Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Si-Tex SSB reciever?

So up until now I have been heading down the path of using my Kaito reciever and JVComm software to get weather maps offshore but now I am seeing this unit in a marinized setup that seems to do the trick for a decent price and a bit simpler. Anyone have any experience with this unit or care to comment on a comparison of using the Kaito/JVcomm method?

Sitex link here:

Si-Tex Marine Electronics Nav-Fax 200

Pricing info here:

Sitex Nav-Fax 200 Shortwave/SSB/Weather Fax Receiver*-*Sitex* NAVFAX200 - Navtex / Weather Fax Receivers - VHF/SSB Radios - Boatersland Marine
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Si-Tex SSB reciever?

Big waste of money.

For the same amount, or close thereabouts, you can get a good used marine or ham SSB transceiver, not just a receiver. All of these have excellent general coverage receivers built-in.

Send me a PM if you wanna talk about this; maybe I can help you. I'm local to you.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47   #3

So Bill are you telling me that for about $400 I can put an SSB transiever (used) on my boat? Last I looked by the time I bought all the other stuff (tuner, insulated stay, antenna, ground plane etc) it was waaay more than that.

I dont really care to hear all the chatter on the so called cruisers nets and am really just interested in getting weather maps offshore cheaply and reliably.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50   #4
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
So Bill are you telling me that for about $400 I can put an SSB transiever (used) on my boat? Last I looked by the time I bought all the other stuff (tuner, insulated stay, antenna, ground plane etc) it was waaay more than that.

I dont really care to hear all the chatter on the so called cruisers nets and am really just interested in getting weather maps offshore cheaply and reliably.
Yes, you can. For receive only, you don't need much of an antenna. You can use a spare length of wire, clip onto a shroud or backstay, etc. You also don't need a tuner, robust power to the radio, etc., etc.

However, the marine and ham radios have much more flexibility, typically better receivers and, if/when you ever change your mind....as you well might once you realize the value of having SSB aboard....you already have the radio and just need to add a few components to be able to transmit.

Also, if you later on add a modem, you can request and receive GRIB files on demand for anywhere in the world.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16   #5

Interesting Bill. I'll pm you. I have been playing with the Kaito and JVcomm but havent had a chance to try it out on the boat and have not been able to get good enough reception at my house with the kaito to be able to actually download any maps. I have added an antenna clamped to the insulated triatic stay on my ketch but need to solder the 1/8" mono plug to the wire and probably leave Chesapeake Harbor Marina to get any reception.

I like the idea of a more rugged recciever than the Kaito but did not want to go all the way down the SSB transiever route.
Old 07-05-2012, 16:53   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

This is basically same with the NASA unit. Try to shop for a s/h one.

We have the NASA here and it does the radiofax well. Beware some makes have no audio out (only the speaker) - it is better to get the audio-out version for radiofax.

BTW If I were to shop again I would not pay 400 for any. With some time and googling one can pick up a SSB receiver for 100 or less.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb