Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 03:05   #1

Simrad VHF Handpiece Spiral Cable sheath disintegrating

Hi all: We have a Simrad RD68 VHF radio around 5 years old. The spiral cable sheathing on the handpiece/microphone is disintegrating and exposing bare wires. We are not the only ones this is happening to on Simrad VHF radios. On a recent net within our marina there were three other boats with the same problem happening - all Simrad radios. We are about to go on line to find out the replacement cost of this item, but feel as it is obviously a general problem, there may be some wisdom already out there. Why should we replace it only to have it happen again in another 5 years? Is this planned obsolescence or what? Look forward to your response.

Capn Buck and Pippy
SY Matelot
Old 27-11-2013, 05:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Simrad VHF Handpiece Spiral Cable sheath disintegrating

Where are you located buckandpippy?

See the RD68 Service Manual ➥ http://www.hisse-et-oh.com/system/as...pdf?1324494638

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 10:16   #3

Read this thread from the beginning of the year, which identified the same problem with a few different makes of VHF. Apparently there were some bad batches from a supplier.

Contact Simrad, maybe they're also doing a free replacement.

We have an ICOM radio that's at least 9 years old and the mic cord's still 100%, but our radio is lightly used, and mic cables do deteriorate with handling and use.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 11:03   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

The outside rubber sheath on the cord of my Simrad RD-68 cracked apart leaving the wires exposed. I cut the cord near the plug and desoldered the cord from the mic. I replaced the curly cord with a generic curly mic cord. I soldered the wires at the plug end of the cord to the remains of the original wires at the plug and covered the joint with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. I soldered the other end to the internal connections in the mic. (Note that only two wires in the cord and the shield are used, so almost any cord will work. Look at the service manual which Gord May linked to above.) So far, so good.

The radio was in the salon and seldom used.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:26   #5

I found the microphone cable connector for the Simrad RD68 VHF radio. It is a Conxall/Switchcraft 6282-7SG-3DC, Mouser Part 502-6282-7SG-3DC.
Old 06-12-2014, 17:04   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

capbuckandpippy,

We had the same problem with out ICOM. When we got the new one, I made a sunbrella cover for the cord. If you do it, you want to make a tube out of the fabric, that accommodates the diameter of the curly part of the wire, then run elastic through it so it gathers, leaving about 6 inches without the elastic at each end of the cable. Then you taper the ends to fit, and seize them down. The "snakeskin" stretches as you pull the mike to your face, and retracts when you're done. And the cable is unlikely to ever shred again.

Ann
Old 10-12-2014, 13:55   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Ann,
Your Sunbrella snakeskin mic cord cover sound cool...but...

But, an FYI...
Most of the premature mic cord deterioration has been due to defective rubber used in the manufacture of the cords (by some OEM, in China I believe), and UV exposure has had little affect on whether the cords last or not....

As an example, I've had both of my M-802 (yes, I have two M-802's) cords crumble apart and neither has seen much UV, and my spare M-602 cord (yes, I have two M-602's as well) just started to crumble away last month and it has NEVER been exposed to UV, nor any chemicals, etc...

Icom has replaced all of these defective cords for free....
I've just sent the mics to one of the regional service centers and gotten back my mic with a new cord on it, in just a few days, all for FREE...

Over the past couple years, I've heard of others having premature cord deterioration on other manufacturers' radios, but it appears only Icom has stepped up and offered to install replacement cords for free, even with radios years past warranty...
(I bought my spare M-602 in June 2004, more than 10 years ago....and my M-802's in 2004 and late 2006...and over the past year or so, Icom has replaced all of their mic cords for free....not great for those who need to figure out how to ship the mic into them, but all-in-all, it's still pretty darn good customer service!!)

Please have a look at these threads for more info / service / shipping / etc...
SSCA Forum • View topic - Icom mic problem

SSCA Forum • View topic - Icom mic problem

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 03:46   #8

Boat: Alan Pape 38 Cutter

Hi Capn Buck and Pippy
SY Matelot

I would be grateful to know what you have discovered re your search for a replacement fist microphone for the Simrad RD68. Part no. FTM5:Sim (Also fits the RT1200 and 1400).

Mine has now almost completely disintegrated - awful quality, but Simrad will not replace, unlike Anne;s ICOM experience.

Pete
Silbversail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 04:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pete.

Old 29-05-2015, 11:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silbversail View Post
I would be grateful to know what you have discovered re your search for a replacement fist microphone for the Simrad RD68. Part no. FTM5:Sim (Also fits the RT1200 and 1400).
I bought a pigtail microphone cable on ebay and a new connector from Mouser (see post #5). I removed the old cable from the microphone, installed the new cable and the new connector, and was good to go. It was a soldering job. If you need a copy of the service manual for the instructions and wiring diagram, send me a PM, and I'll send you the pdf.

My mama said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say it.", so I won't speak to Simrad's customer service on this issue.
Old 08-09-2016, 14:00   #11

Boat: Aquador HT 26ft

Hello there,

I'm a newbie on this forum but I found a subject I was dealing with. The disintegration of the mike spiral cable of the Simrad rd68. I found a new spiral cable and a new plug but does anybody know which wire color has to be where on the plug? Further I read in the technical manual you only need a red and white and shield to solder at the hand mike. Strange because at my simple hand mike al wires where soldered.

Peter
The Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 20:36   #12

Drawing E03557 in the Service Manual shows the fist microphone assembly. You can read the writing on the circuit board and the wire colors.

Drawing E03283 in the Service Manual shows the microphone schematic. The wire colors and uses are shown there as well.

Drawing E03656 in the Service Manual is on two pages. SKT1 is on the first page. The fist mic does not use all the contacts. Some are used by the optional handset. Notice the order in which the contacts are listed.
1. DCS
2. MIC+V
3. 12VOUT
4. H/SET
5. CRADLE
6. PTT
7. A0V

There is not a pin out for the socket 1 or for the microphone plug in the Service Manual that I could find.

I have a sketch that I made in a notebook while I was doing the work. I measured the resistance between the black (shield 0V), yellow (white PTT), and red (red mic) wires of the microphone and the contacts in the plug. To me looking at my old notes and numbering the contacts 1 through 7 clockwise from the slot in the plug, black (shield 0V) is 7, yellow (white PPT) is 6, and red (red mic) is 2. Note that it matches the order in the socket schematic; mic is the second item, PTT is the sixth, and 0V is the seventh. It all matches up. I think that is what I did.

Check all this yourself. I am no expert. I am a retired chemical engineer. While I am an amateur radio operator, it is not my field. I did this in January of 2014 which is a long time ago, and my notes are not complete. Beware.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:36   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Peter.

Old 06-09-2019, 21:37   #14

Hi. This is capbuckandpippy again with the sequel of the story. I found a website in the UK who was selling replacement fist mics for our radio. Cost me around $75 I think from memory. Had it sent to NZ for the new owner as we sold the boat. I heard later that it did not work - waste of space. They bought a new radio. The only way to go is if you are clever enough rewire the fist mic yourself according to the instructions above, with some new spring cable. Good luck with that.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:01   #15

My repaired Simrad RD68 microphone, cable, and plug still survives.

Tags
simrad, vhf