Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 03:46   #1

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Simrad RC42 Rate Compass - No PGN Output ?

Greetings Folks,

I have an N2K network on the boat for all my instruments and as part of an autopilot install, I've just installed a Simrad RC42 Rate Compass. I don't have the mast in at the moment, so don't have my PB200 wind instrument in the network, but have 2 x IS20 graphic displays, IS20 wind display, AP head (AC42 computer removed temporarily), and a depth transducer. (GPS also removed temporarily).

After installing the RC42, I was expecting compass/heading information on the displays, but have nothing. I looked at the "system data" menu on the IS20 which shows the various data available on the N2K network, and sure enough, I have a bunch of stuff - but no heading.

Thinking that perhaps it wouldn't output any PGNs prior to calibration, I tried the "calibrate" menu for "compass" and received the message "you must setup your data source first" or somesuch.

It looks like the RC42 isn't sending data or isn't on the network.

Any thoughts? Do I need the GPS on the network first for the RC42 to work? Rc42 should be independent right?

Thank you in advance!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Simrad RC42 Rate Compass no PGN output?

Try contacting Simrad Yachting (division of Navico)
Simrad Yachting ➥ Support

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 14:26   #3

Re: Simrad RC42 Rate Compass no PGN output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Try contacting Simrad Yachting (division of Navico)
Simrad Yachting ➥ Support
I thought I would try CF first, as the customer support here is better for most products!

Anyway, the form on that page doesn't appear to work either, but I've found their email address, so let's see how that goes. I'll post back with a reply when I find a solution.
Old 24-07-2011, 14:56   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Simrad RC42 Rate Compass - No PGN Output ?

I have the older version where the links between AP, AC and Compass are all RobNet but the AP also has the two SimNet connectors. So it's logical that I need to power on the AP before I see the heading data (or rudder position).

It sounds like you really need a N2K analyzer. I have a Maretron USB-100 and it comes with free analyzer software. It allows me so get a list of devices on the network (regardless of brand) and see what PGN's they are transmitting incl. data contents (also regardless of brand).

There's a chance you need to do a one-time initialize of the RC-42 which gets done by the AP or something...

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 16:48   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You need to start the setup procedure from a Class 1 product. Instruments are Class 2. AP is Class 1 as are Chart Plotters and some Echo Sounders. See the Simnet manual. See section 3.5 and Appendix 1.

SimNet (Simrad Intelligent Marine Network)
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 16:56   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 35

Believe you need the AC42 computer in circuit to get info to the control head from the rate compass... but I would chk with Simrad.
sailin459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 03:48   #7

Howdy,

Thank you for the replies!

OK, in the meantime, Simrad/Navico replied as well - actually I wasn't there to check my email when it came, but it came approximately an hour after I sent the query (!) - phenomenal! Almost as fast as CF!

.. anyway, it appears that the RC42 behaves differently to the Maretron gear on my network - when you plug in the Maretron stuff, "it just appears".. which is what I was expecting as well, however there is a "data sources" menu on the is20 graphic that needs to be selected to auto-discover new devices on the network.. no biggie, just unexpected.

Meanwhile however it appears that my local magnetic field strength appears to be 26% of the world's.. and the manual suggests moving it if over 30%... so it's too close for me... gotta move it!

Btw Nick, I "borrowed" some of your setup from where you posted on another thread on "Your Ultimate Integrated Setup" - nice choice of gear. So I do have a USB100 as well, but I just wasn't seeing the RC42..

Thanks again all!
Old 25-07-2011, 20:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akio.kanemoto View Post
Btw Nick, I "borrowed" some of your setup from where you posted on another thread on "Your Ultimate Integrated Setup" - nice choice of gear. So I do have a USB100 as well, but I just wasn't seeing the RC42..
Ah yes, I must find that thread so I can update it... got some new gadgets in the network

So... you have the new Simrad pilot... do you have a rudder angle sensor with SimNet/N2K port? Does that also need the AC to start working?

ciao!
Nick.
Old 26-07-2011, 02:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Ah yes, I must find that thread so I can update it... got some new gadgets in the network

So... you have the new Simrad pilot... do you have a rudder angle sensor with SimNet/N2K port? Does that also need the AC to start working?

ciao!
Nick.
New toys are always a good thing, I wish the basics of my fitout would end so I can add more toys!

