Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 05:29   #46

Boat: Jeanneau Voyage 37 ft
Re: Shroud as SSB Antenna?

@ Dockhead:

I am a Ham hence I don't use the marine SSB frequencies.

Look at this for main marine SSB frequencies more specifically the Marine distress/DSC and the ship-to-ship frequencies.

The distance you want to cover (and type of journey you are undertaking) and the propagation will determine the frequencies you want to use.
Ask around on this forum; people will be able to indicate which ones to use and also the marine SSB nets (like 12.359).

Frequencies around 12 (marine SSB) -14 (HAM) Mhz are very good all-round long distance frequencies (thousands of miles) (good atmospheric propagation conditions most of the day)

For me HAM 20m band (14 Mhz) and 17m (18 Mhz) are the best long distance (DX) frequencies on board. HAM 15m (21 Mhz) and 10m (28.5 Mhz) really depending on atmospheric propagation. My wire antenna system is 9.2m total length and this ensures good long distance use until 15 m HAM band due to the radiation properties and angle (linked to maximum antenna length).

If you want to use mainly frequencies below 10 Mhz a longer backstay/wire length 40-45 ft will favour this (better efficiency and radiation patterns); if mainly above 10 Mhz till 25 Mhz I would suggest something around 30 ft.
The longer antenna (40-45 ft) will still work on higher frequencies and be tuneable off course (if one stays away from 1/2 wave multiples) but hte radiation pattern becomes less optimal for long distance communication...but this is not saying "impossible" for long range DX.
THe shorter antenna will become increasingly in-efficient into the 4 and 2 Mhz frequencies.

Jan
ON3ZTT
Goudurix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 05:30   #47

Oops I forgot the link:

YachtCom - Marine SSB radio | MF frequencies | HF frequencies | SSB Channels | Coastguards frequencies

Jan
Old 30-10-2012, 05:38   #48

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
People install a GAM and/or a KISS because they are easy, they work 'good enough'. Not because they work 'the best'. Thats fine. If you have the money but not the time each of those is a solution.

If you have the time and inclination, and maybe not the money, you can easily equal or improve on each of these.

I dont think Jan is talking against an insulated backstay antenna BTW.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 09:22   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
jan -- i have heard this many times before -- so please let me ask one question - given your description why is almost everyone put in a backstay antenna with either the gam electroics antenna or insulators??
Are you so correct and everyone else so wrong are what? sorry to be so bold but i guess most cruisers out here are wrong and you are right?????
Jan was suggesting a simpler antenna for MacG's receive only system.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:35   #50

Indeed.
The insulated backstay antenna is the most widely used. I have not advocated against it, not at all.

The GAM is expensive for what it is, and having wire antenna that close to a backstay still seems awkward to me, but I have no experience with it.
For a receiving only system it seems quite expensive.

I stick to my sloping "alternative" backstay antenna. Cheap and very versatile. If I find something better I can build myself, I will try it out. I like experimenting.

Jan

Tags
antenna, shroud, ssb