Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 16:49   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
SSB active nets

I am involved in the installation of a new SSB onboard and would like to do some testing.

I am located near Houston at Baytown, Tx.

If you are presently transmitting or have something scheduled would you post freq and time?
Old 08-12-2013, 17:31   #2

I have a newly installed M802 with an AT140 tuner. The tuner is mounted outside about 1' from my backstay and I have been experimenting with the counter poise.

At present I am connected to my stern rail , life lines, 100% of my starboard toe rail and 30% the port toe rail. They were never grounded and I hope to RFI in my other electronics.
Old 08-12-2013, 19:23   #3

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48
Re: SSB active nets

Try the Northwest Caribbean Net on 6209 at 1400UCT
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 21:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontno1 View Post
Try the Northwest Caribbean Net on 6209 at 1400UCT
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:54   #5
Eternal Member

You can find a pretty good list of both marine SSB and ham SSB nets here:

SSB Nets & Frequencies

Don't forget to try listening to WWV on 5.0, 10.0, 15.0 and 20.0 mHz for the time ticks -- 24hrs per day.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27   #6

Thanks for the input.

While I have some lists of published nets, I haven't seen anything on the net or on any forums dealing with real time reports of active transmissions or conversations.

For instance just now, 12:18 Central Time, on channels 13-17 on the M802( 2500-20000 ) the time signal was fairly clear on 14,15&16.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37   #7
Eternal Member

Not sure what you're looking for.

WWV in Ft. Collins Colorado will ALWAYS be copyable on one or another of it's frequencies (from 2.5 to 20mHz). Which will be loudest will depend on propagation at the time between your location and the transmitter in Colorado. You'll also likely be able to copy WWVH in Honolulu sometimes on some frequencies.

There's no hard and fast rule about which stations will be loudest at your location. It depends entirely on propagation at the moment you're listening and, of course, on transmitted power from the station. Propagation changes throughout the day. It can change over a period of hours or even minutes. One minute you can't hear a particular station, then the next minute it will be very loud and clear.

To be able to use your radio effectively, you'll need to learn about radio propagation, bands and frequencies, nets, etc.

I'd suggest one of the best ways to learn about these is to listen a lot. Pick a station you can hear pretty well, and listen to it over time. Pick a net and listen over time. Ham nets are very good for this purpose. In particular, the MM Service Net on 14300 kHz is on much of the day and is good to listen to.

Also, consult the scheduled weather broadcasts from the USCG, and tune into them.

It may seem daunting at first, but if you begin simply and stick with it you'll learn a lot about using your radio effectively.

Bill
Old 09-12-2013, 10:38   #8

If there is any regular chatter within 100 miles of me (other than Ham) I haven't found the freqs.

I am operating on my ships station (WFG5335) and RR license.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41   #9
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
If there is any regular chatter within 100 miles of me (other than Ham) I haven't found the freqs.

I am operating on my ships station (WFG5335) and RR license.
1. Where are you?

2. Why 100 miles? That means nothing.

Bill
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45   #10

Thanks Bill.

As you might expect, I installed the SSB for emergencies and weather. I expect to do whatever study is necessary and then hand the mic over to my lady to be the primary operator. She is pretty good at chatting while I am something of a mumbler.

What I am looking for at the moment is a few simple radio checks in an area that doesn't seem to have a lot of traffic.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:00   #11
Eternal Member

Where are you? I may be able to give you some hints at radio checks.

Also, note that for use in emergencies it is a VERY GOOD IDEA to learn to use the radio AND to learn at least the basics of radio propagation. There is a ton of material on this subject, i.e., HF Radio Wave Propagation. There are explanations and even online tutorials available.

It's really not enough to have just a hazy general understanding. You really need to spend the time necessary to become comfortable with your radio, and with the frequencies/channels which will be most useful to you.

Bill
Old 09-12-2013, 11:02   #12

I am near Houston.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
As posted, within 100nm is not a restriction and really wont be a good test of your installation. At that distance you will probably just be within ground wave propagation range. Even a not so good installation will probably work at that range.

The dockside list posted is a good one. Some nets you will find active at this time of year will be NW Caribbean, Chris Parker, Panama Connection and less so the SW Caribbean Net. Always active stations are WWV (24 x 7) and the USCG weather broadcasts (per schedule only).

See link below for USCG's NMG (New Orleans) station schedule. There are also other USCG stations on east and west coast whose schedules you can find on the NOAA site. Most of NMG's broadcasts are weather fax (which sound like a FAX machine) but the "High Seas Forecast" is a voice broadcast.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfgulf_links.htm
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27   #14
Eternal Member

belizesailor,

Thanks. You beat me to it. All excellent suggestions.

Unfortunately, I believe ShipCom has suspended operations (that is/was the "marine operator" in Mobile Alabama). If so, it will be a big loss to the boating community. They were always there on several frequencies with big antennas, weather broadcasts, traffic lists, and a cheery voice.

From Houston, I'd also keep an ear tuned to the ham nets (like 14300 MM Service Net, Pacific Seafarers Net, etc.). Even if you can't transmit without a ham license, you can get a real good idea about propagation conditions from various parts of the country.

Also, the 802 can be used like a ham radio with a tuning knob. Wouldn't hurt a bit to tune up and down the 20-meter voice band (14150-14350 kHz) and see what you hear.

You don't have to transmit to have a good idea about propagation. In general, the rule is if you can hear a station quite strongly -- and if you have a decent installation -- they would be able to hear you quite well if you transmit.

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
As posted, within 100nm is not a restriction and really wont be a good test of your installation. At that distance you will probably just be within ground wave propagation range. Even a not so good installation will probably work at that range. The dockside list posted is a good one. Some nets you will find active at this time of year will be NW Caribbean, Chris Parker, Panama Connection and less so the SW Caribbean Net. Always active stations are WWV (24 x 7) and the USCG weather broadcasts (per schedule only). See link below for USCG's NMG (New Orleans) station schedule. There are also other USCG stations on east and west coast whose schedules you can find on the NOAA site. Most of NMG's broadcasts are weather fax (which sound like a FAX machine) but the "High Seas Forecast" is a voice broadcast. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/hfgulf_links.htm
Thanks for the reply.

I have the lists from Dockside plus those that came with the radio documentation and others that I have found on the web

What I am looking for is more along the lines of someone that is on their radio and this forum that is willing to help me with a radio check.