Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 06:48   #1
CFR

Seatec Onwa Chart Plotter

Hi, here in Germany one can buy cheap chart plotter from Seatec ( made in China ).

I found the manufacturer called ONWA Huayang Technology ( HK ) Co.,Ltd - FISH FINDER, MARINE GPS, CHART PLOTTER, MARINE RADAR, AUTO PILOT, CB RADIO, SATELLITE PHONE, ISATDOCK

Does anyone know this radar and plotters. They look like a copy of some Furuno GPS , esp the KP 32 is lookalike the Furuno GP 32........

As today most electronic is comming from China i wonder is such manufacturer could be a good buy. The prices are great..... 12 " plotter 800 USD

Maybe they are sold under different names in the world.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40
Re: Seatec Onwa Chart Plotter

This is the user manual for the ONWA chart plotter. I'm reviewing its specs against other chart plotters to see where it falls down. Here in the states, I'd have to buy it direct from ONWA, China. Customer support will be limited to emails, although the staff does seem responsive at this point.

Does anyone see major deficiencies in the specs? At $530 + shipping to me, it might be worth a flyer if I'm willing to assume the no warranty/poor support issues.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Excerpt ONWA KP-1299 Chart Plotter Manual (2).pdf (578.2 KB, 1044 views)
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:17   #3
CFR

Hi Chris, i was thinking the same and maybe i will be in China this year and i consider to visit them directly and handcarry one plotter, ofcourse the 12 " one back home to avoid any VAT. A friend just bought the 5 " version which is sold under the name SEATEC and via Spain in Europe and so far it looks ok . Actually i do need to many gadget but only an nice big screen and seeong the price maybe incl AIS and fishfinder one could take the risk with the warranty issue.
Only the cheap 5" model is sold here but not the bigger ones....i dont know why?
Hopefully somemore here in CF have add info about ONWA
Old 04-04-2012, 23:37   #4

Hello,
I'm also interested. Today I received the prices. The 1299 should cost $560 excl shipping.view.pdf.
Any one some experience?
miro010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:17   #5

yes I have Onwa KP-8299 and KP-6299. As they were so cheap I bought both of them. Shipment arrived from China with air freight in a couple of days after wire transfer payment. Installed on the boat, one at helm, one at chart table. The smaller one seems to have more brilliant display so that one went to helm. Shows AIS targets as chart overlay and as AIS radar view, 38400 baud NMEA input. 4800 baud NMEA output to autopilot. Very substantial build, heavy cast aluminium. Only drawback that cannot show wind, depth info received from NMEA but the new firmware on SVB.de website now seems to include wind and depth http://svb.de/out/1/html/0/images/wy...av6_update.pdf
plus some additional languages. Not sure if the firmware will work on KP-8299 though. Analysing the firmware update content could it be linux based? Would it be possible to run OpenCPN on this hardware?
Anyhow, so far I'm happy with these units...
stara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 17:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

stara: Are you satisfied with the supplied K-chart? Have you tried C-Map Max maps in the unit yet?

Glad you're experiencing good performance. You can't beat the price!!
Old 06-04-2012, 01:36   #7

I use C-map Max in these. The base chart in the unit seems to have full detail on areas around China and south east asia, but not for my sailing area and thus I needed to use C-maps. The sales person from China said this in an email before I made the order so no surprise.
stara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 04:21   #8
CFR

hi all meanwhile i also received my Onwa plotter 1299 A with AIS transponder, screen is very brilliant, GPS fix in my basemant at home was very fast and i can trace 3-7 satellits even from the basement, seems to be a god antenna. I installed a C map Mega wide and so far everything is working.

I have some ideas to improve some of the sreens and i am talking with Onwa and it looks like they are interested to fix it with new firmware. fast and good respone by email so far.

TO STARA: if you have any comment or ideas to improve something please let me know so that Onwa maybe can use the info for the new firmware.
Old 19-10-2012, 09:10   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I also recieved my ONWA KP 1299 chart plotter, along with their radar. Looking forward to setting up in basement this winter and playing with unit also. What kind of screen improvements are you considering? I'm hoping to interface my GSX2100 radio+ AIS NMEAoutput. Will let everyone know how it works out. Glad to hear ONWA has good email for tech service. I certainly was happy with the buying/shipping process.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:22   #10

radar is great; can spot crab pots floats at 200 yards. Plotter is good but you must make sure you have the latest software version that Onwa posts on their web site. Otherwise the plotter freezes up .

You have to make up your own interface cables. They just provide the plugs.
It is very difficult to connect the tiny wires to the plug connectors on an 6 or 8 wire plug.
sharkbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 11:49   #11

Boat: Colvic Countess 28'

I realise that this an old post. The original poster suggested that Huayang and Onwa were the same - not so. Onwa is a major manufacturer, Huayang was a distributor in Hong Kong. I say "was" as they lost their distributor status as their after sales support did not meet Onwa's strict requirements - in other words they sold the product but didn't adequately support it. However, Onwa do have distributors in Europe who will support what they sell. There is one in the U.K, AVES Marine.com.
alanvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:23   #12

new firmware 2014-12-12 Seatec NAV-6/6i / Onwa 6299 ?

Hello!

During browsing the SVB product page of the Seatec NAV-6 (external GPS antenna) and same for NAV-6i (internal GPS antenna)
SEATEC - Kartenplotter NAV-6 / NAV-6i ab 299,95 € | SVB Spezialversand für Yacht- und Bootszubehör GmbH
I found there 3 days ago the new firmware 14-12-12, according to naming as of 12th December 2014.

It seems, this is the newest firmware available for Seatec/Onwa plotters.
On Onwa page and Aves Marine you find today only 14-07-16.

In Germany I beta-tested a bit for SVB the new firmwares for Seatec NAV-6, the 14-12-12 is good, the 1st official firmware since 13-12-26.
During summer 2014 I tested also the in-between firmwares of 2014.

Seatec NAV-6/6i is the model, which can display AIS informations, received via NMEA 0183 from external AIS-receiver/splitter like example in-built (Furuno) Radio Ocean RO 4800 VHF/DSC/ATIS/AIS.

Download of Firmware:

http://www.svb.de/media/content/pdf/...AV6-Update.zip

German Update manual:
http://www.svb.de/media/content/pdf/...av6_update.pdf

Some features / short test of firmware 14-12-12 :

Now every owner of Seatec NAV-6/6i can enjoy quick zoom, obviously relatively stable.
I tried by zooming in/out, "driving" through East-Swedish archipelago Stockholm-south of Stockholm in Baltic Sea on C-Map SD-card.

You can select, if more or less zoom steps.
Less zoom steps means: the scale factor nearly doubles at each step, which makes sense imo, better/more quick zoom behaviour.

More new features:

Odometer:
starts at 000,0 nm
nautical miles counter, easy to reset to 0 manually.
Freely configuration in which data fields odometer is shown.

VMG, TTG, ETA

VMG is correctly VMC.
VMG = velocity made good , VMC = velocity made course.
This Onwa-VMG is computed by formula: VMG/VMC = SOG * cos alpha
Angle alpha is difference between (bearing to target waypoint) and (COG).

TTG = time to go (to waypoint)
ETA = Estimated time of Arrival (at waypoint)
TTG and ETA are simply computed via distance to waypoint and VMG/VMC.

Obviously, VMG should display negative speed values, if boat sails with an angle of more than 90° (up to 180°) wrong to bearing (to waypoint).
But 14-12-12 firmware shows positive VMG values, even if you drive backwards to waypoint and you increase distance to waypoint.
I have reported this wrong behaviour several times to SVB (which transmits it to Onwa programmer).
(Also the formulas for VMG/VMC, ETA, TTG, tcpa and cpa were sent by me to SVB).
The - Minus sign for VMG, if boat drives backwards, is not yet implemented.
So, if you drive in wrong direction, don't be too happy about your fast positive VMG speed.......
TTG and ETA will increase...
(TTG and ETA are computed and displayed correctly.)
I don't understand, why programmer uses a function like I VMG I or I cos alpha I,
because VMG is simply VMG = SOG * cos alpha,
because of cosinus function, the negative values should appear automatically correctly.

In AIS menu you can let show cpa and tcpa , since longer time in previous firmwares.
cpa = closest point of approach (in nautical miles) (shortest distance between your own boat A and other boat B in future)
tcpa = time of closest point of approach, (eg. minutes until cpa will happen)
I transmitted the formulas to SVB, and already during summer 2014 tcpa was computed correctly.
But not cpa in summer 2014.
cpa was only shown as current "distance of now" between boat A (with Seatec plotter) and the other boat B driving close.

