Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 21:22   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Small secondary N2K multi-function display

My navigation system is slowly starting to come together and I'm basing it around a computer with some chart plotter software that will be down below by the nav station. I'd like to add a second display in the cockpit that can be seen from the helm to display a few key bits of information as needed, like bearing to next waypoint, water depth, speed, etc. Something like this: Maretron DSM150-02 Multi-Function High Bright Color Display - Grey for only $396.17 !

The rest of the network is N2K so it needs to be the same but are they all so expensive? I want to get a high-quality piece of equipment so if that's what they cost then I'll just have to wait a little longer for the next piece in the puzzle, but I didn't think what I was looking for was that complicated. I just need to display a couple of numbers from the N2K network so the helmsman can see them and keep the power consumption low. (Although the audible alarms sound like they could be nice.)

Also, I have a 2 old instruments already mounted in 4" holes that stopped working sometime long before I bought the boat. If I could get something that would fit in one those holes that would be perfect!

Any suggestions?
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 23:30   #2

Re: Small secondary N2K multi-function display

the garmin gmi 10 is nice. I think they have a newer now one too. probably cheaper then the maretron. they mount in a hole but I don't know the size off hand.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44   #3

And Furuno has one too. Don't recall the model number. I expect Simrad has one as well.

I'd suggest downloading and reading each of their manuals to be sure you can create a custom view as desired. I expect most, if not all can carve up the screen in various ways and display whatever you want in each, but it would be worth confirming before purchase.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:34   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Garmin GMI20 or Raymarine I70+ , Simrad/B&g Trition, Furnos multi function is too long in the tooth now to bother ( RD 33)

dave
Old 09-01-2014, 16:39   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

AFAIK, the Furuno and Garmin GMI20 are the only ones with a GPS based anchor alarm. The RM i70 is the only one with AIS display.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 15:18   #6

Am thinking of using one of the small new NMEA 2000 instrument displays to display existing NMEA 0183 data from a Nexus server (so I can displays position & wind, and use wind alarm functions when off watch). Am I correct that only the Garmin GMI 10 and GMI 20 displays accept NMEA 0183?

I know I could also use a converter like Actisense to the Raymarine/B&G/Simrad instrument lines, but I don't see why I'd do that unless they are measurably better.

FYI, the boat already has dedicated Nexus displays and old Garmin chartplotters, so no need for a full system upgrade, just a bit of improved display flexibility and alarm functions.
galacticair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 15:28   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by galacticair View Post
Am thinking of using one of the small new NMEA 2000 instrument displays to display existing NMEA 0183 data from a Nexus server (so I can displays position & wind, and use wind alarm functions when off watch). Am I correct that only the Garmin GMI 10 and GMI 20 displays accept NMEA 0183?

I know I could also use a converter like Actisense to the Raymarine/B&G/Simrad instrument lines, but I don't see why I'd do that unless they are measurably better.

FYI, the boat already has dedicated Nexus displays and old Garmin chartplotters, so no need for a full system upgrade, just a bit of improved display flexibility and alarm functions.
The Furuno RD33 has 0183 capability (and port). It will also convert between N2k and 0183. It has a lot of nice features, but the UI is somewhat dated, comparatively.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:11   #8

The Garmin looks nice. The display is a bit bigger, which I really like since it'll be split up to display multiple things, but it's also a lot more expensive than the Maretron. Pretty much everywhere I found it they have it listed for over $500. They say here: Garmin GMI 20 Marine Instrument Display The GPS Store that it comes with the N2K power cable and terminators too, which I don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
AFAIK, the Furuno and Garmin GMI20 are the only ones with a GPS based anchor alarm. The RM i70 is the only one with AIS display.
I don't have AIS, but that could be a nice addition in the future, but I'm not sure how that will work with my OpenCPN set up, and I don't think I need an anchor alarm up top since I'll have one down below already. Now having things like an off-course or water depth alarm could be nice.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:42   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have the larger version of the DSM-150, the 250, which is identical including even screen resolution.

I would never use it for the purpose you state. The display of ordinary sailing and navigation information is exceedingly crude. The raison d' etre of the Maretron displays is to show other N2K data which ordinary displays don't display -- weather, engine data, and so forth. Its strength is that it can display just about any data you have on your network.

For your purposes I would look first at B&G Triton, then Garmin, Raymarine. These are all incomparably nicer for ordinary navigation or sailing data.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:49   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Am I correct that only the Garmin GMI 10 and GMI 20 displays accept NMEA 0183?
Most modern MFD's will convert your NMEA0183 data and put it onto your N2K network. I have a completely new electronics system and tried to avoid NMEA0183, but I have an ultrasonic log which was not available in N2K which I feed into the Zeus plotter at my nav table. It works great and the boat speed data is available everywhere on the network.

If you have room for one, the small (7") MFD's are now sold for ridiculously low prices, sometimes less than $1000, and could be used to display just about anything. The B&G Zeus has a "sail steer" screen which is so cool and so useful, that if I had room somewhere at my helm, I would install one of the small Zeuses exclusively for displaying this screen.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:52   #11

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Am thinking of using one of the small new NMEA 2000 instrument displays to display existing NMEA 0183 data from a Nexus server (so I can displays position & wind, and use wind alarm functions when off watch). Am I correct that only the Garmin GMI 10 and GMI 20 displays accept NMEA 0183
Both will take nmea 0183 from one talker. Check the sentence list before you buy, they do not hear everything.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GMI_20_INST_EN-US.pdf
Opie91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 10:57   #12

I think I'm gunna go with the GMI 20, but is there any way to get it without the power cable and everything? The only extra N2K pieces I need would be a T connecter and a 6m drop cable.
Old 21-01-2014, 13:22   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toubab View Post
I think I'm gunna go with the GMI 20, but is there any way to get it without the power cable and everything? The only extra N2K pieces I need would be a T connecter and a 6m drop cable.
The gmi20 is a very nice unit.

Dave

Tags
fun