Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Length of post/content
Too long 0 0%
Right length 0 0%
Questions reflect lack of research 0 0%
Right length and content 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 08:55   #1

Boat: Beneteau 34
Simrad NSS Evo vs BadnG Zeus

Hi,
I have a 2000 38 fooot sailing catamaran in Mexico with the original electronics:
Raytheon Pathfinder RL70 (two displays)
Autohelm ST 5000 tridata, plus autopilot

I fish off it as much as I sail. I work the shorelines a lot (believe it or not) fishing the boat in 15 to 300 feet of water. Most commonly I am trolling at seven knots in 50 to 100 feet of water. I fish for a lot of wahoo, cabrilla, yellowtail, tuna, sierra etc. I currently have no fish finder on the boat and no way to permanently transom mount a transducer (thin sugar scoops and swim ladders etc). Chirp ultimately is a must as is forward scan. I would like to run/fish the unit for a year until I haul the boat again and install the proper through hull transducers. It is a cored fiberglass hull. It has two existing thoughulls for electronics; one airmar speed/temp and one depth. I would like to avoid punching more holes in the boat.
I am hoping for a unit that will have as many of the current features for fishing AND sailing, but fishing is the priority.
My current thought is the NSS9 Evo3 with 4G radar and just run the skimmer transducer temporarily until I haul the boat.
Or maybe a DST 800 triducer in the existing airmar hole where I am pulling the depth and speed.
Ultimately I would like to have forward scan.
The inside display unit need not be fully operational, in fact I am thinking I will just put a 16 inch or so monitor there. (HDMI)
Does anyone have any other ideas on the ideal unit? If I could get by the GO9 I would.
Do the sailing units and the fishing units by simrad (BandG) all have the same functions buried in them anyways?
The depth transducer and speed/tempsensor are on essentially flat surfaces in front of the starboard keel.
What are the best transducers for this new unit/application?
Thanks!
playasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 08:24   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Simrad NSS Evo vs BadnG Zeus

The NSS series is essentially the same software/hardware as the Zeus, except that Zeus has some additional sailing features. At least that is my understanding. I would, therefore, assume that the fishing function of the NSS is the same as the equivalent Zeus.

As for your transducer (sort of) question, I have no idea. It does sound like you have a plan, so maybe you're not asking a question.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad