Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 22:26   #1

Simrad Tiller Pilot issues

Tiller pilot owners! TP22 and 32.

Iíve just got a TP22 and Iím having a nightmare getting it to work.

First a few questions. Does the rudder zero position reset every time you plug it in?

Once you have done all the compass circles and got the little beep does it need to ever be redone? Does it keep this calibration when the power is disconnected?

When sailing on a stable heading requiring very little rudder input. Like after 20min without and rudder adjustment just on standby. Then I press the auto button and she immediately goes hard over, once gybing the boat! Any idea what would cause this?

any help her would be greatly apreciated

Old 01-05-2019, 23:02   #2

Re: Simrad Tiller Pilot issues

For a bit more fuel to the fire i can get no help from simrad. no reply from the techinical department after 3 emails, no reply from the simradowners group on facebook... i dont know what to do

Old 14-05-2019, 20:26   #3

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22

Hi:

You do need to have the rudder centered for first entry into auto mode after power up. The circle calibration is done once.

Any chance you need to set the port/starboard parameter to match the mechanical installation? Might explain the instant gybe issue.

I find these units don't work well and are very unreliable. My rule of thumb is if there is enough sail up to get to over 3/4 hull speed, it won't steer because it cannot cope with the gusts.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 05:51   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

As Boulter suggested, do you have the unit configured for a port side installation when the actual installation is starboard (or the reverse)?

Do you have the response set to too high a value?

Do you have something ferrous in your pocket when you lean over the unit to push the Stby/Auto button?

Are you using an external compass rather than the compass in the TP22 itself?

I can reset my units to their original factory state by (1) unplugging to power off, (2) pressing and holding PORT, TACK, STARBOARD, and NAV, then (3) plugging back in to power on. A few flashes and beeps follow that I can't remember right now, and all is well.

We have found the Simrad Tillerpilots to be good gear. We own a TP30 that we no longer use and a pair of TP32s that we have been using since the NMEA2000 models came out. We are quite happy with them after changing the original "professional" installation to match Simrad's recommendations. We have been living on our boat for 5 or 6 months every year for the last 12 years traveling to and from the Bahamas each year. We seldom steer by hand when traveling any distance at all.

Our only chronic problem is that they overheat in the tropical sun then suffer from heat stroke. Once cool they are OK again. Only someone from Denmark would think black is a good idea. We throw a wet cloth over them when they are in the sun and have little white jackets tailored to fit them.

In my experience Simrad's tech service has been quite helpful replacing a "bad out of the box" tillerpilot under warranty and replacing an out of warranty one I fell across and destroyed for a very reasonable price. The Simrad dealer in Oriental, NC went out of his way to discover a workable method of interfacing the TP32s with my previous Simrad CP32 MkII chartplotter.

My TP32s interface with my other Simrad instruments. They operate in NAV mode with my current NSS7 chartplotter and produce all three autopilot control screens on the IS40 display heads. They steer to wind when sailing upwind.

Keep at it. You'll figure it out.

Bill
wsmurdoch is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad