Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2014, 15:22   #31

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Smart Phones, Satellites, and Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3VR L8 View Post
Correct, but it is a purchasable accessory.
That's good to know about the antenna adapter, unless the GO works below decks on its own, of course. I'm a bit concerned about some early glitches I read about awhile back. Hopefully these will be resolved before it officially comes onto the market.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:44   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
That's good to know about the antenna adapter, unless the GO works below decks on its own, of course. I'm a bit concerned about some early glitches I read about awhile back. Hopefully these will be resolved before it officially comes onto the market.
Which glitches were you concerned about? I have one on my desk I would be more than willing to test for you

I would hope everything is sorted as Iridium will be shipping no later than Monday.
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:18   #33

Quote:
Which glitches were you concerned about? I have one on my desk I would be more than willing to test for you

I would hope everything is sorted as Iridium will be shipping no later than Monday.
As I recall, the 'glitches' had to do with the smart phone interface, a feature which I find to be the biggest incentive to swapping out my old 9505A for a GO.
Old 17-07-2014, 10:59   #34

Quote:
As I recall, the 'glitches' had to do with the smart phone interface, a feature which I find to be the biggest incentive to swapping out my old 9505A for a GO.
Hmm well if you can come up with what the glitches consisted of I would be more than happy to try to "break it"

The app itself is available for free download on the google play store and apple store if you'd like to check it out.
Old 17-07-2014, 11:34   #35

Quote:
Hmm well if you can come up with what the glitches consisted of I would be more than happy to try to "break it"

The app itself is available for free download on the google play store and apple store if you'd like to check it out.
I'll definitely check out the app, in my case for an Apple iPhone. Thanks.

I assume from your comments that the pre-release GO that you have is 'glitch-free' and works perfectly, and that you are an Iridium reseller? If so, my limited understanding of the unit is as follows:

1. Connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone via the appropriate free app;
2. Smartphone contact list can be used to make outgoing calls;
3. Smartphone no. can be used for incoming calls, or at least a US (or home country) based phone # can be assigned w/o add'l fees;
4. Has emerg. 911 (in the US) capability, either directly and/or via a smartphone.

Rather than chasing down any purported problems I read about on the internet, perhaps you could confirm the functionality noted above, as well as any other info that may be helpful to interested readers & potential customers.

Thanks for all your input on this useful thread. Dan
Old 17-07-2014, 12:58   #36

Not a reseller, but a service provider and Iridium GO launch partner.

I absolutely would love to clear up any questions/confusion about the GO or other sat comms.

1. Connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone via the appropriate free app; -- It actually connects via WiFi, bluetooth is a line of sight technology so the WiFi is definitely preferred.

2. Smartphone contact list can be used to make outgoing calls; -- Correct, you will have to make sure your contact list includes the appropriate country codes for the number (+1 for U.S. based numbers). The app has a country code list in case you are unsure of the necessary code as well.

3. Smartphone no. can be used for incoming calls, or at least a US (or home country) based phone # can be assigned w/o add'l fees; -- Smart phone number can't be used, however, Iridium has always offered a +1 (480, local here in AZ) number for an additional monthly fee (roughly $6). They also offer 2-stage dialing free of charge.

4. Has emerg. 911 (in the US) capability, either directly and/or via a smartphone. -- The GO can be used with GEOS, much like the Iridium extreme and also has an SOS key which can be programmed to the number(s) and message recipients of your liking.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about the device. We are also a launch partner for the IsatHub and as I mentioned earlier in the thread I have one en-route to my office.

Quote:
I'll definitely check out the app, in my case for an Apple iPhone. Thanks.

I assume from your comments that the pre-release GO that you have is 'glitch-free' and works perfectly, and that you are an Iridium reseller? If so, my limited understanding of the unit is as follows:

1. Connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone via the appropriate free app;
2. Smartphone contact list can be used to make outgoing calls;
3. Smartphone no. can be used for incoming calls, or at least a US (or home country) based phone # can be assigned w/o add'l fees;
4. Has emerg. 911 (in the US) capability, either directly and/or via a smartphone.

Rather than chasing down any purported problems I read about on the internet, perhaps you could confirm the functionality noted above, as well as any other info that may be helpful to interested readers & potential customers.

Thanks for all your input on this useful thread. Dan
Old 18-07-2014, 10:08   #37

Quote:
Not a reseller, but a service provider and Iridium GO launch partner.

I absolutely would love to clear up any questions/confusion about the GO or other sat comms.

1. Connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone via the appropriate free app; -- It actually connects via WiFi, bluetooth is a line of sight technology so the WiFi is definitely preferred.

2. Smartphone contact list can be used to make outgoing calls; -- Correct, you will have to make sure your contact list includes the appropriate country codes for the number (+1 for U.S. based numbers). The app has a country code list in case you are unsure of the necessary code as well.

3. Smartphone no. can be used for incoming calls, or at least a US (or home country) based phone # can be assigned w/o add'l fees; -- Smart phone number can't be used, however, Iridium has always offered a +1 (480, local here in AZ) number for an additional monthly fee (roughly $6). They also offer 2-stage dialing free of charge.

