Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 13:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Sharing Icom AT-140 With Two Radios

John,

The 756pII is a good radio, probably the best in it's price class both when new and as a used rig. The FT100D is a mobile rig that is very flexible and seems to have a much better noise reduction circuit than the icom 706 (the reason I bought it for my mobile set up years ago). It doesn't compare to the 756 in any category but it's a nice, small rig.

Now the FT600 is a great rig; as I'm sure you know it was built to meet Marine and Land Mobile spec's and also work as a ham radio (features and frequencies determined by a front panel 'key.') The 600 has great transmit audio and is bang on stable (more so than the 756), but doesn't have the filters and pre-amps that make the 756 such a flexible radio.

I have all three abord and would still consider another if I can shoe-horn it in...Next time I'm in the Stuart area you're welcome to come over and give them a spin,

Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:09   #17

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Hello John
Thanks for taking the time to find a cable.
But you are right, the "ask" is out of control and the amount is above my "need"
Thanks again
Pat

patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:23   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

Scott,

Thanks for sharing your setup...quite impressive!

I have been giving my options more thought since my original post. Now thinking about just leaving the M802/AT-140 combo as is and constructing several vertical dipoles for the 706. If the 706 is also going to be a backup radio, then it probably would be better if it could operate independently of the AT-140 and backstay antenna.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I have three (3) HF radios and four (4) antennas. Here is how I handle this:

Three radios (Icom 756pII, Yaesu FT600, Yaesu FT100D) are on a 4x1 Alpha Delta antenna switch; the other position is held by an MFJ 259b Antenna Analyzer that lets me see the antenna/tuner...

The common goes from there to another 4x1 AD switch, this one for the antennas. The positions are: Inverted L (mizzen cap jumped to the triatic) using an SG230, a 20m vertical dipole, a 3 band Hustler (15,20,40) on the rail, and a dummy load.

This means I choose one radio, one antenna, and I'm good to go. Note that only the Inverted L needs an antenna tuner. The dipole is cut to 20m (or 15) and the Hustler stingers are adjusted to resonance. Pick a radio, pick an antenna, transmit.

This is much easier with an SG230 (no control cable needed) than an AT140 Icom.

(I also have an SGC 500 amp and a Palstar antenna that patches in to the above bypassing the SG230 (limited to 200w); that uses a large knife dpdt knife switch and a 5kw 4:1 UnUn... radio is so much fun!)

berferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:56   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by berferd View Post
Scott,

Thanks for sharing your setup...quite impressive!

I have been giving my options more thought since my original post. Now thinking about just leaving the M802/AT-140 combo as is and constructing several vertical dipoles for the 706. If the 706 is also going to be a backup radio, then it probably would be better if it could operate independently of the AT-140 and backstay antenna.

Jeff
Another option for backup is a manual tuner. Actually, we have used a manual by choice for 30 years now, but that's a different story. A decent manual tuner will work with damn near anything conductive... when we were dismasted in our previous boat, a laid a short length of hookup wire across the deck, attached it to my old MFJ tuner, and was able to check into our m/m net and advise them of the situation, and to tell them we did NOT require help. The latter was important...hams just naturally want to be helpful, but we needed to carry on on our own for personal reasons. At any rate, they're a good possibility for emergency backup.

And they are pretty cheap, too! (Like me)

Jim
Old 21-10-2016, 20:27   #20

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

I've used an Icom IC-7000 and an M-802 on board, and made a switch box to direct the AT140 control lines to one or the other. It has worked well, no problems. Just try to find a very high quality 4PDT switch - it isn't easy to do. I can't recall where I sourced mine.

I used an MFJ switch for the coax. It worked well too with no adverse effects to either radio. If you go that route, be sure you get the version that grounds the center conductor of the unused radio coax.

Chip

SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, radio