Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 10:06   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: SSB DSC antenna idea

Theo,
You ask a lot of questions in a small paragraph....but, let me answer you briefly...

1) First off, please read my posts above, #10 and #12...
SSB DSC antenna idea

SSB DSC antenna idea

You will find all your answers to DSC-receive antenna choices there....you do not need o spend lots of $$$ on a DSC receive antenna!!
(you can use just about any wire, of adequate length...and it will work...even just attaching coax center-conductor to a chainplate, and using this will work....but, please read those posts above for all the details...)

2) As for GPS....I always recommend a dedicated GPS for the DSC radios....but if you have a second GPS for your AIS, you can certainly use that....(be aware that if you have an AIS transponder, it will just have a GPS antenna and it's GPS receiver is built-in to the AIS transponder, so you would need to take the NMEA data out of the AIS unit for the DSC radios, meaning that the AIS must be on and functioning, in order to use its GPS for your DSC radios....so, as usual, I still recommend a dedicated GPS for the radios....FYI, a Garmin GPS 76 works great and costs about $100 USD...)
Simply relying on your Raymarine units (chartplotter, etc.) to provide GPS data to your radios causes 2 issues...
--- having to run the chartplotter all the time, just to have GPS data to your radios....(lots of electrical power used, when a small dedicated GPS would be fine)
--- must have your chratplotter working to send a distress call with GPS position...

See my Nav Station photos here...

3) Regarding ferrites, please see my answer to your query in your other thread, for all the details....

4) Depending on who you bought it from, your M-802 should have the ham bands open....but, if not, it's as easy as pressing a few buttons....
Here is the procedure..

If you have an Icom M-802 and cannot program your "user channels", nor use the "VFO Mode" on the ham radio bands, it is because your radio is in "Marine Mode", rather than the "Open Mode" (even though the "Open Mode" is what the Icom manual shows!)
And, the good news is that switching your M-802 to "Open Mode" is VERY easy and takes just 2 seconds, literally!!

Gary Jensen, Dockside Radio, has the exact procedure for programming the M-802 (including placing the radio into "Open Mode"),laid out for you on his website...

Icom M-802 Programming Instructions

But in brief, you're turning the radio OFF...
Then pressing and holding down three different buttons, and then while holding those three buttons down, pressing the power button, turning the radio ON....

And, that's it....
Your M-802 is now in "Open Mode", and you'll be able to program your "user channels" and use the "VFO mode" on the ham bands, etc...

With the radio OFF, the three buttons you press and hold down are:
"Mode", "2", "TXF/TX"
And, while holding those buttons down, turn the radio ON by then pressing the "Power" button...
And, you're done....the radio is now on and in the "Open Mode"

Hope this helps...

John

ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 07:46   #17

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36
Re: SSB DSC antenna idea

I use the NMEA183 output from my chartplotter to the radio. A dedicated GPS would probably be better - any recommended models?

Also I haven't hooked up my DSC antenna yet - I am probably just going to run a coax to a chainplate as they are easily accessable.

Tags
antenna, dsc, ssb