4. Has emerg. 911 (in the US) capability, either directly and/or via a smartphone. -- The GO can be used with GEOS, much like the Iridium extreme and also has an SOS key which can be programmed to the number(s) and message recipients of your liking.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about the device. We are also a launch partner for the IsatHub and as I mentioned earlier in the thread I have one en-route to my office.
Thank you for all the useful info. Let's hope the GO is a winner out of the box. I, for one, view it is as one of the more exciting sat-based communications developments that have been introduced in awhile. Dan
Old 18-07-2014, 10:35   #38

Quote:
Thank you for all the useful info. Let's hope the GO is a winner out of the box. I, for one, view it is as one of the more exciting sat-based communications developments that have been introduced in awhile. Dan
I agree, definitely a game changer
Old 18-07-2014, 11:39   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I agree, definitely a game changer

Given that Iridium GO is in effect a headless sat phone with a wifi interface. I don't see it as " game changing " it has no more ability then a standard phone , in reality

Dave
Old 18-07-2014, 12:00   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Given that Iridium GO is in effect a headless sat phone with a wifi interface. I don't see it as " game changing " it has no more ability then a standard phone , in reality

Dave
Dave,

The GO does not stop at voice/text. The protocol is extremely developer friendly so more applications will continue to follow. It also allows a more user friendly interface for "sat phone" use.

MOST importantly, it has spurred other carriers to introduce BYOD devices as well, such as the Hub.
Old 18-07-2014, 18:22   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Dave,

The GO does not stop at voice/text. The protocol is extremely developer friendly so more applications will continue to follow. It also allows a more user friendly interface for "sat phone" use.

MOST importantly, it has spurred other carriers to introduce BYOD devices as well, such as the Hub.

Yes but until we see fundamental improvements in Iridiums communications bandwidth, all its devices are constrained by its original sat based protocols and limitations,

The Go device can't ultimately provide any extra services over a basic phone in reality The Iridium service is fixed at (a) Voice Calls ( b) SMS & (c) SBD services. The first two require a full phone SIM

BYOD is hardly game changing though. It will not see additional services or take-up. That will only come with additional "over the air " services. ( the obvious ones being pseudo broadband, especially since Inmarsat has effectively dumped the small data user )

A "game changer" would be say 250Kbs at $1 per 100 megs ! with an installed equipment cost of $1000. Voice is last century stuff.
dave
Old 18-07-2014, 19:36   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but until we see fundamental improvements in Iridiums communications bandwidth, all its devices are constrained by its original sat based protocols and limitations,

The Go device can't ultimately provide any extra services over a basic phone in reality The Iridium service is fixed at (a) Voice Calls ( b) SMS & (c) SBD services. The first two require a full phone SIM

BYOD is hardly game changing though. It will not see additional services or take-up. That will only come with additional "over the air " services. ( the obvious ones being pseudo broadband, especially since Inmarsat has effectively dumped the small data user )

A "game changer" would be say 250Kbs at $1 per 100 megs ! with an installed equipment cost of $1000. Voice is last century stuff.
dave
You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but I can tell you the vast majority whole-heartedly disagree with this assessment.

Obviously you know the NEXT satellites will provide a higher bandwidth for Iridium services.

If you don't think the BYOD movement is strides above the conventional satellite phone, I'm not sure what to tell you. Baby steps my friend It is progress.
Old 18-07-2014, 20:05   #43

It seems the distinction being made, which I think is a valid one, is the difference b'twn the performance of the technology (in this case bandwidth, reception, coverage, etc.) vs. the user interface. The GO apparently doesn't improve on the former, but makes its usage all the easier given how it can sync with a smartphone, i.e. a device most everyone is familiar with. It's perhaps more of a convenience type of improvement, but one which will attract many who find that desirable (like me!).

Btw, does the GO allow the same sort of smartphone interface for data as well?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 19-07-2014, 03:45   #44
Nearly an old salt

I know this is an "angels on a pin" debate

Quote:
If you don't think the BYOD movement is strides above the conventional satellite phone, I'm not sure what to tell you. Baby steps my friend It is progress.
Absolutly , its progress. even though I feel that I personally would not like to reply on my fragile consumer phone as a key safety device. Is it a "game changer", i.e. is this technology going to bring in loads of extra customers to the sat phone business. No I don't think so. That will happen when decent data speeds arrive.

dave
Old 03-08-2014, 18:52   #45

Anyone have updates on the Isathub launch? It looks really interesting.

N3VR L8, you mentioned you'd be testing it as a launch partner. Any idea on how much of an improvement it is, how well it works with BYOD, and the potential data pricing, etc?

I do wonder if IsatHub could work offshore as a (fast) supplement to handheld satphones for data (I'd still plan to keep a handheld phone in case the Isathub can't connect) - what again are the specific constraints of BGAN offshore?

I've been reading various takes on BGAN: doesn't work on moving platforms (but does that mean a platform doing 5-12kts, or just a platform getting bounced around in waves?), or works ok enough (according to some users' reported experience) but may violate the Inmarsat service agreement, etc...

Feels like some confusion to me. Would love to understand the real parameters of BGAN use at sea, given how useful the Isathub could be to some boaters wanting to do more than data sipping offshore, yet without a full fixed system.
galacticair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, phone, satellite