Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2010, 19:25   #1

Location: Rio Grande Valley of Texas, near Brownsville/South Padre Island
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461-rechristened Sweet Pea
Shopping for Nav Equipment

We recently became the proud owners of a 1999 Beneteau Oceanis 461 out of Corpus Christi Texas. With all the new equipment options out there, I have exhausted myself with research and reviews that have all began to sound the same, and now I am looking for real life users who really like their systems. With a 1999 cruiser, you know where we were with electronics in 1999, so it is safe to say that we need an overhaul. Am looking at wireless configuration, but haven't talked to folks who have experience with it. And I really need a new chartplotter, radar, etc. Moderate price range...not the highest, but can afford a few extras. Please help. Need pros and cons...thanks for your help, ideas, opinions, and all.
mtm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 20:09   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Keep it simple.....I would buy one package from one maker.

(Ranting light is lit)....It astounds me as to how many gewgaws and gimcracks people put aboard their vessels......Keeping things simple makes it easier to find out where a problem may lie......as far as wireless systems go I have never worked with that so I have no opinion......
IMHO most people put all this stuff on their boats to impress people......Like the guy who put a two dummy radomes and two dummy tv antennas on his boat

As far as chartplotter screens go....get the biggest one you can...to make it easdier to read......

(ranting light extinguished)
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 22:48   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm124 View Post
We recently became the proud owners of a 1999 Beneteau Oceanis 461 .
Congrats! fantastic boat! Excellent size for cruising

We found waiting 12 months before we did much was good because we then really understood the boat. We didnt really have much choice as the purchase took every last cent we had!

If you can sail for a while as is, then I'd recommend it while you slowly reseach, chat to folks, see new kit at Boats Shows etc

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 23:27   #4

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
I went with a Tacktick wireless system on my monohull for its simplicity, reliability and ease of install. I was disappointed, had numerous problems with the wind repreater on top of the mast, all the units got crazing on the glass (despite being kept covered below when not in use and never cleaned with a solvent). On my catamaran I have decided to go with the Simrad systems, NSE 12, AP28 Autopilot, broadband radar and sounder and AIS transceiver. Their equipment was intuitive to use and looked really well built. I cannot comment on my actual experience with Simrad yet as the boat still has to be launched
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shopping