Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2015, 20:15   #1

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Seatalk to Seatalkng to NMEA 2000 Power

I have an ST60 wind and an ST60 multi (depth speed) that I want to extract data into a NMEA 2000 system. Installed a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter, and connected a converter cable from the converter to the first SeaTalk device on the spur. Also connected a drop cable from the converter to the NMEA2000 network. Now I am up to power connection, with questions:

1. My understanding is that hooking up the SeaTalkng power cable to the converter will supply power to the NMEA2000 network as well (via the drop cable that connects the converter to the NMEA network). Is that correct.

2. It appears that the ST60 instruments will get power from the converter as well. Correct?

3. The SeaTalkng power cable has a red, black, and bare wire. What is the bare wire for?

I am going from the two ST60 instruments and a Garmin plotter, to a B&G Zeus2 chartplotter, 4G radar, Vesper AIS transceiver, NMEA2000 network with GPS, WiFi, VHF, etc. And a lot of new wiring, switches and fuses. Just about have everything installed but working on final hookup. So far at least the VHF and stereo work. Trying to be careful not to fry anything!

mike
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 05:29   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Seatalk to Seatalkng to NMEA 2000 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I have an ST60 wind and an ST60 multi (depth speed) that I want to extract data into a NMEA 2000 system. Installed a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter, and connected a converter cable from the converter to the first SeaTalk device on the spur. Also connected a drop cable from the converter to the NMEA2000 network. Now I am up to power connection, with questions:
If you have an existing NMEA2000, the convertor can be placed in-line with the NMEA2000 bus ( but just be aware of connector differences etc)

Alternatively , use a drop cable to the NMEA2000

Quote:
1. My understanding is that hooking up the SeaTalkng power cable to the converter will supply power to the NMEA2000 network as well (via the drop cable that connects the converter to the NMEA network). Is that correct.

yes, thats correct

Quote:
2. It appears that the ST60 instruments will get power from the converter as well. Correct?
yes

Quote:
3. The SeaTalkng power cable has a red, black, and bare wire. What is the bare wire for?
its a shield
Quote:
I am going from the two ST60 instruments and a Garmin plotter, to a B&G Zeus2 chartplotter, 4G radar, Vesper AIS transceiver, NMEA2000 network with GPS, WiFi, VHF, etc. And a lot of new wiring, switches and fuses. Just about have everything installed but working on final hookup. So far at least the VHF and stereo work. Trying to be careful not to fry anything!

mike
be aware that the ST60 /seatalk bus and the convertor , only converts a fairly limited range of data, for example I dont believe true wind is converted

dave
Old 20-04-2015, 05:39   #3

Thanks Dave. Would you hook the shield up to the negative, or just leave it unconnected. I don't have a grounding plate. My boat is powered by outboard motors.

"True wind"? I think this is calculated data, using the measured apparent wind and the boat speed. Am hoping that the apparent wind and boat speed comes thru, and suspect that the B&G SailSteer can calculate the true wind. (At this point, I am optimistic!)
Old 20-04-2015, 05:54   #4

Ok, so here is another question, this time about the NMEA2000 network. I have a 4-spur block, a backbone cable, and then three T's screwed together directly. Can the last T have the standard spur come off of the top and go to an instrument, and also a spur to another instrument where the backbone cable or a terminator would be located? In other words, can a T have two spurs - each connected to a different instrument - come off of it?
Old 20-04-2015, 05:55   #5

And are there any no-no's on running the NMEA2000 cables? Can I run it alongside 12v power lines?
Old 21-04-2015, 12:02   #6

Ok, I have read that the end of the T has to have a termination, and not a spur cable to an instrument.

