Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2016, 05:01   #31

Re: Selecting a $#*& Chartplotter worse than a new laptop

I've sailed/raced Lake Ontario for 45 years and navigated for lakewide races using charts and dead reckoning, ADF, LORAN and GPS since the Magellan Nav 1000. I currently use a Garmin 741SX in a Navpod on an angleguard and it works great. Could be a little brighter in direct sunlight, but it is 98% better than a useless iPad for sun visibility.

rikker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:39   #32

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have an expensive Simrad NSE8; Laptop with open source; an ancient GPS - came with the boat AND -
Garmin Dakota hand held GPS plotter.
The OP might consider adding a similar device rather than replacing the existing. Our cruising grounds have been the Great Lakes for the last 6 years.

I clip the Dakota at the helm or on my coat. It uses 2 rechargeable AA batteries for 14 hours. It came with all NOAA US charts. I added Canada Great Lakes & east coast micro card.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:42   #33

Boat: Want a B430!

Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
well, West Marine has a GARMIN
echoMAP™ 44dv Chartplotter/Sonar Combo with DownVü Scanning Sonar

on sale for $199. pretty good plotter, but it has a fish finder with it.

it also has a $200 rebate if you buy it and a garmin Blue Chart G2 Vision HD charrt card.

it comes with a Garmin Blue chart but, if you can find a good deal on the HD card, you can get the whole lot for pretty cheap.

Well, I didn't see this until now, but thanks, that's what I bought.

I was researching the Elite 5 and the similar size Raymarine products when this Garmin 44dv popped up under the two-day flash sale on WM website. $200! It's approximately the same size as what I have now. So I drove to WM and looked at it and the "larger" units, and guess what- the Elite 5 and Raymarine screens aren't functionally as big as they look! That would have been a disappointment.

The 44dv comes with a transom mounted transducer, which will go in the trash or sit in a box; I may try it through the hull to see what happens, more likely have to buy a separate transducer.

One of the things that sold me on the 44dv is the number of boaters (mostly fishermen) who were pleased with how well they could see it in bright light.

Thanks everyone!

Tetepare is online now   Reply With Quote

chartplotter, laptop

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: