Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2013, 19:37   #1

Should I get an Autopilot?

I was wondering if an auto pilot is really necessary. I plan to go on a week long trip with some friends who have never sailed before. We plan to be in the Chesapeake bay for the duration. I have a Pearson 31-2, I am thinking it would make everything a whole lot easier. I am leaning towards a wheel pilot that would be compatible with my Ray marine C80 plotter.

Please Let me know your thoughts.
samuelwright14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 19:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Should I get an Autopilot?

You don't plan to leave the Chesapeake? So what is the longest passage you plan? For long hauls an AP is the best thing I put on a boat but for short sales, especially if you have a couple of friends on board to help steer, maybe not so necessary.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 19:41   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Anything which holds course while you're busy with other things is a bonus...
Old 24-11-2013, 20:07   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

No autopilot with a green crew?...Hmmm
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:12   #5

You certainly don't need it. Whether you want one is the real question. Steering isn't THAT horrible a part of sailing.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:21   #6

Boat: Kristen 52

Yes....

Makes sailing as easy as spending other peoples money.
Old 24-11-2013, 20:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You certainly don't need it. Whether you want one is the real question. Steering isn't THAT horrible a part of sailing.
Get one and you will wonder how you managed without one. Probably a big plus for safety as well.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:25   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelwright14 View Post
I was wondering if an auto pilot is really necessary. I plan to go on a week long trip with some friends who have never sailed before. We plan to be in the Chesapeake bay for the duration. I have a Pearson 31-2, I am thinking it would make everything a whole lot easier. I am leaning towards a wheel pilot that would be compatible with my Ray marine C80 plotter.

Please Let me know your thoughts.
If you have to ask the answer is no.

Using an AP can make things easier but they are not fool proof. I often times go sailing and am able to trim the sails to the extent that my boat will hold its course with out the AP in a fair wind. The problem is when you are getting headed and lifted and to some extent running dead down wind.

If you have friends, even inexperienced ones they will be better able to steer than any AP. Once you get a little more experience you will be able to answer your own question with no help.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:29   #9

Boat: Gemini 3200

You don't need an autopilot, but once you have sailed with one you'll never want to sail without one again.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:43   #10

Thanks everyone, I am slightly new to the cruising side of sailing, I have raced my whole life which might be half the issue, I am still learning how to chill out with the "green crew". I was also thinking it might be nice to have one should the conditions turn to hell, I would rather not rely on anyone to helm the boat. I keep running through the scenario of an auto jibe or a bad tack taking someone's head off or tearing my head sail on the spreader. At least an autopilot can keep course
samuelwright14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 21:31   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelwright14 View Post
Thanks everyone, I am slightly new to the cruising side of sailing, I have raced my whole life which might be half the issue, I am still learning how to chill out with the "green crew". I was also thinking it might be nice to have one should the conditions turn to hell, I would rather not rely on anyone to helm the boat. I keep running through the scenario of an auto jibe or a bad tack taking someone's head off or tearing my head sail on the spreader. At least an autopilot can keep course
I think you greatly overestimate an AP's ability to avoid an accidental Gybe. Downwind, the combination of wind shifts and sea state can easily overpower any AP in heavy seas. OTOH --

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

snip

If you have friends, even inexperienced ones they will be better able to steer than any AP. Once you get a little more experience you will be able to answer your own question with no help.
I disagree strongly with tomfl. Perhaps he's never had a good AP that has a gyro built into the course computer.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 21:57   #12

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Let your green crew steer under your supervision. Betcha their enjoyment would be increased by participating rather than being passive.
Old 24-11-2013, 22:21   #13

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Let your green crew steer under your supervision. Betcha their enjoyment would be increased by participating rather than being passive.
Yes, and not only that, while steering they will not get seasick. When ever we have guests that may be prone to seasickness, we have them steer. Have you ever known of a person to get car sick while driving?

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 00:59   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I found the tiller-pilot I added to our Austral the single biggest improvement in our use of the boat. Use of the boat tripled after the purchase.

I used it when solo sailing, it made sail changes a breeze.

I used it when my wife and I were sailing together, as it freed us up to enjoy our lunch properly, together, without the constant "pass-me-the-next-small-sandwich" routine.

I even used it with up to six of us crammed into the tiny cockpit, mainly when it was too calm to be FUN to sail, and holding the tiller would have just been boring.

BUT, I did read a suggestion, and I took it to heart, to not overuse it and loose touch with sailing the boat. So I always rationed it, and I am glad I did.

BUT, I would never sail a boat without one again if I had the choice.

Matt
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 02:54   #15

Boat: Ross 780
Yes, an autopilot plus a remote control makes for less stress when solo sailing or with a green crew onboard, which is virtually like solo sailing anyway :-)

Neil
https://www.madmanmarine.com
Tymadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot