Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 20:41   #1

Security and Peace of Mind

My boat sits in the slip at a marina unattended for long periods. Ive been looking at different boat monitors and there seems to be alot of options out there. im wondering if anybody has a monitoring/security system that the like or ones they dont like for that matter? or what everyone is doing to protect there boat
islander28capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 20:45   #2

I don't know where your boat is, but I'd say 3/4 of the boats around here aren't even locked up. Every year or two a couple of boats are broken into (locked up or not) and some loose electronics and fishing reels are stolen. I don't mean to minimize the problem and it greatly depends on where your boat is, but around here it's not too big of an issue.

We lock the boat up when we leave.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 16:35   #3

I know what you mean. Im in what i feel is a safe marina, i only lock the companionway about half the time. The type of stuff i worry about is the self inflicted type! Ariving early am for a day sail just to find out i left lights on last time i was on board and the batteries are dead or the pillow someone was using in the cockpit didnt get put away and now its blocking the cockpit scuppers backing up rain water into the cabin. (it happened wont place blame)Just looking at someof the systems that send e-mail or text messages and wondering if anyone had any experiance with any of them! Guess the real question would be what keeps You from worring about your boat when your not onboard??
islander28capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 17:14   #4

Boat: Prout 46
My boat lives in Florida and I live in Washington State. Even though it is parked at a GREAT marina with very attentive staff, I still worry about night time break ins, fire or water in the bilge. I bought a "Boat Nanny" a year ago to monitor the boat and it really gives me peace of mind.

It sends me and my wife a text every day indicating that all systems are OK and calls us when any parameter is not within set limits.

It monitors bilge water, smoke, fire, inside and outside temperature, AC and DC voltage and has a motion sensor for intruders. The unit cost around $900.00 and the basic plan is about $10.00 a month. The only downside is when I'm freezing my butt off here in Washington it reminds me everyday how warm it is on the boat.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security