Am still not sure what to do with the shield? Wrap this with the black wire and connect to negative side of battery?
Old 21-04-2015, 19:54   #7

I don't hook up the red from the seatalk to the seatalk adapter.

the seatalk stuff is already powered. build a powered n2k network if you don't already have one. then just connect the yellow and shield from the seatalk to adapter. each will be self powered. and everything will work. especially if there is a pilot in the system. because normall that already powers the st60 stuff as well as the pilot display

if you build a n2k network and connect existing st60 stuff in with all 3 wires. everything will be double powered.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:30   #8

That makes sense. Have considered this (thanks for the replys) and done some additional investigation of how it was hooked up before though. The ST60 instruments are powered separate from the SmartPilot. There is a yellow and negative (black) that comes from the ST60 depth to the pilot. That is how the pilot is getting the data from the two ST60 instruments, but as the red is not hooked up to the pilot, it is not getting double powered.

The SeaTalkng converter has a spur with the standard SeaTalk plug on the other end that provides power to the ST60's, and gets data from them. I will use that for powering the ST60 instruments, the converter, and also the N2K network (as the converter spur plugs into one of the T's). Just leave the yellow and negative going to the pilot from the last ST60, and that should get my pilot info to the converter and thus into the network.

As you pointed out, I could instead provide the power to the N2K, which would power the converter, and also the ST60 instruments. I like that better but it means another T in the N2K network, and I already have unused spots on the converter for the power instead. I am running out of room for additional connectors, having put all of this into the back of a galley cabinet (VHF coming thru wall, Vesper AIS transceiver, antenna splitter, radar interface box, switches, fuse box, negative bus, six-drop N2K). I got a WiFi with the purchase of the B&G instruments, and I may just leave it off due to lack of space!
Old 23-04-2015, 01:04   #9

you need to power the n2k / seatalk ng network (same bus), and hence the converter via it's nmea 2k / seatalk ng connection. the converter won't power up via the seatalk power.

I'm pretty sure that is what I found but it's been a few months since I played around with it. as I already posted. my soulution was power the n2k, power the seatalk. and not connect the red from the seatalk to the adapter.
Old 23-04-2015, 01:14   #10

I just reread your first post and I think your are confused. you don't drop a line from the n2k bus to the converter. the converter becomes part of the bus. you come from the end of the n2k bus (remove n2k terminator) and run to end of converter with a seatalk ng bus to nmea 2k converter cable (I don't think they make one of these, I make my own). then the other end of the converter has the blue terminator. so you end up with half a seatalk ng network and half a n2k network joined in the middle by a bus converter cable.

the n2k and seatalkng is a single bus. they are the same thing just different connectors. you can power the single bus from either the seatalkng ports on the coverter or a n2k tee

from the converter you can power the st60 gauges. but since they are existing. it would just be easier to not connect the red as I posted above. and leave all the existing wires as is. if you are redoing everything. and want to power from the n2k. then you need to remove the existing power to the st60's

if you drop a single line from a n2k tee to the converter, and only plug the seatalk plug in, and use the black blank plugs in the ends instead of the blue terminators it might work. but defiantly don't use the blue ones if you are dropping to the converter.
Old 23-04-2015, 05:16   #11

So what you are saying is that the SeaTalkng converter should be connected just like another T in the N2K network? So connect it at the end of the N2K network with a backbone cable, instead of a spur?

I have removed the old power connection to the ST60 gauges. Originally the series was powered up by a cord that had a SeaTalk connector on the end. The spur coming from the converter has a similar hard plug, and that is how the instruments now get their power. Which is why I was going to power the converter, and not the N2K with another power wire, and certainly not the ST60's. I think I got that right.

I currently have a "sea talk ng to devicenet" cable that fits from the converter white to the N2K T spur end. What you are saying I need instead is a cable that has a blue connector to the converter, and a N2K connector at the other end that would connect like a backbone. (That N2K end fitting would be a male?)

I know there are currently two white-end sea talk ng to devicenet cables available. One has a male devicenet end, and one has a female. I have one that connects to the T at the top - like a spur - so that must be a female end fitting?
Old 23-04-2015, 06:14   #12

Ok, I just talked with Raymarine. Amazing - got in under five minutes. Anyway the recommended installation is to splice a SeaTalkng blue-connector backbone cable into a N2K backbone cable. I suspect that is what you were trying to say?

Tags
nmea, nmea 2000, seatalk