Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 09:38   #16

Boat: too many
Re: so why do i need a ham license in mexico?

When I was last cruising (pre-GPS), HAM radio was what you used for comms with other cruisers that were out of VHF range, and friends/family back home via phone patch. Also checked into nets that wrote down our current speed and position so family could follow our progress. Now we have the Internet and wi-fi along with Sat phones, and AIS tracking, so HAM is taking a back seat with the cruising class of the 21st century.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:41   #17

If the rules seem odd, take a listen on CB frequencies and see where things devolve to.
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 09:57   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sorry Dockhead , now I remember this the UK operates both CEPT T/R 61-01 , which is where your M/ cones from

Equally they also operate CEPT T/R 61-02 where you can be issued a local call sign.

Dave
Correct. The M/ identifies you as operating in the UK ("M" is UK national identifier). "MM" is maritime mobile.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:07   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Correct. The M/ identifies you as operating in the UK ("M" is UK national identifier). "MM" is maritime mobile.
Yeah its all l coming back now , maybe ill rig up the icom 7000 again I've think I only used amateur at sea once , and on land about less then a 6 times in 15 years.

Its interesting to note that 61-01 offcom says that prefix is for visitors. I would have thought in your case yiu would have applied for the local call sign under 61-02.

That's what initially confused me. As that was what was suggested I moved my Irish license across.

Dave
Old 17-08-2013, 10:08   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:

Yeah its all l coming back now , maybe ill rig up the icom 7000 again I've think I only used amateur at sea once , and on land about less then a 6 times in 15 years.

Dave
OK, get it up, and I'll try to "work you" from Bursledon! Cheers.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 17-08-2013, 10:10   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

OK, get it up, and I'll try to "work you" from Bursledon! Cheers.
I'm up the road from there next week. Know the area well. Are you near the bridge ?
Old 17-08-2013, 10:11   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rh--you consistently downplay importance of knowing mexico and mexicans-these people are not all baja residents there are some incredibly intelligent and modern inhabitants of this not as backward as you seem to think nation.
mexico is a lot more modern than you seem to credit them ....try getting to know the area.
i do not sail baja as the folks are all gringos. on mainland mexico many folks are wealthy mexicans. excellent modern folks. not all mexicans are cartel folks, either--rich mexicans are not all corrupt cartel thugs.

you would be surprised exactly how modern it is here in mainland mexico, away from gringoland influences. is an awesome cool place to play extended visit.
banderas bay has a radio licensing place that is used by most of the pacific puddle jump rally boaters.
omg they even have boat engine parts and decent foodstuffs..they even use good quality toilet paper and paper towels. computers made in mexico actually work better than made in china...go figger.

sorry i forgot to include the nice bit of news that came up this week that usa is claiming canada and mexico as part of the homeland..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:24   #23

You can transmit..... but hams wont talk to you unless it's an emergency.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:33   #24

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

and as a licence holder you benefit from the use of Winlink's packet radio "airmail" allowing you to send email out of range of land-based internet connection without the restrictions or costs associated with sailmail.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 11:41   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I'm up the road from there next week. Know the area well. Are you near the bridge ?
Indeed, quite near the bridge, almost opposite the Jolly Sailor. My own little piece of heaven between two piles. Alas, I am out of the UK until 12 Sept. If you're around after that come over for dinner on board.
Walt Whitman
Old 17-08-2013, 11:47   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rebel Heart,

You could probably get a normal Mexican ham radio license, as compared with a reciprocal Mexican license, if your code and language skills are up to it. Their requirements may be more difficult to meet than the US ones. Otherwise, having the US license will be accepted in place of your having passed their test. I, personally, am not up to date on what their requirements are, but you could probably find out online.

Hams all over the world do look up the call sign you say on the air, and if it is not a legitimate one, they will refuse to chat with you; however, as stated above, they will handle emergency traffic for you.

There are marine single sideband frequencies that also have travelers' nets, and if you're willing to put up with them [they are not as disciplined as the hams, in general], your FCC license for the VHF and SSB allows you to participate there. You pays your money and effort and takes your choice.

It may be "silly", but you know, there's a lot of craziness in the world.

Ann
Old 17-08-2013, 12:28   #27

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rh--you consistently downplay importance of knowing mexico and mexicans-these people are not all baja residents there are some incredibly intelligent and modern inhabitants of this not as backward as you seem to think nation.
mexico is a lot more modern than you seem to credit them ....try getting to know the area.
i do not sail baja as the folks are all gringos. on mainland mexico many folks are wealthy mexicans. excellent modern folks. not all mexicans are cartel folks, either--rich mexicans are not all corrupt cartel thugs.

you would be surprised exactly how modern it is here in mainland mexico, away from gringoland influences. is an awesome cool place to play extended visit.
banderas bay has a radio licensing place that is used by most of the pacific puddle jump rally boaters.
omg they even have boat engine parts and decent foodstuffs..they even use good quality toilet paper and paper towels. computers made in mexico actually work better than made in china...go figger.

sorry i forgot to include the nice bit of news that came up this week that usa is claiming canada and mexico as part of the homeland..
Agree on everything but this time of year it is all hot, but mainland is hot and humid while Baja is hot and dry. Plus I like the old Baja charm of Muluge and Santa Rosalia (vs the high dollar gringo land of Cabo) and Guaymas is just across the S of C for all your "big box and cheap" store needs.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 13:05   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: So, Why do I need a Ham License in Mexico?

I know that back in the 80's Mexico had a reciprocal agreement with the US on your HAM license. As a graduate of the 'Gordon West School of instant Radio Proficiency' in San Diego (when you needed 12 wpm morse code for a General, I think), cruising south, our first stop was in Ensenada and about 4 blocks inland from Baja Naval was the office where they copied my Canadian and US licenses and for $100 pesos gave me a Mexican license which was prefrixed by EX or XE or something like that.
We used the SSB a lot for the nets when we were cruising (Sonrisa was our favorite in the Golfo de California) and also chatted with some of the Transpac boats during their race across to Hawaii.
Prior to that after I got my Canadian SW license, I actually talked with the Shah of Iran who was a real Shortwave nut and he mailed me his card and call sign which I've lost unfortunately. This was back in the early 70's when SW was a hobby from home. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 14:43   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Glad Rebel Heart posted this! I read that the UN oversees the HAM. I thought, even though we are getting our license here in US, it was an international license. Stupid, I know. In all my travels, I never heard anyone mentioning they had to do this when in a new port.

Anyways, we take the tech class next weekend. The more I pre study for the class, the more I can see me becoming a total ham nerd .
Old 17-08-2013, 14:54   #30

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

To reduce the confusion...you need a HAM license, otherwise you'll be talking TURKEY!...and that's a lot of gobble gobble! (Turkeys are cheap around here!)

Mauritz
Going to behave now!

Tags
license, Mexico, mexico