Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 12:30   #1

SH Matrix AIS VHF connection to Humm 999

Hi Foks,

New guy here but have been reading the forum for some time now.

I just Bought a SH2150 VHF Radio with built in AIS and I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to a Humminbird 999ci HD SI Plotter/FF. I want the radio to recieve DSC location info and have AIS info sent to the plotter.

I've seen a couple posts where it sounds like its possible but I'm still quite confused on how to make the connection.

The 999 have a NMEA2000 RS232 connection on the back and I was tolk that I would need a cable (HB AS-DPS-Y) to allow me to connect to the radio. Has anyone been able to do this and if so, what are the wire color combinations?

Any help would be greatly appreciate

Thanks Pete
pdurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 13:11   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: SH Matrix AIS VHF connection to Humm 999

I just received info from SH concerning using a GX-2150 and a Humminbird 1198ci display, here is the reply from their tech.
Hello Ron,
Unfortunately I don’t have information on Humminbirds products. If you have a wiring diagram from them we can probably lead you in the right direction.

Don’t let the different colors of the wires confuse you. No manufacturer has designed their product to match everyone else's wire colors. What you want to pay attention to is the description of the functions on the wires. Match their Data Out or TX Out with our NMEA In; or their Data In/RX In to our NMEA Out.

If your plotter can send and receive high speed data (38400 baud) then follow these instructions below.

In the General Setup for the radio, set your NMEA Data In/Out to 38400.
The 2150 will need to receive GPS data on the Blue wire. This is an input to the radio. Connecto to output of your plotter
The Green, and Brown wires should be attached to TX (-), RX (-) and or ground. Try connecting it to the ground on your plotter.
The output of AIS and DSC data will occur on the Gray wire at 38400 speed. Output leaving the radio.

Best regards,
Juan Hernandez
Technical Support
j.hernandez@yaesu.com
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:34   #3

Hey Ron,

We're you able to figure out how to connect the,sh2150 to your 1198? What cable did you use on the humminbird unit and what are the wire color definitions?
Thank.....Pete
pdurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

It's not mine I have a SH CP300i, it's a friends boat and we haven't started on it yet. I haven't even seen the humminbird display yet. I'am going to do a search for a 1198ci manual on line to find their color code for the + & - data wires. If I find anything that'll help I'll post it.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, vhf