Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 02:44   #1

SPX30 with p70 controller to use ST60

hi

so arrived in St Helena with broken p70 pilot controller - can get the older stile st60 pilot controller second hand - will it work with the spx 30 course computer ? Is setup easy ? Can you run the whole setup without the rudder reference as this also seems to decided to call it a day

Thanks
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 17:34   #2

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: SPX30 with p70 controller to use ST60

I'd be surprised if it worked without the rudder sensor.

You should ask here, Raymarine techs respond pretty quickly to technical questions.
Raymarine Technical Forum
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 12:55   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

I have the instruction manual for the new EV-1, ACU autopilot and it shows the ST6002 pilot controller as being compatible. Though it will require a Seatalk to Seatalkng converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 14:09   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a SPX10 with a ST60 pilot head and it uses the rudder reference that was part of my old AP system. The SPX10/30 will accept the older Seatalk connections.
Old 15-01-2015, 14:15   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Hermit,
Sorry to read of your troubles....

And, while I think you've gotten the correct answers, I'd also confirm these with Raymarine via e-mail...
And no, I do not think it will work properly, without the rudder sensor working....but...
BUT...
Are you sure that the "control head" and "rudder reference sensor" are both bad??? And, the corepak / course computer is fine???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
so arrived in St Helena with broken p70 pilot controller - can get the older stile st60 pilot controller second hand - will it work with the spx 30 course computer ? Is setup easy ? Can you run the whole setup without the rudder reference as this also seems to decided to call it a day

Thanks
I would caution you to make sure that the course computer is working correctly, and that all of your troubles are with the other components, before you spend the money on them...
(because my first thought is a wiring issue, or a corepak issue....unless you've already eliminated those as possible issues...the rudder reference sensor is just a resistor....and I've only seen control heads go "bad" when the other things caused them to, such as lightning strike!!)

Good luck...and Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote