Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2012, 20:20   #16

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Re: SSB and email?

ICOM 802, AT-140, KISS Counterpoise, and a Shakespere 23' whip antenna, and a 51' longwire antena I built.
Email thru RMS and Winmor. Piece of cake. Away from the marina that is... has option fo SHip to shore. Check them out, I have, $25 activate account, $1 per min for any Tele# in US.
They also do emailand other stuff too.
Just learning and getting my systems up and running.
Thanks for all your inputs, and have fun!

lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 21:41   #17

Boat: SV Estrellita 5.10b, Wauquiez Pretorien

I don't have experience with the 802 but have heard nothing but good reports and it certainly can do what you want.

HOWEVER, I want to say, you certainly don't need a brand new 802 if cost is an issue. There are lots of used radios out there that are excellent.

For example, a used Icom 718 with a used AH-4 tuner and a used pactor modem (and an appropriate HAM license) will allow you to get all of the weather you need and there are lots of other models of radios that will do the job. Call one of the radio shops and ask them what they have used that they recommend.

The Giddyup Plan // Our Cruising Videos
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 14:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Several mentions of using a $100 receiver for picking up weather.
I have a Kaito KA1103 an am having a very hard time picking up Chris Parker and other signals. Talked to Kaito tech support and they tell me signals have been very poor lately.
So I want something more robust for listening in to nets and also setting up for wefax of some sort.
What is the next step up?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 04:28   #19

HF Propagation changes day to day, actually hour to hour. We are at the mercy of sunspot activity. You can check the various propagation websites but the easiest is to look at the propagation table which is part of Sailmail, Airmail and RMS Express software.

BocaIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 05:05   #20

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

For HAM equipment i suggest buying a used rig and a manual turner. By used i mean a modern multiband solid state transceiver. A Kenwood TS-50 or IC-735 or similar can be had ppretty cheap. Both are full coverage receivers up to 30Mhz so good for CW, RTTY and FAX reception. If you have an old 286 laptop laying around you can construct a simple serial port demodulator out of 7 count em 7 parts and use it with HAMCOMM or similar shareware or freeware programs. An antenna turner can be homebuilt or used and need not cost much at all. Get your license and you can transmit as well with the same gear. Total cost well under a grand. Half that maybe.

As cheap as used ham gear is, there is no need to use your marine SSB on the ham bands. Having both gives you redundancy and enhances safety.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

email, ssb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: