Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 08:04   #1

Boat: Krogen 42
SeaTalk connectors

I have a Raymarine SeaTalk network installed that uses small round connectors. I have an opportunity to buy a S100 wireless remote for the autopilot but it has a larger flat connector. It looks like I can buy a converter cable but I don’t which one. When did they change? Will it even work?
Old 08-04-2019, 08:42   #2

Boat: Ericson 35-3
Re: SeaTalk connectors

The small round connectors are Seatalkng which is Raymarine's proprietary connector for NMEA 2000, the large flat 3 blade connector is Seatalk 1 which is a Raymarine proprietary protocol. Tthere's also a Seatalk 2 5 blade connector weirdness that even Raymarine seems to not want to admit ever having existed, best I can tell it's a limited NMEA 2000 implementation. There is a converter for Seatalk 1 to ng. I don't know that the adapter will support all devices so make sure before you layout the cash.

I am a touch confused though which autopilot? I don't know all the raymarine stuff by a long shot but how is there a Seatalk 1 remote that interfaces with a later gen autopilot?
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:26   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I expect the OP doesn't have Seatalkng but the earlier ST50 round connectors. You probably need an adaptor cable like this You should be able to plug it into a spare connector on one of your instruments
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:29   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

The older devices that had a blackcase instead of gray and were often labeled "Autohelm" used a round Seatalk plug. The Seatalk 1 was changed to rectangular plug with 0183 protocol, there was an adapter as I installed one just a couple decades ago. I believe the adapter is shown on the attached website as part number A06047.
SeaTalk1 Cables and Accessories | Raymarine
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:36   #5

I don't think the A06047 will help the OP as that is a Seatalkng connector ...
He probably needs an adaptor D187 like the one I linked
Old 08-04-2019, 09:55   #6

Well I learned a thing then, didn't know about that earlier connector, is the protocol just straight Seatalk1? If so you can just use 1/8th inch spades to the pins on the flat connector side, no need for a Raymarine connector on that end. Obviously I don't know whats going on the round connector side but maybe a similar option?
Old 08-04-2019, 11:00   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
I don't think the A06047 will help the OP as that is a Seatalkng connector ...
He probably needs an adaptor D187 like the one I linked
I stand corrected, even your part number seems to ring a bell.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:16   #8

Seatalk 1 is a flat 4 pin connector

Seatalk(hs): started as water'proofed' RJ45 network connections.

Seatalk(hs): Later versions of Seatalk(hs) use 'raynet' cables, which have a small round connector (like a mini Din) with a ring collar on the cable. These are usually black.

Seatalk(ng): use smaller round connectors with no collar. The end is usually blue or white and the ring collar is on the device rather than the cable.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:26   #9

Why post mis-leading information?

Seatalk 1 as sold by Raymarine is a 3-pin flat connector (12v, data, 0v) and can be connected via the D187 adaptor to the earlier Autohelm ST50 instruments and st7000 autopilot controller units by their 3-pin round connections.

Both of these connector types can clearly be seen here

ps Raytheon bought out Nautech who developed and made the Autohelm range of autopilots and instruments in 1990. Later re-branded as Raymarine after a management buy-out
Old 08-04-2019, 13:45   #10

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownr377 View Post
Well I learned a thing then, didn't know about that earlier connector, is the protocol just straight Seatalk1? If so you can just use 1/8th inch spades to the pins on the flat connector side, no need for a Raymarine connector on that end. Obviously I don't know whats going on the round connector side but maybe a similar option?
I believe the two communications/wiring formats of Seatalk1 (round 3 pin and flat 3 pin) are the same, so your solution of spade connectors should work. Just follow the color coding.
Where are you located?
I may have some spare flat Seatalk1 connectors on my boat in La Paz BCS.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 20:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
I believe the two communications/wiring formats of Seatalk1 (round 3 pin and flat 3 pin) are the same, so your solution of spade connectors should work. Just follow the color coding.
Where are you located?
I may have some spare flat Seatalk1 connectors on my boat in La Paz BCS.
I was just offering up an idea for the OP, thanks for the offer maybe they can take advantage, raymarine seems to make their cables out of the rarest finest materials made of magic and fairy dust for the price they charge for plastic and copper...
Old 09-04-2019, 06:08   #12

Boat: Krogen 42

I talked with Raymarine tech support. The. S100 with the flat connector is SeaTalk1 protocol. My AP is SeaTalksg which is NEMA2000 protocol. Different connectors different protocols. A converter box from Raymarine is about $90.

Tags
seatalk