Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42   #16

Re: smart phones used as stand alone GPS

I've used iNavX on an iPhone and it was pretty great. I have an android and it works as a gps but I find it harder to use

I wanted an Ipad but decided I couldn't afford it right now and got a Garmin Montana (used). Going to use as backup and a 'main' plotter in the dinghy.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45   #17

Boat: Seaward 22

it works. just make sure you have a charger handy because it can chew through batteries.....at least mine does. Won't make it 12 hrs.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:51   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Always have the Iphone & Ipad at the ready as a GPS/Chartplotter backup
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18   #19

We've had good luck with 2 android phones (Droid X and Razr Maxx) and an android tablet (Toshiba Thrive), using the Navionics app for planning (and daydreaming), and in the cockpit in good weather. But we also do have a chartplotter and a backup hand-held gps - and wouldn't leave home without them.

- Mark
mgirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52   #20

Boat: private yacht always moving

what ever happened to paper charts, dividers, triangles, parallel rullers., and a good pair of eyes, along with a depthfinder?????????

are there any real sailors left????????

Bring back CAPTAINADD
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
what ever happened to paper charts, dividers, triangles, parallel rullers., and a good pair of eyes, along with a depthfinder?????????

Bring back CAPTAINADD

Don't worry too much, you're allowed to use both paper and electronic. Even at the same time

Real sailors use anything and everything they can get their hands on
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:19   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post

Bring back CAPTAINADD
Like what?

Real sailors do not use iPhones? Real sailors use parallel rulers?

Well, I have neither, and yet, somehow ...

;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46   #23

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Like what?

Real sailors do not use iPhones? Real sailors use parallel rulers?

Well, I have neither, and yet, somehow ...

;-)
b.
yes but in order to be a real sailor your boat has to leave the dock
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46   #24

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I guess I'll never be a real sailor. But I'm sure having a lot of fun pretending to be.

The back up to my plotter at the helm, laptop, handheld gps, and paper, is a no contract Go-Phone from wal mart. An Andriod Fusion smart phone.

The gps works independent of the cell system, is accurate as well. Charts are downloaded free from NOAA since I'm Gulf Coast based.

Pretty handy for me as a phone, fm radio, wifi web browser, chart plotter, and nav aid on land as well. Not bad for $125 no contract.

Actually, even without a phone sim installed it's worth that for the other functions.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:00   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ

Bring back CAPTAINADD
I have all of the above, plus maneuvering boards, hand bearing compasses, pencils and erasers, and I update my charts per the Local Notices to Mariners and List List updates that the USCG email to me on my iPhone every Wednesday.

But I also have RADAR, a Raymarine chart plotter, a fish finder, hand-held GPS, handheld VHF with GPS, stationary VHF with AIS and dedicated GPS.

Plus, everyone on my crew is glued to their iPhones for myriad reasons. Navionics USA/Canada was only $4.99 when I bought it, so why not? More useful to me is the NOAA Buoy Data app. Sometimes I use the phone's compass for comparison with other onboard compasses. The Clinometer app is great for finding "level" on an unlevel boat. I keep PDF manuals for all onboard systems on the phone--and frequently refer to them. But then there are all the other reasons: camera/video, music, streaming HD movies into the boat TV, etc. much much more--like typing this post.

Smart phones make life on the boat much easier!
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52   #26

Boat: Telstar 28

I think a good sailor uses all information from all sources. The local charter company tells all charter skippers about EAG, Electronic Assisted Groundings. They claim that most of there groundings are a result of over reliance on the chartplotter. People look at course on plotter, see course is clear, and happily steer the course. They then get set into a rock. This is not just rookies either.

I have to admit that my use of hand bearing compass has been mostly replaced with chartplotter, but it is still on board and easy to get to. Twice I ended up using the chartplotter, since I didn't have the right paper charts with me. I felt blind.

I look at the coast for reference, consult the paper charts, watch the chartplotter, and see what the wind and current appear to be doing. If everything doesn't agree, stop and figure it out.
noreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 15:13   #27

Ticked off at Navionics

Here may be a problem. Two years ago I got a Hero HTC that run 1.6 I waited for the upgrade to 2.1 so that I could run Navionics. This past week I start the app and and informed that an update is available, so I get it. Now the app will not start. I contact Navionics and they inform me that the Hero is no longer supported. I have a year left on my contract so it would cost me money and some inconvience to get a new phone. My wife just got a Hero One - nice, but that does me no good.

It is a good thing I am a committed paper chart users. I run Open CPN in my netbook, so I do have other option.

It is a good thing that updates to paper charts are independent of the OS.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 17:52   #28

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale
Here may be a problem. Two years ago I got a Hero HTC that run 1.6 I waited for the upgrade to 2.1 so that I could run Navionics. This past week I start the app and and informed that an update is available, so I get it. Now the app will not start. I contact Navionics and they inform me that the Hero is no longer supported. I have a year left on my contract so it would cost me money and some inconvience to get a new phone. My wife just got a Hero One - nice, but that does me no good.

It is a good thing I am a committed paper chart users. I run Open CPN in my netbook, so I do have other option.

This is a major Android issue vs the iPhone. There is a chart floating around the Internet showing that almost all Android phones are supported with the current version for something like a year. It's a forced upgrade sales model. My iPhone 3G from several years ago still runs Navionics fine.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 18:17   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale

I used to have a palm pilot. I used to have a blackberry. I used to use compuserve for email.

I am the king of picking the dark horse in technology...

It sucks when your tools fall by the wayside and it can be tough picking the technology that survives long term. I am no longer the early adopter that I used to be.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45   #30

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

I've used an Andriod smartphone and Navionics while bareboating in the Leewards and BVI. Yes, the GPS works great without a cell signal. The boats I have chartered had their chartplotters in the salon, not in the cockpit, so it was very convenient to be able to pull the smartphone out of my pocket to get a quick position fix, check the heading, or read SOG. Yes, I have paper charts and use them as well. The GPS and Navionics charts were also amazingly acurate for those locations.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps