Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2016, 14:16   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Security systems

Has anyone had experience with security systems on your boat? Looking for a motion detector in the cockpit and below deck. Siren probably on the mast with a light. The light could be on stern. Would like as much as possible to be wireless. Generally trying to keep non professionals off the boat and scare them when they get on. Thanks Dave sv Aloisius

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 19-08-2016, 15:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Security systems

Here's an article I wrote about setting up strain gauge alarms on a cruising boat
Alarmed | Blue Water Sailing

Old 19-08-2016, 16:30   #3
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Paul L;2192965]Here's an article I wrote about setting up strain gauge alarms on a cruising boat

Can a strain gage be used in a 12v dc circuit? For example could you use one as as switch to operate a small relay or is it some sort of variable resistor thing with transistors? Do you have any idea of the radius of deck area 1 gage would cover?
Old 19-08-2016, 17:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are more like variable resistors. The area covered depends on the deck material and thickness. They are expoxied under the deck. They are sensitive enough to work on steel decks. On my thick and stiff FG deck I use one to cover an area about 3ft by 2 ft or so.

The controller for the strain gauges fires off relays to get sirens and lights.
Old 19-08-2016, 17:42   #5

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Has anyone had experience with security systems on your boat? Looking for a motion detector in the cockpit and below deck. Siren probably on the mast with a light. The light could be on stern. Would like as much as possible to be wireless.
No real experience on my boat yet but when it gets sorted out it will almost certainly be based around a Raspberry Pi running openplotter. Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog

It already allows easy access to using the Pi with switches and is evolving fast. If you're OK with a bit of electronics /programming the esp8266 boards can take care of the wireless side.
Powerful, email or sms alarms etc but not straight off the shelf.
Old 19-08-2016, 18:03   #6

Boat: Cascade 36

I just installed a Boat Command (https://boatcommand.com/) system on my boat about 3-4 weeks ago. It's a cellular based monitoring system. I do believe there is an "international" version available.

Security is one of the core functions of the system though I'm not 100% sure it could do all of the things you are hoping for.

For me the "security system" consists of a reed switch on the companionway hatch. If/when it opens I get a text message and an email within 30 seconds.

There are motion detectors available as well but I have not installed one. It should be noted that while multiples of the security detectors (reed switch or motion) can be used they are paralleled on the same circuit to the device.

The device does have the capability for you to install three different "relay devices" that I believe can be used to throw a switch. With that capability you could probably manually throw a siren or various lights on/off when you get an security alert.
Old 20-08-2016, 08:31   #7

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Good article Paul L. Does anyone have experience with the sensitive strips that are epoxied to the deck? Stepping into my cockpit, you step onto a wooden seat that is on the fiberglass. Will a sensor pick up pressure through the fiberglass and through th wooden seat?

Old 20-08-2016, 08:59   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good article Paul L. Does anyone have experience with the sensitive strips that are epoxied to the deck? Stepping into my cockpit, you step onto a wooden seat that is on the fiberglass. Will a sensor pick up pressure through the fiberglass and through th wooden seat?

If you are referring to the strain gauges I mentioned in the article, they should be able to pickup the step onto the seat easily.
Old 20-08-2016, 10:15   #9

Quote:
Has anyone had experience with security systems on your boat? Looking for a motion detector in the cockpit and below deck. Siren probably on the mast with a light. The light could be on stern. Would like as much as possible to be wireless. Generally trying to keep non professionals off the boat and scare them when they get on. Thanks Dave sv Aloisius

Have no affiliation with these people, however they carry an English product that has been around and used in the defense and industrial settings for 30 years or so.

This may be of interest
Old 20-08-2016, 10:28   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Hi Landon,

We went with a Siren Marine monitoring system that can trigger alarms while we are on or off the boat, and alert us via text messaging. [If there is cell service, and yes, it is international...]

Besides intruder alerts via whatever sensing mechanism(s) you prefer, it also reports many other system statuses on the boat. [e.g., battery bank voltage, bilge pump cycles and durations, shore power status, etc.]

Here is our write-up about the system and its capabilities, along with relevant links in case you are interested.

Best wishes finding what is best for your needs.

Cheers! Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 10:55   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
They are more like variable resistors. The area covered depends on the deck material and thickness. They are expoxied under the deck. They are sensitive enough to work on steel decks. On my thick and stiff FG deck I use one to cover an area about 3ft by 2 ft or so.

The controller for the strain gauges fires off relays to get sirens and lights.
Do you have a source for the strain gauge?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 11:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
See post #9
Old 20-08-2016, 14:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Flagship Marine Security - Quality Boat Alarms
Old 20-08-2016, 17:02   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Following

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 17:30   #15
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

The stuff looks too expensive and worse yet you can't build it yourself. Having to worry about the deck expanding etc, takes it out of the realm of a do it your self type project.
Are laser beams an option?

Tags
security

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: