Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2015, 11:27   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
SilentOption's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East Coast of America and Keys
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 415
Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Any comments on Sirius XM Marine weather service?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 14:51   #2
CRM
Registered User
 
CRM's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, Texas, USA
Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46
Posts: 33
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Provides good, up-to-date information within their area of coverage.
__________________

__________________
CRM
CRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 15:10   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oregon, USA
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43
Posts: 200
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Our new-to-us boat has a Sirius XM Weather receiver, which I won't use. Guess I'll sell it to pay for other goodies.

We can get a lot more for less money from a PredictWind Pro subscription package. Of course, that presumes you have a SSB and Pactor modem or an Iridium Go or some other means of communicating with PredictWind.

- Rusty
__________________
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 18:35   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
SilentOption's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East Coast of America and Keys
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 415
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Thanks
__________________
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 18:52   #5
Registered User
 
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 1,979
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
Our new-to-us boat has a Sirius XM Weather receiver, which I won't use. Guess I'll sell it to pay for other goodies.

We can get a lot more for less money from a PredictWind Pro subscription package. Of course, that presumes you have a SSB and Pactor modem or an Iridium Go or some other means of communicating with PredictWind.

- Rusty
We find predictwind to be more miss than hit in the San Francisco bay area.

I know its using the US and Canadian data sources.

Are you running a desktop app for predictwind and syncing that through your Pactor andSSB?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 20:11   #6
Registered User
 
ReMetau's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: Hans Christian 33
Posts: 648
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

We used it for our Bahamas trip in 2010 from the keys to Georgetown and were happy with it.
__________________
Don & Diana
s/v ReMetau - a Hans Christian 33
http://www.remetau.com
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:09   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 447
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

I have an older Garmin 540 that I keep around just for that which uses the MUCH less expensive GXM 31 antenna. It is very nice being able to track systems when away from cell coverage and the ability to just turn it on and track a storm takes a couple seconds. I don't get all of the features the new ones have but it is very handy on the boat, especially for making time go faster listening to music, talk radio, news, etc. on the ICW.

The biggest benefit is the ability to just turn it on and have a radar and wind map in a couple seconds.
__________________
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:23   #8
Registered User
 
bgallinger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Jupiter, FL
Boat: Hunter 340
Posts: 350
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to bgallinger
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

I have used it for 2 years in the great lakes and florida/bahamas and its really handy to see thunderstorm cells. I bought the Coastal package which is limited for forcasts. Generally, I'm not impressed with the wind speed graphics page at all.
If you need to call for assistance, be very very sure you have the correct phone number for satellite marine weather.
__________________
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 10:31   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oregon, USA
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43
Posts: 200
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

I'm not knocking XM, it looks really good, but we also want the weather routing and departure planning features which PredictWind includes. Also, XM does not cover all the areas we will be travelling over the next year.

The boat is new to us, and I won't be installing the Pactor until next month. Ideally, it would be great to have both, but it does gets spend for both subscriptions. If we weren't equipped with radar, that might justify XM too. Anyway, we'll test out both before deciding for sure. Having the hardware for both makes it easy to switch if needed.

With PredictWind, we would be using the PC app to make requests and display the data, so the downloads are kept lean. We'd be getting the Pro version which has up to 1 km resolution, depending on area.

leftbrainstuff, which package were/are you using?

- Rusty
__________________
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 11:10   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 447
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
I'm not knocking XM, it looks really good, but we also want the weather routing and departure planning features which PredictWind includes. Also, XM does not cover all the areas we will be travelling over the next year.

The boat is new to us, and I won't be installing the Pactor until next month. Ideally, it would be great to have both, but it does gets spend for both subscriptions. If we weren't equipped with radar, that might justify XM too. Anyway, we'll test out both before deciding for sure. Having the hardware for both makes it easy to switch if needed.

With PredictWind, we would be using the PC app to make requests and display the data, so the downloads are kept lean. We'd be getting the Pro version which has up to 1 km resolution, depending on area.

leftbrainstuff, which package were/are you using?