Yes, I have the new AP and it comes with a rudder feedback unit, it's sitting in a bag waiting to get installed - but yes, it definitely needs the AC, since it actually is wired directly to it.. I am curious to see actually whether the AC will dump the rudder angle onto N2K or just keep it to itself.

For the drive unit, I went for the DD15 - it's the only thing I could fit into such a tiny space.. so I'm really hoping that it works out OK!
Old 26-07-2011, 06:10   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I have the new AP and it comes with a rudder feedback unit, it's sitting in a bag waiting to get installed - but yes, it definitely needs the AC, since it actually is wired directly to it.. I am curious to see actually whether the AC will dump the rudder angle onto N2K or just keep it to itself.

For the drive unit, I went for the DD15 - it's the only thing I could fit into such a tiny space.. so I'm really hoping that it works out OK!
Ah, I was under the impression that the new rudder sensor was a SimNet (so N2K) device. Keep an eye on it because direct wiring doesn't mean it isn't N2K... The sensor I have outputs a frequency which changes with rudder angle... very reliable, but needs the AC to start sensing the N2K PGN's.

So yes, you will get rudder position on the N2K network at high frequency (5 Hz IIRC), plus heading at 10Hz.

I am just now removing the NMEA-0183 cabling from my AC40.. it's half the wiring that goes out

One of the new things I have is two Furuno RD-33 displays. They are really cool. The heading/compass view is the best looking compass I've ever seen and it also supports stuff like laylines. These two displays will replace my cockpit instruments and my two old-tech compasses. I will just have hand compass as backup from now on, saving lotsa money on new membranes for the old compasses. The displays also replace 3x B&G displays.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 26-07-2011, 06:20   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Nick, I think there is a choice of rudder angle sensors, one is N2K and the other is not.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 09:32   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Nick, I think there is a choice of rudder angle sensors, one is N2K and the other is not.
aha! . For a sailboat it doesn't matter that much I think. The only time I look at rudder angle is when I'm using the AP so it's just fine that it must be powered on before I get rudder angle on the N2K network.

Compass is different, I always want heading available. My Simrad compass is still RobNet so needs the AC to be switched on before it comes on the N2K network. I have added a Maretron compass to avoid the need for that, plus it's a backup like I also have 2x GPS on N2K (Maretron and Furuno GP-33)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 09-08-2011, 15:27   #13

Quote:

ciao!
Nick.
Howdy,

Just an update - I got the AP installed now and yes the rudder sensor needs the AC, but the AC42 also puts the rudder angle on the network, so as long as the AC is powered on, you get the rudder angle.

Btw - I haven't fiddled with it yet, but my original plan was to use MaxSea TimeZero on a laptop through a USB100 to plan routes and send to AP etc - the USB100 will handle this right?
Old 09-08-2011, 20:11   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Btw - I haven't fiddled with it yet, but my original plan was to use MaxSea TimeZero on a laptop through a USB100 to plan routes and send to AP etc - the USB100 will handle this right?
Yes it will. If you have a Furuno Navnet 3D you can also have that convert the N2K data to Ethernet/NavNet and MaxSea TimeZero (Explorer only?) supports that.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27   #15

Quote:
Yes it will. If you have a Furuno Navnet 3D you can also have that convert the N2K data to Ethernet/NavNet and MaxSea TimeZero (Explorer only?) supports that.

ciao!
Nick.
Thanks for that!

(I don't have the navnet 3d stuff btw.. no more space left!)

Tags
compass, simrad