Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2017, 17:43   #16

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Re: Sounder: Transponder alternative to thru hull

None of the stick it to the hull systems work really well, although some work well enough. Apparently if one wishes to keep the transducer out of contact with the ocean, one way of so doing is to set a panel of polycarbonate into the hull like an underwater window, then to glue on to this an angled pipe so that the pipe end will be parallel to the deck. This is then filled with water and the transducer placed therein. The theory is that polycarbonate has an identical density to sea-water and is invisible to the transducer.

I used a through-hull one. No problems.

Lotsa luck.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 20:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Are you really using some kind of sonar transponder? (a device that replies to an interrogation) or are we discussing transducers?
Sorry, I get them mixed up all the time. Transducer, not transponder. My bad on that one.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 20:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
None of the stick it to the hull systems work really well, although some work well enough. Apparently if one wishes to keep the transducer out of contact with the ocean, one way of so doing is to set a panel of polycarbonate into the hull like an underwater window, then to glue on to this an angled pipe so that the pipe end will be parallel to the deck. This is then filled with water and the transducer placed therein. The theory is that polycarbonate has an identical density to sea-water and is invisible to the transducer.

I used a through-hull one. No problems.

Lotsa luck.
Interesting idea. Its not so much that I dont want it to have contact with the ocean, just not permanently until I figure out a few other things (bottom condition and growth, paint, etc which require a haulout). I was thinking making some sort of jig that I can deploy when I'm out and pack back inside when I'm not.

I do have a motor well, but a previous owner (a racer) glassed it over to reduce drag. I had thought about dropping the jig down there with minimal hassle, but I'm not about to go smashing through fibreglass because if it ain't broke dont fix it is the best way to treat a well floating hull.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 16:37   #19

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

attach the transponder to the bottom of 3/4 or 1-inch Sch80 PVC pipe, rig to transom with stainless or nylon fittings above the water line. Run the transponder wire inside the PVC pipe
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, thru hull