Because my boat is not yet in water, I cannot test cpa with this new firmware soon.

It would be very kind, if somebody else could have a close look on AIS with tcpa and cpa.
And please report here

Who uses his Onwa or Seatec NAV-6/6i first, receives AIS and looks for tcpa and cpa ?
Other ships, which move around and transmit AIS, should be around always...

I think, who owns an Onwa or Seatec plotter has much interest in correct AIS functions of the plotter.
Especially tcpa and cpa !

Please report soon, if possible, your positive or negative experiences !
So, that we can enjoy now the good functions,
or otherwise,
Onwa is pointed to another update, be it from Aves Marine or from SVB.
Me and many will be thankful!
Hai-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 05:21   #13

new firmware 2015 Onwa or Seatec Chart Plotter: AIS: cpa and tcpa working correct ?

Hello! Now season has begun, but I haven't started yet, too busy. I will be around mid of June on boat and can test and use correct AIS receiving function cpa and tcpa. cpa: closest point of approach in some minutes future time from now, computed by own boat's GPS data own position + COG + SOG, and other ship's by AIS received data otehr position + SOG + COG of the other ship. In 2014 firmware cpa has shown not the future computed closes distance, but only the current distance (distance of now) of our boat and the other ship. But in 2014 tcpa was computed correctly ! tcpa: time, when closest point of approach, shortest distance, will be there. Have you tried latest firmware of 2015-02-07 ? Onwa marine electronics - UK Distributor - Downloads/everything else[/url] At home, it works well for me, but i cannot test AIS, tcpa and cpa at home Anybody out there, who receives other ships AIS and can have a quick look at cpa and tcpa ?
Old 17-05-2015, 04:41   #14

new firmware 2015 Onwa or Seatec Chart Plotter: AIS: cpa and tcpa working correct ?

Somehow the formatting is lost during my last posting, so please forgive me, if I repost, cannot edit my previous post.
Also - got PM about my new status as 'Marine Serive Provider', too much honour, thanks! - , I want to tell, that I am 100% non-commercial, 100% non-profit in Marine-business related to GPS chart plotters, especially Onwa or Seatec.
About what i write here, is just because of my own interest in my own Seatec NAV-6i plotter, to improve firmware and functions.
Of course, we, all users of Onwa or Seatec plotters will benefit...

Hello!

Now season has begun, but I haven't started yet, too busy.
I will be around mid of June on boat and can test and use correct AIS receiving function cpa and tcpa.

cpa: closest point of approach in some minutes future time from now,

computed by own boat's GPS data own position + COG + SOG, and other ship's by AIS received data other position + SOG + COG of the other ship.

In 2014 firmware cpa has shown not the future computed closes distance, but only the current distance (distance of now) of our boat and the other ship.
But in 2014 tcpa was computed correctly !

tcpa: time, when closest point of approach, shortest distance, will be there.

Have you tried latest firmware of 2015-02-07 ?

Get it here for your model, eg. display 6, 8 or 12 inches:
Onwa marine electronics - UK Distributor - Downloads/everything else

At home, it works well for me, but i cannot test AIS, tcpa and cpa at home

Anybody out there, who receives other ships AIS and can have a quick look at cpa and tcpa ?
Old 31-08-2015, 05:26   #15

Onwa Chart Plotter by Avesmarine, UK, Kent

Hello chris07732,

You have sent me an email via this forum, I think,
and you congratulate me to a service marine provider status,
and you ask for an 12" Onwa plottter.

Sorry,
I am just an owner of an Onwa product (the small 6") also.
of course I am interested in the firmware development, because over those 2 years Onwa made a good job with quite a good firmware already, maybe perfect now, maybe some slight improvements still possible, I will see soon on my boat, this year no time for sailing so far !
And in the long run, I would update to a bigger Onwa plotter, either 8 oder 12".

Nevertheless, with latest Onwa firmware those Onwa plotters do a very good job, already in 2014, I was satisfied.

For now, I can recommend you simply, to install latest Onwa firmware for your model, you can get it via avesmarine.com or directly from Onwa homepage.

Plotter runs fine with C-Map Max or K-chart.

If you have any other questions eg. to hardware, data cable eg., I suggest, you get in contact with the official Onwa distributor for UK, that is Avesmarine , I think Alan Vick is the director. I know him as a very friendly and supportive person.

Tags
chartplotter