Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 16:56   #76
cruiser

Re: So I Am Buying an iPad, Which One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Here is my iPad 3 at the helm. It works, but in bright noon time light my chartplotter is far better
I don't see a lot of difference between them looking at your pic actually.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 17:03   #77

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
I don't see a lot of difference between them looking at your pic actually.
Your right, with that picture it looks the same.
The problem comes when you need to put a zip lock bag over the iPad so it will not get wet. Then it starts to become hard to view.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1145795
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 17:16   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Your right, with that picture it looks the same.
The problem comes when you need to put a zip lock bag over the iPad so it will not get wet. Then it starts to become hard to view.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1145795
Fair point. I do think however chartplotter manufacturers are going to need a rethink about their product and it's cost. A chartplotter with the equivalent screen size would force me to almost take out a mortgage. So for me there is no question whatsoever that an IPAD will be my chartplotter, sunlight problems or not.

On another matter, it is also my understanding that a little bluetooth unit like an Xdual-GPS ensures you will always have GPS position on your IPAD nav app whether you have the internal GPS version or just the wi-fi IPAD version or not.

It is also my understanding you never need buy a sim card for the internal GPS version of IPAD to give you a position.
Old 08-02-2013, 17:51   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The internal GPS normally outperforms an external GPS for the same price so buying internal GPS is better. It also supports GLONASS so is more than GPS. I'm not sure if the Dual supports GLONASS.

A ziplock bag can't compete with a glass lens which to me is no surprise. Logic dictates that replacing the ziplock bag with a waterproof case with good quality lens solves that problem.

It is correct that you need no SIM card for the GPS to work.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 18:06   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The internal GPS normally outperforms an external GPS for the same price so buying internal GPS is better. It also supports GLONASS so is more than GPS. I'm not sure if the Dual supports GLONASS.

A ziplock bag can't compete with a glass lens which to me is no surprise. Logic dictates that replacing the ziplock bag with a waterproof case with good quality lens solves that problem.

It is correct that you need no SIM card for the GPS to work.

Yes, apparently the IPAD w/internal GPS will give you a position even in mid ocean- but be good to get some confirmation of that from someone who has tested that for real.
At less than $100 bucks, a bluetooth receiver like X-dual ensures you will never have to worry if it does or not. A similar product is the strangely named "Bad-Elf" which does the same thing.
Old 08-02-2013, 18:11   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, apparently the IPAD w/internal GPS will give you a position even in mid ocean- but be good to get some confirmation of that from someone who has tested that for real.
At less than $100 bucks, a bluetooth receiver like X-dual ensures you will never have to worry if it does or not. A similar product is the strangely named "Bad-Elf" which does the same thing.
I don't understand your worry. You want a less ideal solution because of a worry that only exists in your mind?
Old 08-02-2013, 18:19   #82
cruiser

Quote:
I don't understand your worry. You want a less ideal solution because of a worry that only exists in your mind?
Eh? I did just ask if anyone that's crossed an Ocean has tested out the ability of the IPAD with internal GPS to still give you a position. And I am not the only one to question this. A certain five time circumnaviagtor asked the same thing: Evanston: props; clarification; iPadding
Old 08-02-2013, 18:22   #83

Community Sponsor

Quote:
I 2nd that. Why 2nd guess something that works, built in, out of the box.
Old 08-02-2013, 18:30   #84
cruiser

Quote:
I 2nd that. Why 2nd guess something that works, built in, out of the box.

Jeezuz guys was just asking the question! If it will still give you a position mid ocean then all is well in life and we can confine Xdual and Badelfs to the dustbin.
Old 08-02-2013, 18:33   #85

Community Sponsor

Quote:

Jeezuz guys was just asking the question! If it will still give you a position mid ocean then all is well in life and we can confine Xdual and Badelfs to the dustbin.
Yes, Dustbin
Old 08-02-2013, 18:49   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's nothing special about being mid-ocean; the GPS and GLONASS satellites are overhead, at similar distances from you wherever you are.

What is confusing you is that you need to buy the 3G/4G model to get GPS. They should have called it the Navigation model instead.
Old 09-02-2013, 00:14   #87

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots

It even works in the South Pacific where some satellite phone systems (and the Spot devices) do not have coverage.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.spots View Post
It even works in the South Pacific where some satellite phone systems (and the Spot devices) do not have coverage.
Most of those services are implemented with geostationary satellites; this means they are stationary when observed from Earth and they are above the equator. This makes them unusable from polar regions extending out to South Pacific.

Other services, incl. GPS, GLONASS and Iridium use low orbit satellites and cover the whole planet.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:09   #89

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:

Fair point. I do think however chartplotter manufacturers are going to need a rethink about their product and it's cost. A chartplotter with the equivalent screen size would force me to almost take out a mortgage. So for me there is no question whatsoever that an IPAD will be my chartplotter, sunlight problems or not.

On another matter, it is also my understanding that a little bluetooth unit like an Xdual-GPS ensures you will always have GPS position on your IPAD nav app whether you have the internal GPS version or just the wi-fi IPAD version or not.

It is also my understanding you never need buy a sim card for the internal GPS version of IPAD to give you a position.
We have used a iPad 4G for navigation. While not exactly offshore, BVI to Fajardo PR, it guided us quite well though the maze of reefs here. We do have a chartplotter, but I had forgotten to bring the SIM card when we picked the boat up in the BVI. We would probably never use the iPad as our primary, but I confident that if everything else failed the iPad would get us safely to our destination. I should also note the iPad was not purchased for navigation purpose, mostly for entertainment. However, the navigation abilities was a nice bonus.

Before the bashing starts, let me also say we carry paper charts as well -- we are a belt and suspenders type of couple!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:31   #90
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

Yes it does work.

I know there's still naysayers on the net so on my last passage I screen shot it in mid atlantic. But the photo is on my iPad... and one cant get stuff off it onto a real computer without the net... and my net is on the real computer at the moment. LOL

I will load it next time I'm ashore with the iPad

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Ipad, ipad