Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 10:45   #16

Re: Seatalk Fail Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If the yellow data wire connected to a device (e.g. Pilot control head) is open (connects to nothing) you should get an error message. It may be the "no pilot" or "seatalk error" message.
The error in the case of an open yellow would indeed be "no pilot".
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 14:23   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 50' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread from the OP and cause confusion, just wanted to clarify that my friend with the identical problem changed all the display units one by one as he had unused spares but the "Seatalk Fail" error prevailed. Only one cable wasn't changed which is a long one from indoor cockpit to the transom outside cockpit and its a fairly long cable as the boat is a 50 footer. In my opinion evidence points to that cable. (I don't have more details at the moment)
That is good information, No Such Thing as Hijacking the thread. I am info gathering and won't discount anything. My Gulfstar is also a 50' sailboat. My first suspect is or was the SeaTalk cable which goes to the control back to the repeater and up to the cockpit instruments. There is also a repeater at the nav station. The only two cables that could have or should have been affected when running the fuel line are the Fluxgate & Seatalk cables. However, I've seen a lot of strange stuff happen.
CptJ-GS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 22:52   #18

Seems I got a touch of the flu including fever Saturday and didn't accomplish as much as I wished. I did eliminate all other instruments off the system outside of the fluxgate and Seatalk controller which made no difference. I took some voltage readings and which I listed below. I thought it interesting that the unused Seatalk terminals tested out differently from the ones I am connected too. I was going to swap the connections but it was getting dark and with limited lighting available, not to mention I was feeling like crap I have left further exploration until I get to feeling better.

Voltage at Terminals
Fluxgate
Red 2.47
Green 2.47
Yellow 2.47
Blue 0.0 No Reading

Rudder
Red 4.8
Green 0.0 No Reading
Blue 2.37

Seatalk
Red 12.69
Yellow 0.42

Seatalk UN-USED
Red 12.69
Yellow 10.75
Old 21-09-2016, 04:18   #19

At a guess I'd say the seatalk appears to have a short to ground. Really you should see a series of pulses on the yellow wire, but you need a fast responding meter to pick that up.
Old 21-09-2016, 04:32   #20

Boat: C&C 34

I have seen the course computer and low voltage also cause a seatalk failure.

Remove the wires from course computer and see what happens. You should get a "No Pilot" displayed on the control head.

You could also try powering the seatalk network at an additional location. You can do that at any open seatalk port.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 07:28   #21

Been a very busy week at work with little boat experimentation time. Here is the latest in my exchanges with Raymarine forum. Finding the S1,S2,S3 SmartPilots are no longer serviceable by Raymarine I looked for the next unit up which X30 replaces the S3 however, it has been out of production for 3 years....Here are our threads from there.

RAYMARINE:
Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer service S1/S1G/S2/S2G/S3/S3G Autopilot Course Computers. If seeking a used X-Series Course Computer to replace one of the above listed course computers, then
- an X5 would be used to replace an S1/S1G Autopilot Course Computer,
- an X10 would be used to replace an S2/S2G Autopilot Course Computer,
- an X30 would be used to replace an S3/S3G Autopilot Course Computer,
assuming that the currently installed autopilot course computer had been installed for the vessel's autopilot drive unit.

CptJ-GS50
Not sure if I need to go here yet but,
Looking for an X30 to replace the S3 I found a couple on E-Bay which were sold in the range of $1200 to $1500. But, sold. However, it looks like they are no longer in production either. So, if I were to continue on this road of Nav System Improvement .... What is the next unit up that is still in production? Which will also accept all my Sea Talk instruments including being connected to ST7001 autopilot.

RAYMARINE
The last series of autopilot course computers produced by Raymarine which would have been compatible with the ST7001 would have been the SPX Autopilots which were retired more than three years ago. The Evolultion autopilots replace the SPX autopilots, are vastly superior with respect to heading performance, but a not compatible with the ST7001, requiring that the autopilot control head be replaced. While most devices having a SeaTalk communications interface may be adapted to be interfaced to a SeaTalkng backbone which is used to network Evolution autopilot components, it would be necessary to have you supply a complete list of the current system's devices to respond accurately regarding compatibility. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

I greatly appreciate all the input I am receiving from everyone. I will not discount any ideas or thoughts. As an engineer I value all trains of thought as each path may end up at the proper solution. I hope that this information we are gathering will not only help me but others along the way.
Old 23-09-2016, 08:34   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Thanks for the update Cptn J. I will see my friend this weekend and ask him if he has any news.
Cheers
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Thanks for the update Cptn J. I will see my friend this weekend and ask him if he has any news.
Cheers
Kind of sitting here after reviewing Evolution installations and conversations with a smile on my face. Pondering...How the hell did all this start. Simply running a new fuel line under the floor. Up to that point it was all working perfectly.

Shrugs my shoulders...Maybe it is time for that next upgrade. The bow thruster is a frill that can wait.
Old 23-09-2016, 17:00   #24

S2 and S3 series pilots both have two independent seatalk connections. Even if one is bad, the other might still be ok.
Old 25-09-2016, 12:14   #25

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
S2 and S3 series pilots both have two independent seatalk connections. Even if one is bad, the other might still be ok.
Pretty sure there is a seatalk fuse on the S1,S2 & S3 course computers also.

If you take the computer off the wall you can open it up easy and see if there is any moisture contamination on the board. I have seen that several times.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 12:29   #26

There is a fuse, but it only powers the seatalk bus. If the instruments are on, the bus has power.
Old 26-09-2016, 05:54   #27

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
At a guess I'd say the seatalk appears to have a short to ground. Really you should see a series of pulses on the yellow wire, but you need a fast responding meter to pick that up.
boatbod, my situation also causes a seatalk failure when I plug in the seatalk cable to the display for my wind instrument. Unplug the seatalk cable to the wind display and the other stuff works but plug it in and you get a seatalk error and the chartplotter works but the gps can't get a fix so the C80 chartplotter can't show our location. Are you suggesting a short in the cables from the masthead to the display are causing the problem? Would that be the red wire and the blue wire on spade connectors into the display or the seatalk cable?
Thanks for the help,

Dan
Old 26-09-2016, 09:55   #28

Boat: Dufour 38

Dan,
You most likely have a Sea Talk failure in the wind head. Understand that an instrument like a wind head can appear to function properly but it's ST circuit is bad. When plugged into your autopilot or interfaced with another ST instrument, the bad head can take down the entire ST bus. When this happens, the autopilot will display ST Fail.
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:13   #29

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Dan View Post
Dan,
You most likely have a Sea Talk failure in the wind head. Understand that an instrument like a wind head can appear to function properly but it's ST circuit is bad. When plugged into your autopilot or interfaced with another ST instrument, the bad head can take down the entire ST bus. When this happens, the autopilot will display ST Fail.
Thanks Cap'n, may I clarify? When you refer to the wind head do you mean the display portion or the portion at the head of the mast?

If you mean the display head portion is the best test to buy a new unit and plug that in or is there another way to test? The display is completely dead in terms of any display, if it is just without power for some reason would this also take down the bus?

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 26-09-2016, 11:54   #30

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I would remove the equipment from the boat, set up the equipment on a bench using some short new cables. If everything powers up and seems to work, the return to the boat, but ohm out the cabling to see if it OK. If you don't find anything, use some spare cable to bypass the installed cabling. Then go back to the installed cable one run at a time until fails, or just replace it all.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seatalk