Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42   #76

Re: SSB Advice

I recommend running the power feed directly to the batteries through fuses and/or breakers for SSB installations. A breaker or switch should be installed somewhere in the wire run as turning the radio switch off does not remove power from all circuitry in the radio. The 10 gauge zip cord that Icom gives you is actually too small for a 10' run to the batteries. 8 gauge would be good for 10'. When sizing wire for 12v applications you must take into account the voltage drop due to wire resistance as well as the current handling capability of the wire. Voltage drop should be kept within 3% for SSB radio installations. 10 gauge is only sufficient for a 5' one way run to the batteries. 6 gauge is typically used and is good for up to 15' one way length. Basically you would run the larger wire, size determined by length required, to the transceiver location and connect to the OEM power cord (cut shorter) either via heavy duty terminal board or splice.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49   #77
Eternal Member

+1 to what Paul and Erik said.

I do new SSB installations professionally, and a lot of troubleshooting of existing ones. From my experience, the lack of a proper power cable setup is the cause of many problems.

For one-way runs up to 20' you need to use AWG6 cable from the house batteries to a terminal strip located near the radio. Then, cut the OEM power cable which comes with the radio to a short length to connect at the terminal with the larger cable. Leave a bit of extra. If you like, use a good switch like the Blue Sea Systems #6006 in the positive cable near the terminal switch.

Power for the tuner, if needed (as with the SG-230 coupler) can be taken from this same terminal strip. And, if desired, the VHF can also be powered here.

What's not optional is to install a 30-40A fuse in BOTH the positive and negative cables, located as close to the batteries as possible. There are only two types of fuses which meet ABYC requirements for direct connection to large batteries: ANLs and MRBFs (the new terminal fuses). Class-T fuses are OK, too, but are too large for this application. I prefer 40A ANL fuses and holders.

Note that circuit breakers are generally NOT compliant with ABYC recommendations, except for the new high AIC Blue Sea Systems type.

Attention to this detail will save a lot of grief, both in getting clean power to the radio and in reduced RFI. Both ways: from the radio into other equipment and devices on the boat, and from these devices and equipment back into the radio.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:10   #78

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Ok mates,

I need to decode your advice and then make a plan and run it back to you. I am in real debt to the time you have given and I appreciate the time . So I will send my plan this weekend. I would appreciate it if you can advice etc.

Once again Cheers

Steve
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:26   #79

Hello guys,

Hope you have a little more patience will me. So this is what I intend to do to set my Icom 710 system up.

1)All wiring # 6 tinned

2) Cut the power coupling off from Icom and splice the 3positive and 3 negative wires.

3) I have a brand new blue sea breaker panel. DO not use this due to possible interference. Put in a 30amp blue sea dedicated breaker switch as a power on and off switch.

4) Fuses. The icom 710 has a 30amp positive 30amp negative.
Do I need to fuse the power supply again?

5) If the answer to the above is yes and I still need inline fuses: Bill your advice on 40amp fuses; due to the Radio having 30amp, is this still the case or should I go for 30amp?

6) Power for the Icom130 tuner. Follow the same terminal routine and use tinned #6 wire again.

7) Use a Kiss non grounding contraption.

8) Whip antenna if I can make it fit on my small and increasingly cluttered stern.

9) If not I may look at the halyard or backstay attachment method.

10) Tuner placement needs to be close to the aerial as possible.

Did I miss anything? Got the info on the types of fuses etc!

Cheers Steve
Old 07-01-2012, 13:01   #80
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
4) Fuses. The icom 710 has a 30amp positive 30amp negative.
Do I need to fuse the power supply again?

5) If the answer to the above is yes and I still need inline fuses: Bill your advice on 40amp fuses; due to the Radio having 30amp, is this still the case or should I go for 30amp?
You need to fuse right at the connection to the batteries. The fuse value there must be rated to protect the "thinnest" wire you use in that circuit. (AWG6 is 120A when not bundled and not in engine room. Google this for more info.)

The 30A fuses protect the radio; these fuses are to prevent the wiring going on fire.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 13:08   #81

Quote:
6) Power for the Icom130 tuner. Follow the same terminal routine and use tinned #6 wire again.
The tuner control cable needs to be 4 conductor shielded. Icom manuals are the worst. They recommend 14 gauge for the control cable although their OEM 30' cable I think is only 18 or maybe even 20 gauge. The tuner draws a max of 2 amps but that is peak and only while tuning which is only a few seconds. The shield should only be connected at one end, not both as recommended in the manual.

Eric
Old 07-01-2012, 13:09   #82

High Nick,

Understand about close to the batteries.

So all my house wiring runs from bus bars at the batteries. Do I run directly to the battery, to a new bar, or to an existing bar?

Then add 40amp pos and 40am neg.

Am I getting close? :-)

Steve
Old 07-01-2012, 13:15   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
The tuner control cable needs to be 4 conductor shielded. Icom manuals are the worst. They recommend 14 gauge for the control cable although their OEM 30' cable I think is only 18 gauge. The tuner draws a max of 2 amps but that is peak and only while tuning which is only a few seconds. The shield should only be connected at one end, not both as recommended in the manual.

Eric
Hi Eric,

I live in the boonies, where do I find "tuner control cable with 4 conductor shielded? West marine or just phone a store in Canada that sells Icom and ask. I take it it is not stuff you can find in your hardware store. The shield needs to be connected at one end not both? Help a little more Pa.
Old 07-01-2012, 13:16   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
High Nick,

Understand about close to the batteries.

So all my house wiring runs from bus bars at the batteries. Do I run directly to the battery, to a new bar, or to an existing bar?

Then add 40amp pos and 40am neg.

Am I getting close? :-)

Steve
The bars is good. Only one fuse in positive wire needed.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 07-01-2012, 13:19   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Eric,

I live in the boonies, where do I find "tuner control cable with 4 conductor shielded? West marine or just phone a store in Canada that sells Icom and ask. I take it it is not stuff you can find in your hardware store. The shield needs to be connected at one end not both? Help a little more Pa.
Let me google that for you

Okay okay, it didn't return the link I wanted Here you go: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50565'

ciao!
Nick.
Old 07-01-2012, 13:26   #86

Hi Nick,

Why did,nt you say trailer wire! We have trailer wire here in the North LOL.

So what is the shield that only needs connecting on one end?

Steve
Old 07-01-2012, 13:27   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Why did,nt you say trailer wire! We have trailer wire here in the North LOL.

So what is the shield that only needs connecting on one end?

Steve
Connect it at the radio end only. If you connect at both ends, you create a ground loop. Loops are bad. Except when they are your antenna.'

ciao!
Nick.
Old 07-01-2012, 13:44   #88

Sorry nick!

tuner wire coming out of the back of the radio has four wires

Trailer wire has four wires. So I connect 4 wires at the radio end which one or more do I not connect at Tuner?

Steve
Old 07-01-2012, 13:48   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific
Sorry nick!

tuner wire coming out of the back of the radio has four wires

Trailer wire has four wires. So I connect 4 wires at the radio end which one or more do I not connect at Tuner?

Steve
Hmm yes.. I guess I used unshielded wire I know hordes use this wire so i'd go for it and connect all 4.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 07-01-2012, 14:03   #90

Shielded cable is not required for operation but highly recommended to prevent interference being picked up on the control wiring.

Eric

Tags
ssb