26   #10

Shouldn't matter how close. If the coax from the radio to the antenna tuner is of good quality, there shouldn't be any problems. Just keep the GTO-15 that comes from the tuner and connects to the antenna away from other wires and electronics... That wire will cause damage.
Old 30-12-2006, 15:56   #11

Pete, The link you provided has some good info for those looking for the basic information to do an SSB install.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-01-2007, 16:16   #12

Pete,

Here is the email reply I received from the manufacturer of your SSB.

Dear Willis san

Thanks for your inquiry for the manual of TR-1500.

I apologized that we have not PDF file for this model due to very old model. Just available is making copy.

So kindly request you to send 2,000 JPY for making copy the manual.

Please accept and understand.

Kind Regards
S.Wakushima , Manager of Sales Div.
E-mail :wakushima@japan-marina.co.jp
5, January. 2007 7:09 PM
Old 06-01-2007, 18:29   #13
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
118 Yen to the USD as of Friday COB.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 21:43   #14
cruiser

"Very old" in Japan must be different from very old in NZ. The set is only 8 years old. Thanks for all your help, I'll follow up with the guy's email contact.
Cheers
Pete
Old 07-01-2007, 12:06   #15
Eternal Member

Pete,

Lest Chuck accuse me of providing too detailed information to "build a radio", I'll limit this to one short observation.

The referenced guide to SSB installation written by Eric Steinberg (Farallon Electronics) for the 1998 Transpac Race is a very good summary in most respects. He's done a great job of covering most of the essentials in a simple way, and even covers the use of emergency antennas for SSB.

The one area which isn't so good, IMHO, has to do with grounding. Like many "authorities", he's mostly just following the tired advice to get as much copper tied in as possible, aiming for that magical "100 square feet".

A perfectly acceptable RF ground can be built by attaching the tuner ground lug to the aluminum toerails and/or the pushpit/pulpit/lifelines complex (ONLY) or by using radials. Lots of posts on this topic here and on the SSCA Board and elsewhere.

You DO NOT have to have external groundplates, keelbolts, engine, boat's DC ground complex, etc., tied in. In fact, you're better off without doing that.

Bill
WA6CCA
S/V Born Free
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation