Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2012, 14:43   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR
Security system

Hi List
Looking for advise. Our boat is in Peurto Vallarta and we live in Canada. We have someone looking after it but we can be away from there for months at a time. It's not that we don't trust them but it would be pease of mind knowing if the boat was being used while we were away. Is there some sort of a system that i could access from my home computer to tell me if the boat was out or being moved. Some sort of a camera that's WiFi connected or simular. It could run off the inverter thats fed by the 12 volt batteries that are kept up from the solar panels. Any thoughts.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 15:01   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Security system

Many trucks/machinery/hire equipment of value in this modern world have tracking devices as long as there's radio/sat signal it works. Google it...
Old 28-12-2012, 15:31   #3

Boat: islandpacket
Google findmespot you can get them at west marine. Dont think it has video. But will keep track of location and alarms
Old 28-12-2012, 22:51   #4

Boat: Amel 50

I have been considering this: Amazon.com: SPOT HUG Satellite Based Boat Monitoring & Theft System: Electronics.

I have not decided yet though... I prefer things without monthly payments...
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 23:46   #5

Boat: TBA

Google "farm Security" or try Ebay For a Farm security camera these things work great ,they have a model with a sim card which will alert you to anything with pictures on your phone or email as it is happening.

I use them they cost (ebay Australia $225 aud) and they give a very,very clear picture of any thing that moves day or night at around 20 metres a car numberplate is easily read.They are the best and cheapest thing around that works Note mine get wet but not with any salt)
i have a $20 sim card and need to top it up around every 10-12 weeks.

the police are astounded at the quality (reasonable digital photo from the camera) and have used it in court.

it can be concealed in the boat or strapped to a spreader (on a tree at around 30 feet they are hard to see). but if you leave it in the saloon any one walking on to the boat gives you a video for police

they have a sd card it takes about 6 mths in the bush to fill it up so if the sim is not required you still have a photo of everyone on the boat (the without sim card model is about half price on ebay Australia)

2 x MMS 12MP Camera Trail Game Hunting FREE 8GB SD Card Farm Security IR 940NM
1 Yr Lwty★FREE 8GB SD Card★New MMS Features★Ltl Acorn★
Store: Kiddywarehouse
Seller User Id: kiddywarehouse2011

Watch this item

AU $455.00
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 04:09   #6

Boat: Dufour 310
Hi
I use a GPS tracker. It can be set to send you an SMS or I use a free service from gps-trace.com. the tracker is a tk102 and can be purchased on eBay for $80 or so?they are a bit tricky to setup but once going work great. I have a sim card that costs me just $10 per month.

I also supply these commercially to local charter boat operators to track the fleet. It is possible to set a geo fence so that it alarms you on movement from a set area.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 04:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I have been considering this: Amazon.com: SPOT HUG Satellite Based Boat Monitoring & Theft System: Electronics.

I have not decided yet though... I prefer things without monthly payments...
This product has been discontinued.
JMcGarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 04:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Here is a thread on THT about a 100% Marine product that was designed to monitor all the vital systems on your boat, track it's movements and even control 12v or 24v accessories remotely. One note, there is a free iPhone app available, but an iPhone is not necessary. Feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have.

Absolute Must Have...... - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
JMcGarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:28   #9

Boat: Catalina 30 in PVR

Hi JMcGarr
Have looked at what I can find on this Spot Hug. Seems to be what I might be after. Is there a web site that I can find where I can get more info. Your link seems to be Amazon,E-bay listings. who makes this unit.
dnimigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:52   #10

Boat: Amel 50

Here you are: SPOT HUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnimigon View Post
Hi JMcGarr
Have looked at what I can find on this Spot Hug. Seems to be what I might be after. Is there a web site that I can find where I can get more info. Your link seems to be Amazon,E-bay listings. who makes this unit.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security