Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2012, 09:46   #1

Setting up a Raymarine S1G autopilot

Does anyone have any advice on setting up a Raymarine S1G AP for a sailboat? I know how to set up according to the manual, but this is done under power, but when sailing the responses are not correct. For example not enough rudder is applied when Auto Tacking. The manual has numerous adjustments, but it's not clear how these might apply to sailing.
Thanks
Baz
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 10:30   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Setting up a Raymarine S1G autopilot

Did you do the sea trial calibration? That seemed to work good for mine.
What exactly do you mean not enough rudder is applied?
Does it just not turn fast enough (rate of turn) or does it not change course enough (degrees which it turns)?
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 10:43   #3

Yes I have done the sea trial calibration. But that is done whilst motoring at a steady speed in flat water.
The rate of turn is determined by several factors, I have a full keel boat which turns slowly. The amount of rudder applied during auto tack is just not enough compared to the amount that I apply when I manually tack the boat. Why do I want to auto tack? Because I like to single hand in the San Francisco Bay when at times lots of tacking it needed.
Also when the boat wanders off course the AP ignores it for quite a while.
I know that there are numerous adjustments that I can make, but I was hoping for some shortcuts!
Old 16-05-2012, 11:23   #4

You might want try adjusting the "Response Level" up a little. This will give you more crisp turns and better course keeping. It will also eat up your battery a little more. It is a balancing act.

I assume you have a ST6002 control head. If so you can temporarily adjust the response level by following the attached directions. Try it out and see what level works best for you. Once you find an adjustment to your satisfaction, look up response level adjustment in the "Dealer Calibration" section of the commissioning guide for a permanent adjustment.

If that does not solve your problem you might want to check the auto tack angle adjustment which is in the dealer calibration section also.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Response Adjustment.pdf (76.4 KB, 112 views)
Old 16-05-2012, 17:05   #5

I have the ST7002 control head. Increasing the response increases the movement of the system in terms of how quickly it responses to a course correction. AutoTack angle alters the new course. i.e increases it or reduces it, but the angle of rudder applied for a given correction remains the same.
SeaTrial calibration, as I said, is done whilst motoring. I might try it when I am sailing downwind and see what happens. I can prevent gybing with my boom brake.
Raymarine has a learning technology which they call AST ( I think ) I was hoping this would help, but after quite a few miles there seems now change. What I really want is a faster rate of turn by a greater rudder movement.
Old 17-05-2012, 06:56   #6

You may have to compare how much rudder is applied when on autopilot and when on manual. If not the same you will have to adjust your “quadrant” also you may try to adjust the auto tack (see X5 operating guide p.15) and or turn rate limit (X5 inst. & Setup p.55)
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 10:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
I have the ST7002 control head. Increasing the response increases the movement of the system in terms of how quickly it responses to a course correction. AutoTack angle alters the new course. i.e increases it or reduces it, but the angle of rudder applied for a given correction remains the same.
SeaTrial calibration, as I said, is done whilst motoring. I might try it when I am sailing downwind and see what happens. I can prevent gybing with my boom brake.
Raymarine has a learning technology which they call AST ( I think ) I was hoping this would help, but after quite a few miles there seems now change. What I really want is a faster rate of turn by a greater rudder movement.
Have you tried to adjust the rudder gain? You can do that temporarily to using the operating guide. Later make a permanent change in the dealer calibration section.
Old 17-05-2012, 19:58   #8

No, I am going to play with the rudder gain along with other adjustments. It's a pity that Raymarine doesn't offer any advice in setting up a sailboat

Tags
autopilot, raymarine