Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 04:48   #31

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
If your at the point where you have a cabnet full of mini dv's I'd archive them to dvd's in an uncompressed format and use the space for beer
I really have to do this soon...I'm soooo done with tape that I have a hard time bringing myself to touch them again! Right now I'm thinking about shooting to SD card (with my Canons), converting the AVCHD to Neoscene AVI and then doing a basic once thru to weed out the crap. Actually, weeding out the crap can begin in the camera, where each scene can be viewed and deleted before the SD card is even removed for dumping...try that with DV tape! Anyway, after conversion and quick edit, I'll probably burn on bluRay until I'm ready to final edit. All this equipment is WAY down in price now...my whole rig cost less then my first XL1s!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:46   #32

Quote:
I really like the tapless workflow, the new varicams shoot to solid state P2 cards so no need to buy $30k editing decks and log tape. Most prosumer cams now record to an SD or CF memory card. This can be a pro and con for a boat, I do not have long term experience with hard drives in a salt water enviroment, they do and have failed in my dry moisture free land based studio, I always have back ups and my drives in a RAID config. Tape on a boat might be a good thing for archive purposes. SD cards are so cheap now (and small) they are also good to archive footage on. If anyone is archiving footage on hard drives for long term storage on a boat I'd also suggest archiving to a dvd or blu-ray disk in addition to the hard drive.

What about using ingex? Ingex - Tapeless video & audio capture, transcoding and network file serving
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 17:46   #33

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by st599 View Post
What about using ingex?
That link hurt my brain! Not sure how well that will work with a cruising yacht...am I missing something?

BTW, " Kingston Flash Data Retention: Kingston Flash storage devices are rated for up to 10 years under normal use." Thus says Kingston. I really hadn't thought much about using cards as long term storage, but come to think of it, your right! 4 - 8 gig cards are gettin' much cheaper... you could back up to another card too...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 18:05   #34

Quote:
That's for archiving to LTO-3 tape, you know the big reel to reel computer storage tapes that run on a washing machine size recorder. What's confusing about that is they say it's tapeless but it's LTO-3 computer data tape not video tape they are talking about. Yea, I know, it makes me feel like flying and swiming through mud at the same time.

It's very expensive option for hobbiest cruisers with prosumer video cams.

It puts your workflow back to tape and in a very expensive way. It's something for the BBC or CBS, not cruisers.

DVD is probably the most cost effective 'safe' way then blu ray. I'd probably spend the extra money on blu ray because they hold 50 gig, dvd holds 8gig, so 6x more data but at $20 a disk instead of $2.

I think memories are the most important part of cruising and they should be saved in a safe way.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 18:06   #35

Has anyone ever found a dvd or cd in the ocean and cleaned it off to see if it will play?
Old 05-12-2009, 16:42   #36

Quote:
That's for archiving to LTO-3 tape, you know the big reel to reel computer storage tapes that run on a washing machine size recorder. What's confusing about that is they say it's tapeless but it's LTO-3 computer data tape not video tape they are talking about. Yea, I know, it makes me feel like flying and swiming through mud at the same time.

It's very expensive option for hobbiest cruisers with prosumer video cams.

It puts your workflow back to tape and in a very expensive way. It's something for the BBC or CBS, not cruisers.
You don't need to archive to tape. It offers methods to quickly ingest from camera's to a native edit format, with metadata, stored on disc. Archiving is an option.
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 16:57   #37

Quote:
You don't need to archive to tape. It offers methods to quickly ingest from camera's to a native edit format, with metadata, stored on disc. Archiving is an option.
I understand, I think we were disscussing 'safe' ways to archive footage in a salt water enviroment because disk drives fail, it's just a matter of time.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:06   #38

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
So never writing to a DVD yet what ship board system is needed for that...just a laptop and appropriate software?

If so we are uploading from film to editing suite to DVD right?..or are you talking about transferring directly from tape/Camera to DVD...if so how is this done?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 18:12   #39

Any laptop with a dvd burner will work, the editing software you use should output the files (or tape you have digitized to the computer) to a format like avi or mov, then copy them to the dvd or blu ray burner. Don;t burn a dvd movie because that uses compression to make it fit on the dvd or blu ray, output to an uncompressed file like avi or mov, I think the free windows movie maker program will do it for those that don't want to buy expensive video editing software, Mac users have the free iMovie software, that also works. Just set the quality to highest.

It's pretty easy.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:20   #40

If your using a camera that records to SD cards then just copy that raw footage and files over to your dvd burner and make a copy.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:26   #41

So just to bring me up to speed I'm going to get how many min. of uncompressed SD tape transfer in avi mode?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 06-12-2009, 00:04   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
So just to bring me up to speed I'm going to get how many min. of uncompressed SD tape transfer in avi mode?
Since you ask, how many beers am I gonna get?
Old 06-12-2009, 00:06   #43

Buy a poor broke nerd a freakin beer. Damn!
Old 06-12-2009, 00:15   #44

Hey no problem!...I'm drinking Alaskan Amber tonight so I guess you are too!

Old 06-12-2009, 00:18   #45

Costco Bud light for me, no not tonight, had to work. Monday night is my 6 pack night.

Yea, They have some good beer BTW.