- Rusty

Sitting at anchor listening to Radio Margaritaville. They skies get a little grey. Hit two buttons and see storms approaching, tracks and winds. All told, 5 seconds to situational awareness.

Old method was to warm up the radar, do a few sweeps and you could see the wall, but not much else. So you tune in, or fire up the Iridium or if you are lucky there is cell or wifi signal in range. Fire up the laptop, wait for the software to load and update...

I think the only difference is the benefit of entertainment value and instant and consistent situational awareness. I have never used it for trip planning.
__________________
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 15:35   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
SilentOption's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East Coast of America and Keys
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 415
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

I have been researching this and it looks like the cheapest way I can display XM weather will cost $699 for some wire and an antenna that connects to my B&G display.
I also looked at a Raymarine option and that costs $699 plus another $1500 minimum of you don't have a compatible display.
I think that is absurd to have buy $700 worth of equipment to then pay $30-$60 month for marine weather. I would think if SiriusXM could get the price for displaying their data reduced they would have a lot more customers. Right now I don't care how useful their info is It's not worth the price of admission for recreational sailing up and down the coast.
__________________
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:15   #12
Registered User
 
deluxe68's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona/Rhode Island
Boat: Swan 432
Posts: 581
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I have been researching this and it looks like the cheapest way I can display XM weather will cost $699 for some wire and an antenna that connects to my B&G display.
I also looked at a Raymarine option and that costs $699 plus another $1500 minimum of you don't have a compatible display.
I think that is absurd to have buy $700 worth of equipment to then pay $30-$60 month for marine weather. I would think if SiriusXM could get the price for displaying their data reduced they would have a lot more customers. Right now I don't care how useful their info is It's not worth the price of admission for recreational sailing up and down the coast.
It would definitely be worth the cost if the coverage was global.
__________________
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 06:31   #13
Registered User
 
TheOffice's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Annapolis
Boat: Hylas 44
Posts: 529
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

I'm installing it for the Annapolis Bermuda race. Bought a Used unit.

Looking for a newer unit for a Raymarine system.
__________________
TheOffice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 19:55   #14
Registered User
 
Pete O Static's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canada and Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII
Posts: 139
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I'm installing it for the Annapolis Bermuda race. Bought a Used unit.

Looking for a newer unit for a Raymarine system.

I always thought the coverage was pretty much limited to 100 miles or so from shore, making it a coastal tool at best.
__________________
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 20:26   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Annapolis, MD
Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Posts: 530
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I have been researching this and it looks like the cheapest way I can display XM weather will cost $699 for some wire and an antenna that connects to my B&G display.
I also looked at a Raymarine option and that costs $699 plus another $1500 minimum of you don't have a compatible display.
I think that is absurd to have buy $700 worth of equipment to then pay $30-$60 month for marine weather. I would think if SiriusXM could get the price for displaying their data reduced they would have a lot more customers. Right now I don't care how useful their info is It's not worth the price of admission for recreational sailing up and down the coast.
Damn, I am cheap. I just rely on my wife at shore relay weather update info to me when I crossing the ocean via InReach text message. It costs $0.5 per 160 char. ..... From my out going message, she knows where I am and where I am heading. She checks the weather and gives me the synopsis. Sometimes she will tell me the highs and the lows are.....hahahah.

I am not so lucky to have a wife who will sail with me in the middle of f....king ocean.
__________________

__________________
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weather

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sirius Weather - What's the Difference ? chadlaroche Marine Electronics 0 22-09-2010 16:54
Intergrating Sirius XM Weather With Maxsea? HHNTR111 Marine Electronics 4 13-03-2010 09:58
Sirius Weather Service mikepremiere Navigation 6 04-09-2009 13:47
Sirius weather radio? alaskadog Marine Electronics 6 05-10-2008 12:13
SR50 SIRIUS Weather Receiver delmarrey Marine Electronics 7 01-06-2007 08:55



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.