Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-06-2015, 01:34   #1

SH GX2200 Defective?

I got one of these installed this week, but I'm not seeing any AIS targets. My boat is in a crowded marina, with a (temporary) rail mounted Shakespeare 5215 with new RG-8X. There are at least 30+ boats in the marina that are transmitting AIS.

VHF works fine as does GPS, am I missing something or does this sound like a defective unit? Me all afternoon =

Old 25-06-2015, 13:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 20' Boston Whaler Outrage
Re: SH GX2200 Defective?

diggler,

Is the GX2200 connected to a GPS Chartplotter? Is the problem that you are not seeing AIS targets on the radio or the Chartplotter?

Please confirm that you are receiving GPS data (lat/lon) on the GX2200. You will not see AIS targets on the radio's AIS display without receiving GPS lat/lon.

Old 25-06-2015, 13:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandardHorizon View Post
diggler,

Is the GX2200 connected to a GPS Chartplotter? Is the problem that you are not seeing AIS targets on the radio or the Chartplotter?

Please confirm that you are receiving GPS data (lat/lon) on the GX2200. You will not see AIS targets on the radio's AIS display without receiving GPS lat/lon.
Thanks for the reply! I actually called support this morning and there is one last thing that I need to check: Demo Mode. This unit was purchased from West Marine and was the display model (the last one they had in stock).

Everything else works - I'm heading to my boat this afternoon, hopefully this is the problem!
Old 25-06-2015, 13:16   #4

Also to answer your initial question, the AIS targets aren't appearing anywhere (neither the radio's AIS display nor my chartplotter, a Zeus2 7" via NMEA 0183)
Old 25-06-2015, 14:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

1) Make sure the 'range' setting is set to something sensible. If you set it for a larger number and all your ais ships are close in, what you get is all of them will display at the center of the screen looking exactly as if you received nothing (except the center looks like a star now!). Change the range setting to a small number and the ais objects may appear on the screen.

2) Make sure you are looking at AIS screen. The compass / WPTs screen looks very much like the AIS one. I got fooled more than once.

Let us know how it goes.

b.
Old 25-06-2015, 14:57   #6

Quote:
diggler,

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
1) Make sure the 'range' setting is set to something sensible. If you set it for a larger number and all your ais ships are close in, what you get is all of them will display at the center of the screen looking exactly as if you received nothing (except the center looks like a star now!). Change the range setting to a small number and the ais objects may appear on the screen.

2) Make sure you are looking at AIS screen. The compass / WPTs screen looks very much like the AIS one. I got fooled more than once.

Let us know how it goes.

b.
Tried every combination of display ranges and activation ranges, nothing shows up.

The person in the slip next to me let me plug it into his boat, no dice either.

I'm out of options and time, I'm going to exchange it for another one.
Old 25-06-2015, 15:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 20' Boston Whaler Outrage

diggler,
I sent you a private message with my cell.
R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon / YAESU Aviation
Old 25-06-2015, 22:12   #8

Quote:
diggler,
I sent you a private message with my cell.
R. Jason Kennedy
Executive Vice President
Standard Horizon / YAESU Aviation
Thank you so much for your time and help today, Jason - the support that I have received from Standard Horizon today was nothing less than exceptional, and your time and concerns go a long way in my book!

I wound up doing an exchange at West Marine this afternoon and hooked up the new GX2200 in my boat. Within a matter of seconds, I had GPS coordinates, then a few seconds later AIS data began to fill the screen. Shortly after, I had my Zeus2 wired up and presto - ships began appearing on the chart!

I'm very excited to have this resolved - one can only imagine the misuse that the display model endured before I purchased it (there were a couple of other completely non-functional units from other manufacturers on display, so that should have been a clear sign to me from the get-go).

Thanks again, I'll be a customer for life

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: