Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-12-2009, 19:09   #1

Lightbulb Searching for a Cheap 12vdc LED-Backlit LCD Monitor

Does anyone know of any computer monitors that come close to fitting the following criteria?

- Cheap (most important)
- Energy efficient, so it should be LED-backlit
- Accepts 12vdc either directly, or via dc-dc regulator, etc
- 18" to 24"

Apparently there's a few NEC models that still use ac/dc adaptors, with the monitors themselves using 12vdc or similar. It's just not clear if any of the newer models do as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 22:33   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Most LCD screens do not use LED for backlighting, they use flurescent tubes.

The LED backlight technology is reletively new and will fetch a premuium price on the market.

This does not mean that the screens will not run on 12V. Most of the LCD screens under 27" are all 12V operated, with a power transformer either external, or built in. The power for the backlights is actually stepped up from 12V DC using one or more small inverters. This is done to standarize the screen and video controller components so the vendors can mix and match pieces.

See here for examples of backlight inverter modules:

Some people are like a slinky...

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 22:54   #3

I would have to (politely) disagree on your point that LED backlighting brings a premium price. This is simply not true on displays 24" or less. Dell and BenQ are good examples of this. They're dirt cheap, but don't have external AC>DC bricks.

I have a Dell G2210 (LED) here currently, and I'm just investigating disassembling it for re-wiring to regulated 12V. It just doesn't look easy!
Old 09-12-2009, 02:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I've bought a dirt cheap Benq LED monitor (around EUR 100) the other day, and I am looking to open it and rewire straight to the 12V.. I have plenty of electronics geeks around so shouldn't be a problem.. May document the process for third parties as well.
sv Libertalia
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:46   #5

I'm pretty good with taking things apart (laptops, mac mini, etc. No problem). I just opened up the Dell 22" LED, and uh oh! The internals are surrounded by a metal frame, which is attached to the rest of the metal chassis with rivets. Apart from taking a big screwdriver or crowbar to the whole thing and half destroying it, I'm out of luck with this model.

For the record: It's a DELL G2210 LED-backlit 22" monitor. You can NOT wire these to 12V without destroying most of the internal frame.

Please keep us updated with the BenQ!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Below is a group of LED monitors that use external power bricks. Other than the Samsung xx70 series I have not been able to confirm that the input voltage is 12vdc. The LED monitors using bricks tend to be called "ultra thin" models. I anyone runs across these models and verifies they are using 12 volts please post it.

LG 2286 (86 series)
Samsung 2370 (70 series)
Asus MS/LS 226h

This is the largest group of new monitors using power bricks that I've seen in a while.
Bob Stewart
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06   #7

Hi Bob. Your other posts on this forum have been pretty useful (long range wifi, etc), and this one appears to be too. Thanks.

I'll start searching for which ones are available in Oz for cheap, and ask the suppliers if they come with ac/dc bricks. I think they're generally a touch higher than 12v, around 14 or so (at least for the old school BenQ 17"ers, if I remember correctly.)

Anyone want a Dell LED-backlit 22" monitor that can only run off an inverter?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:33   #8

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Here is a link to an LCD TV 12v cheap.

PYLE 7" LCD MARINE BOAT TELEVISION MONITOR W/ TV TUNER - eBay (item 180410694111 end time Dec-21-09 07:08:37 PST)
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:56   #9

Thanks, but 7" seems pretty useless (for computer work). I don't think it's a good price, considering the specs.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:25   #10

Boat: pilot cutter
I fail to see the benefit of direct wiring a perfectly good new lcd monitor to 12v. Just use a small sine wave DC/AC inverter plugged into the boat's 12v outlet, which will take the load and fry before the lcd monitor does if there are any electrical mishaps. Plus, it's easily replaced, (which a 12v wired lcd monitor isn't).

For experimenting with 12v wiring a lcd monitor I would purchase a used POS off of ebay (with a busted frame/case), and make sure to wire in a nice fuse.

Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: