Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-07-2012, 03:39   #1

Simrad 3G radar compatible wilth Lowrance HDS?

Can I connect a Simrad 3G radar to the Lowrance HDS plotter?
They look the same in shape but have not seen cable interface etc.

Andreas

Old 23-07-2012, 09:40   #2

Boat: Custom Gary Mull, 47ft performance cruiser
Re: Simrad 3G radar compatible wilth Lowrance HDS?

I have a 3g from lowrance and a hds5m gen2. I have had a hds5x gen 1 and a hds lake view gen1 connected to it. From all I have read and seen they all can be hooked up to a navico ri 10 or 11 and then to a expansion port or the hds. The ri 10 or 11 have the navico simrad lowrance ethernet connector. You can also get or make rj 45 connectors and use ehternet patch cords to get your length right.

Old 23-07-2012, 09:53   #3

Thanks!
That is the setup I'm looking to buy (Simrad 3G+HDS-5).
Are you happy with it?

Andreas
Old 23-07-2012, 10:39   #4

I wanted the low power draw, low output to mount it behind my head, ais overlay and MARPA. Getting the MARPA has been a chore. But other than that I like what I have set up now, but Navico phone support mixed with trying to sort out what I read has been difficult. Are you going to use MARPA? Where are you going to get your heading data and how are you going to interface that? Where are you located? If you don't already have the Simrad 3g why not buy the Lowrance, in the US I bought the lowrance because it was cheaper, it came without the ri10 which is not a eu option. Turns out I now have a ri10 and a 2k nmea network so the boat has 0183, 2k via simnet, Ethernet, Robnet, and wifi. I like having a small display in the cockpit that's why I went with Lowrance, if I want something bigger I'll use an Ipad via wifi.
Old 23-07-2012, 10:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitts View Post
I wanted the low power draw, low output to mount it behind my head, ais overlay and MARPA. Getting the MARPA has been a chore. But other than that I like what I have set up now, but Navico phone support mixed with trying to sort out what I read has been difficult. Are you going to use MARPA? Where are you going to get your heading data and how are you going to interface that? Where are you located? If you don't already have the Simrad 3g why not buy the Lowrance, in the US I bought the lowrance because it was cheaper, it came without the ri10 which is not a eu option. Turns out I now have a ri10 and a 2k nmea network so the boat has 0183, 2k via simnet, Ethernet, Robnet, and wifi. I like having a small display in the cockpit that's why I went with Lowrance, if I want something bigger I'll use an Ipad via wifi.

About the Simrad. I can buy a used one with the RI10 and new cables for a good price.

MARPA and radar overlay would have been nice. Is it only possible to use a Navico heading sensor or is it possible to take any Fluxgate / rate gyro?
What have you been using and what is making trouble?

You say you are using Ipad with wifi. Have you that connected to the Lowrance system? If so....how?
Old 23-07-2012, 11:10   #6

I have an older simrad auto pilot with a fast compass, but I had to update the software to get the nmea output speed I needed. It wants 10hz compass data. When I had the gen1 hooked up and input the compass data at 38400 it seemed to think that was ok and gave me MARPA but I am not sure it would hold if the target moves to much, hense the data speed. The Gen2 device seems to only support nmea 2k compass in. You can do that with simnet parts from 0183nmea but if your compass isn't fast enough it might not work. Isn't to hard to use EBL to evaluate targets. Your going to spend a few hundred on those parts. I am getting the lowrance gps data to my wifi multiplexer but I also have the radar displayed on my computer, see forum comments on this, and will wifi to it if I want to see my nav computer and radar on deck on the ipad.
Old 28-05-2014, 10:54   #7

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

I know this is an old thread, but just for anyone bumping into this, I can confirm that the BR24/3G/4G radars branded Simrad, Lowrance, B&G are exactly the same. I know as I recently received a replacement that said "Unbranded" on the box but it had Lowrance stickers applied (as they know I've got a Lowrance).

The only difference is whether you have:
  1. No interface box
  2. A RI-10 interface box
  3. A RI-11 interface box

No interface box is apparently against EU rules for radio interference, but as a private person do you really care?

The _real_ function that the interface box has is that it injects heading data into the radome, so that the radome can tell the chart plotter on which heading a particular scan line should be showed. This is nifty, as it removes any timing issues between when the scan line was "taken" and when it is received by the chart plotter. This heading input is needed for the chart plotter to perform MARPA. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that nowadays even all Lowrance 3G/4G boxes include the RI-10 or RI-11.

An RI-11 uses a high speed NMEA-0183 input (any brand, as long as it has 10 Hz update) and an RI-10 uses Simnet/NMEA-2000 heading input (any brand, all brands supply high-speed updates on NMEA-2000).

Tags
radar, simrad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: