Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23   #1

ssb email network providers

Hi all -

I am trying to get my head around hooking our ssb M-802 with the airmail/sailmail email providers. However, going by the manuals I have onboard, it keeps mentioning about the FCC licence (on top of your MMSI/callsign nr.) that is needed. I am pretty sure that is only meant for the US registered yachts. We are a British registered yacht, what is the equivalent for the FCC licence I will need in order to get start getting set up with sail mail. Also, there is no real mention wether their software is compatible with MAC. Any recommendation on which type of laptops are great to run all the above related software + the usual Navigation progs we have? Will the acers be all right? Not looking for the most expensive brands as it will only be used as a boat laptop.

Many thanks!

Jill
jilllumenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:49   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: ssb email network providers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilllumenta View Post
Hi all -

I am trying to get my head around hooking our ssb M-802 with the airmail/sailmail email providers. However, going by the manuals I have onboard, it keeps mentioning about the FCC licence (on top of your MMSI/callsign nr.) that is needed. I am pretty sure that is only meant for the US registered yachts. We are a British registered yacht, what is the equivalent for the FCC licence I will need in order to get start getting set up with sail mail. Also, there is no real mention wether their software is compatible with MAC. Any recommendation on which type of laptops are great to run all the above related software + the usual Navigation progs we have? Will the acers be all right? Not looking for the most expensive brands as it will only be used as a boat laptop.

Many thanks!

Jill
See Ofcom | Ask us - Spectrum - How do I get a MMSI number?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, ssb