Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 19:30   #1

Boat: Vagabond, Westwind Ketch, 42'
Seatalk NG Autopilot to NMEA 2000

I have a Garmin NMEA 2000 backbone installed already in my sailboat with a Garmin 740 GPS, Garmin Depth Intelliducer, Garmin Wind sensor and two Garmin GMI 10 Instrument displays connected to it. This NMEA 2000 backbone is powered thru a power cable going to the special NMEA 2000 Power Tee that I installed in the middle of the backbone. I have now purchased a Raymarine autopilot system consisting of a linear drive, a SPX30 Corepack and a ST70 Control Head. Do I assemble the Raymarine Seatalk ng backbone for the ST70 and the SPX30 and then install a normal Raymarine Seatalk ng tee in the Seatalk ng backbone, a normal Garmin NMEA 2000 tee in the NMEA 2000 backbone and then connect these two backbones tee's with a Raymarine Adapter cable (A06046) or do I not assemble the Seatalk ng backbone but instead just connect the ST70 Control Head separately to the NMEA 2000 Backbone with a A06046 adapter cable and then attach the SPX30 Corepack separately to the NMEA 2000 Backbone with a A06046 adapter cable.
Thanks for any help. JC
Helimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 06:05   #2

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: Seatalk ng autopilot to NMEA 2000

There are others who probably know better but my understanding was that all of these devices you mentioned speak N2K so you should be able to keep them all on the same network I would think. I think you just need the adapter and not the whole Seatalk backbone. Will be interested to hear what others have to say.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 16:51   #3

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Re: Seatalk NG Autopilot to NMEA 2000

Per Raymarine's SeaTalkNG primer, the NMEA2000 adapter cable is connected as a spur off a tee on the NG network. While not stated explicitly in the primer (maybe I just didn't see it?), the NMEA2000 adapter cable has a white connector like all the other spur cables, whereas the NG backbone cables use blue connectors...

So you'll need an NG backbone cable with terminators on both ends, and an NMEA2000 backbone cable with terminators on both ends as well...

FWIW, joining both backbones together as a common backbone would probably work, but all bets are off if there are any problems. Both manufacturers would blame the other...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 18:13   #4

Boat: Shannon, cutter rigged, 37 feet
I would contact Raymarine tech support with your questions. I have found them very responsive in the past.
MysticFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Seatalk NG Autopilot to NMEA 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helimech View Post
I have a Garmin NMEA 2000 backbone installed already in my sailboat with a Garmin 740 GPS, Garmin Depth Intelliducer, Garmin Wind sensor and two Garmin GMI 10 Instrument displays connected to it. This NMEA 2000 backbone is powered thru a power cable going to the special NMEA 2000 Power Tee that I installed in the middle of the backbone. I have now purchased a Raymarine autopilot system consisting of a linear drive, a SPX30 Corepack and a ST70 Control Head. Do I assemble the Raymarine Seatalk ng backbone for the ST70 and the SPX30 and then install a normal Raymarine Seatalk ng tee in the Seatalk ng backbone, a normal Garmin NMEA 2000 tee in the NMEA 2000 backbone and then connect these two backbones tee's with a Raymarine Adapter cable (A06046) or do I not assemble the Seatalk ng backbone but instead just connect the ST70 Control Head separately to the NMEA 2000 Backbone with a A06046 adapter cable and then attach the SPX30 Corepack separately to the NMEA 2000 Backbone with a A06046 adapter cable.
Thanks for any help. JC
I have a Raymarine X10 AP with ST70 controller sharing a backbone with (2) ST70 MFDs, (3) Ray Transducer Pods, Furuno Navnet3D MFD, Furuno GPS, and (2) Actisense gateways. SeatalkNG wiring is N2K, voltages, color codes, etc. all the same (obviously different connectors). You just need to be careful to not duplicate instruments (ST70's don't like duplicates), i.e. a single GPS, single depth, etc. Since you already have N2K backbone, I would add each Raymarine device by putting on a field installable N2K connector. Normal N2K design constraints, length, power, etc.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, nmea, nmea 2000, seatalk