Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 12:54   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Simrad mfd to raymarine autopilot

Maybe I should read the directions? Will head over to the boat and try. Thanks!!
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
I had an extra ray marine cable that fit the bus. I spliced the wires to the nmea 2000 cable and plugged it in. Nothing. Should I be plugging into the blue plug?
no it won't fit in the blue plug, its a different end. that is for the backbone cables, they contine on to more busses or tee's. if its existing I assume all work.

if the auto source selection doesn't find anything, and nothing in your "device list". then we'll have to dig deeper into the seatalk ng bus wiring.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 13:58   #18

The simrad found the devises, but could not control the auto and no wind or depth. There are cables coming out of both blue plugs. I guess one of the plugs is feeding the nav station? In that case I guess I can pull the feed and splice to the simrad?
What I don't understand, is that the old Raymarine MFD was cable was plugged into the white plug on the bus.
Old 11-01-2015, 14:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
the yellow plug is simrad network. (simrad radar, sounder etc) you don't need.

the nmea 2000 you need all 5... you buy a nmea 2000 to seatalk ng adapter cable. plug into both ends. how did you plug the nmea 2000 into the white plug?...
Ok. Just got this.
To recap, all I need is the blue cable, splice it to the NMEA 2000 and plug into the blue plug? There is no yellow on the NMEA 2000.
Old 11-01-2015, 15:03   #20

you can't control the pilot from the screen. but if you go to a way point on the screen. you can activate the pilot from the pilot screen to follow nav.

you'd need a new simrad pilot to control it from the screen itself.

but you should have depth, wind, heading on the plotter. asuuming the old one had it with that white plug.

did the old plotter also have a seatalk cable? maybe the ng network is only for the pilot. and the st60 gauges were seatalk (3 prong cable) to the raymarine plottter.

you may or may not already have a seatalk to seatalk ng converter else where in the boat. you should track down the whole seatalk and seatalk ng network and see what's pluged into what. your st60 gauges are probably seatalk.

don't change anything yet. just figure out what is what.
Old 11-01-2015, 15:32   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

What model RM AP computer do you have? If it's the X series (10, 20, 30), it can take 'track' information from the STng (N2k) network. If it's the older series (e.g. 300), you'll need to connect to it via NMEA 0183.

Raymarine STng network cabling/port colors - blue = network/backbone; white = spur/instrument; yellow = ST to STng conversion port.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 16:00   #22

This is the set up before the simrad. Not sure what series computer that is. The autopilot controller is the St 6002 on the bottom. I had hoped to control the autopilot with the simrad, but no big deal. The ray marine control works ok, just not many adjustments for for rudder response. In heavy seas, it goes crazy.

Old 11-01-2015, 16:06   #23

"did the old plotter also have a seatalk cable? maybe the ng network is only for the pilot. and the st60 gauges were seatalk (3 prong cable) to the raymarine plottter.

you may or may not already have a seatalk to seatalk ng converter else where in the boat. you should track down the whole seatalk and seatalk ng network and see what's pluged into what. your st60 gauges are probably sea talk."

I'm real new at this. What does the sea talk cable look like and what do you call the cables I have shown you? The old mfd was set up only as a plotter. The wind, depth etc. are on the other gauges, that you can see at the helm.
Old 11-01-2015, 16:19   #24

Without identifying the model, it's a guess, but the computer looks pre X series. If this is the case, your only option is to connect NMEA 0183 from the NSS12 to the AP computer.

Raymarine proprietary connections are ST1, ST2, HS, and STng. None of which are NMEA0183. STng is compatible with NMEA2000, but has some caveats. But the AP computer most likely has a NMEA0183 port on it as does your NSS12. That's your cheapest way, otherwise you need to invest in NMEA0183 to NMEA2000 gateway.
Old 11-01-2015, 16:35   #25

his nmea 183 port is already being used by the AIS.

he has ended up with a bit of a cluster *..

whoever chose those first products already started it. he has a seatalk / nmea183 pilot. but had a plotter with seatalk NG and nmea 183. I can't believe ray made an old plotter without seatalk. never seen this one. I also don't know what those instruments are. they are not the common st60. never seen those either. I don't know if they are seatalk or seatalk ng. they are probably seatalk. but then I don't now why the boat would have a seatalk ng network already.

basicly you had a mix of semi incapable stuff before, probably with converters hidden somewhere. and know you have a slightly worse mix of crap. and without nowing every wire and every converter curetnly in place. we can't really help over the internet. including any that were going to the old plotter already removed. you said if had the seatalkng cable. did it have nmea 183 connections on it?

you should be able to run the pilot with a seatalkng to seatalk converter. and there may or may not already be one in the boat.

take a pic of the pilot brain with the cover off. so we can see how many sea talk cables and any nmea 183 cables. from there you are going to have to follow all the wires and make a diagram.

do you have a dsc vhf radio? if so you probably no longer have a connetion to it.

do you have more raymarine equipment inside?

interconnection of seatalk, seatalk ng, nmea 183, and nmea2000 all together is not that easy.
Old 11-01-2015, 16:48   #26

ok so those are st70 gauges. whith are probably stng. which explains the backbone. but doesn't explain two seatalk cables on the pilot display. so you should get wind and depth on the screen. go to the nmea 2000 "device list" in the menu. and see what shows up. you should see the st70 stuff there.

I'm guessing the st70 and plotter were seatalk ng. and the pilot and pilot display were seatalk. and the pilot and plotter were nmea183. (which you no longer have an open port) but that is a guess until you follow and trace stuff.

when they kited the boat with ray stuff they shouldn't have picked stuff that required to use 3 different languages. bad planning.
Old 11-01-2015, 18:08   #27

French charter company. Need I say more?
The AP is the only instrument with that kind of connection. Thanks again for helping me trouble shoot this. Will get more pics tomorrow after work.
Old 11-01-2015, 18:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
his nmea 183 port is already being used by the AIS.
AIS is connected to the inbound 0183 port to the NSS, connect the 0183 outbound from the NSS to the AP computer. If the outbound 0183 speed cannot be set differently than the inbound speed and the AP computer cannot handle 38.4 0183, this may not work. But it's only 2 wires to test it.
Old 13-01-2015, 14:23   #29

At this juncture, I think I will throw in the towel. My original hope was to control the ap with the Simrad. Since that is not possible without a another separate controller, I will let that go. The other Raymarine gauges show wind and all the other info, so it's not critical that I see it on the plotter.
My original intent was to have everything on the new BRIGHT screen, with better control of the ap in heavy seas.
Thanks again for all the help!
Old 13-01-2015, 22:31   #30

like I said. not an easy task. I have 10 years exp on nav gear and the company I work for charges $100+ an hour and this one would cause me to probably swear a bit. it it would work eventually once it was all figured out.

if done right, you will get wind and depth on the plotter. and the pilot will steer to way points made on the plotter. the plotter will never control it pilot. you still need to use the pilot screen to engage it.

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine, simrad