Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 23:06   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Simrad / B&G radar guard zone alerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
My Furuno Navnet3D works as I described it above. When a target enters the Guard Zone it is automatically tracked by ARPA. If it is missed on multiple sweeps the ARPA does not loose the target, so you do not get a new Alarm when it shows back up on a sweep. The ARPA tracking is set so only a target that shows up inside the Guard Zone(s) gets automatically tracked. Works very well.

If you have system that excessive alarms, then ultimately the alarms will end up disabled or ignored.
You are describing ARPA alarms. The OP was talking about guard zone alarms. These are different things.

Old 27-09-2017, 00:25   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I thought only the professional and certified systems have ARPA.

Anyway, yes I'm talking about guard zones. Probably I need to decrease the size and range of mine then.

What are you guys using?

mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 00:31   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You are describing ARPA alarms. The OP was talking about guard zone alarms. These are different things.
No, I'm describing how you use a guard zone on my Furuno radar. You set a pair of concentric circles on the display by selecting the Guard Zone option. That's it. The rest is the way the unit works, as I described.
Old 27-09-2017, 01:19   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, I'm describing how you use a guard zone on my Furuno radar. You set a pair of concentric circles on the display by selecting the Guard Zone option. That's it. The rest is the way the unit works, as I described.
I just read the manual -- you are right. On the new Furuno radars (newer than the one I used), the guard zones are ARPA functions. This is very cool.

Old 27-09-2017, 01:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I just read the manual -- you are right. On the new Furuno radars (newer than the one I used), the guard zones are ARPA functions. This is very cool.

DH
I don't understand why other vendors do not have better ARPA implementations. The Furuno Navnet3D that I have was designed 10 years ago. It's not like it is bleeding edge stuff.
Old 27-09-2017, 01:54   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
DH
I don't understand why other vendors do not have better ARPA implementations. The Furuno Navnet3D that I have was designed 10 years ago. It's not like it is bleeding edge stuff.
I guess the technology is not so simple.

MARPA is utterly useless on my Simrad/B&G 4G radar, as it was on my previous Raymarine Pathfinder radar.

If I don't sell this boat in the next couple of years, I will upgrade the radar. A Furuno doppler open array radar would really be the bomb.
Old 27-09-2017, 02:36   #22

Boat: Oyster 66

The OCPN team now offer ARPA With the B&G equipment. Check it out.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 03:08   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
The OCPN team now offer ARPA With the B&G equipment. Check it out.
Really!

I actually have a Simrad Ethernet to RJ45 adapter on order, specifically to try out the OpenCPN radar plug in.

If they have done a good ARPA implementation, that will be cool!

But it seems to me that the problem with MARPA on my radar is that the bearing discrimination is fundamentally inadequate, to do proper plots of moving targets. If that is indeed the limiting factor, then the software will not make any difference.

That is why I lust after a proper open array. I've used big commercial open arrays on friends' boats, and it is simply an entirely different exercise, than using our toy radars.

The best "toy radar" I ever used was a Furuno, but it was still nothing like the commercial ones.

The really big advantage of the 4G radar is extremely good signal processing, which gives you superb TARGET discrimination, far better than the Furuno or any other toy radar I've used. So the radar image is superbly good, and the guard zones work extremely well. That much I am pleased with.

But decent radar plotting, whether manual or automatic? Fuggedaboutit. I suspect it is simply a question of geometry -- size of the antenna. My ancient steam-powered 24" Pathfinder radar had better bearing discrimination, than the little 4G.

Where I sail, radar is REALLY important to me, so this is kind of a hot button issue for me. I am seriously thinking about putting on a radar pole, not waiting for the next boat.
Old 27-09-2017, 04:05   #24

I haven't used the OpenCPN software for ARPA. I think it is in one of their beta versions. The screen shots and write up look perfect.

The interesting thing about doing the implementation on a PC is that you have the capability to actually improve the processing of what the main box can do and to offer the user control of a greater number of variables to make the control of the image as sophisticated or as simple as you wish. Also you can use the power of the PC to run some very complicated and slow algorithms, which can't be done on what I presume is the less flexible radar hardware, so potentially could work very well.
Old 27-09-2017, 04:37   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I haven't used the OpenCPN software for ARPA. I think it is in one of their beta versions. The screen shots and write up look perfect.

The interesting thing about doing the implementation on a PC is that you have the capability to actually improve the processing of what the main box can do and to offer the user control of a greater number of variables to make the control of the image as sophisticated or as simple as you wish. Also you can use the power of the PC to run some very complicated and slow algorithms, which can't be done on what I presume is the less flexible radar hardware, so potentially could work very well.
I guess the programming might be very complex. We'll see -- I'm looking forward to trying it.

The AIS implementation in O is the best I've ever seen (do you use it?), but I think the task is orders of magnitude less complex.
Old 27-09-2017, 05:21   #26

Quote:

The AIS implementation in O is the best I've ever seen (do you use it?), but I think the task is orders of magnitude less complex.
Yes, it is really good. I mainly use Furuno/Maxsea Timezero which works just the same way. The O ARPA is similar too.

Tags
radar, simrad