Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-10-2013, 04:37   #16

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post

I found out that the Sony Xperia Tablet Z surprisingly does NOT have an inbuilt GPS, so its of my list. Ipad is looking more interesting now.
It does have an inbuilt gps.

Old 27-10-2013, 04:43   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
It does have an inbuilt gps.
I was told at two different shops that it does not, when I specifically asked if it has GPS.
This was in Malaysia. Maybe they have different specs in other countries.

Old 27-10-2013, 05:00   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have the phone version of this tablet -- Sony Experia Z -- and it is brilliant. I am a smartphone user since the original Sony P800i, and I have to say that this is a real leap forward. Waterproofness is a huge benefit for sailors. How many phones have you killed with water? I can't count them. I've dropped two just in the bilge.

I use an IPad for navigation, but I strongly dislike the OS and whole ideology of this device. I will ditch it and buy one of these Sonys just as soon as OpenCPN is available for Android. If it's anything like my phone, it will be incomparably better than an IPad.
Old 27-10-2013, 05:13   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I was told at two different shops that it does not, when I specifically asked if it has GPS.
The Sony Z Tablet has not only GPS, but also an electronic compass. See: Sony Xperia Tablet Z review: Stepping up - GSMArena.com
Old 27-10-2013, 05:18   #20

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:

Suspect the shops have got it wrong. The gps is good on it, locks on fast.

Full spec here..

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-5204.php

Lovely machine with great battery life.
Old 27-10-2013, 05:24   #21

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I believe it has GLONASS as well.
Old 27-10-2013, 05:37   #22

I've been on the verge of buying an Xperia Z Ultra phone for weeks now. . . . 6.4-inch screen, waterproof, Snapdragon 800 chipset. It would be amazing for use on the boat, but for land life, I'm not sure I want to tote that big phone around on my belt all day.

Now there are rumors of a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 "Active" version, a 5.7 inch screen, and waterproof. The overall phone size of the Galaxy Note 3 is more manageable (151 x 79 x 8.3 mm vs. 179 x 92 x 6.5 mm for the Xperia Z Ultra), so I'm waiting to see if that Active version appears anytime soon. Its ratio of screen size to overall device size is better.

But in general, I love these two trends in cell phones: waterproof and larger screen size.

My Droid 3 regularly fails in fog, mist, or simple boat dampness. Maddening. Can't wait to ditch it.

I want the Xperia Tablet Z, too, but a good-size phablet might be all I need.
Old 27-10-2013, 06:45   #23

Just wanted to follow up on the GLONASS thing. I checked around and it seems the LTE version of the Z Tablet does have GLONASS, and for the Wifi version it's "market dependent." Not sure which markets get it and which don't. . ..
Old 03-11-2013, 19:53   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Suspect the shops have got it wrong. The gps is good on it, locks on fast.

Full spec here..

Sony Xperia Z - Full phone specifications

Lovely machine with great battery life.

Actually the link takes to the smartphone specs, not the tablet specs. Anyways, I went to a local Sony shop and tried to milk the information about the GPS on the Sony Xperia Tablet Z and it became evident that it DOES have the GPS. What a circus.. lol! Apparently the language barrier has been too much at the previous shops to make the issue clear enough. So what they apparently MEANT (but didn't say) was that at sea the GPS doesn't work as the Tablet normally needs a data connection to work, for an application such as the Google Maps. But, as I was told at the Sony shop, if you have a SUITABLE application (such as the Navionics charts) the Tablet GPS WILL work as the application enables functionality without data connection.

So now I'm back at deciding between the waterproof android Sony Xperia Tablet Z and Ipad... I pad is not waterproof, looks a little more expensive, but has a waterproof case available, and people seem to like it. And the new I pad Air is in the shops now.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:08   #25

Compared the Sony Xperia Tablet Z and the new Ipad Air screen brightnesses in a shop against each other, set up at maximum; Ipad was brighter. No chance to compare outdoors in the sunshine though.
Ipad wifi + cellular 32GB & 64GB models would be costing more after buying the "mandatory" waterproof case (which the waterproof Sony would not need).
Decisions, decisions...
Old 14-07-2014, 21:06   #26

Boat: RH52

I read a lot of these threads looking for an answer to my question but sadly, get more confused then when I started.
I wish to use Open CPN in my 10" Xperia tablet but first I have to root it... Please one step at a time... Rooting first.
I am sure that there are people in the forum that really know how to ROOT a tablet. I went to the links provided on how to install Linux and read...and got more confused... The first step, the rooting, looks a lot harder to me than it probably is...
Is there a way that those of you that know how to ROOT a table can start a thread and give the straight instructions there, in this site...?
Perhaps those who managed to root a Galaxy tablet could post their steps in a thread only for that tablet. Since the 10" size is about the smallest tablet one should use then perhaps limit the discussions to 10" tablets.
I have a Sony Xperia tablet that I purchased because of the ability to withstand a splash of water - or some more - I had an htc that died with just a little splash... besides the processing capabilities and... price, as compared to the Ipad Air... By the way, the Sony Xperia tablet Wifi (no cell) SGP311 does have a GPS... The Ipad Air Wifi version does not come with GPS...to get the GPS you have to buy the Cell version - I found out the hard way.
So, please, those of you with the knowledge, help!!!! The first step to get Open CPN is to root, well, lets forget about Linux until wey have our tablet rooted...
Rooting, I understand, is reversible, and one should backup all data...so need to find a back up program...and I am finding out a lot of other apps just to get started.... there are a lot of things that one need to learn just to ROOT the tablet... !
Help us with that... we can move to Linux the next step...in another thread...
Thanks all for your help

Old 14-07-2014, 21:51   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I tried this on a tablet. IMO it is not a reliable solution. yet.
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 12:08   #28

Boat: RH52

Hello
I managed to root my xperia Z - have the setps if anyone is interested and install linux deploy in it.
Since I don't know much about android or linux it was a bit complicated for me to understand what was going on.
I have not install OpenCPN yet because I don't know which version to install and I don't know where linux is install in the android root. I try following some steps but the tablet say "file not found" or something like that.
I am writing here because there are some of you that know about this and perhaps can give me a had.
The vnc viewers that I downloaded work ok but the display is real big so the items are seen very very small...can some one tell me how to make the vnc viewer look ..normal?
thank you
felipe
Old 26-07-2014, 02:18   #29

What is wrong with mx mariner for android?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: