Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 12:14   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
SEA 322 HF/SSB ?

Good day,

I’d like to show my ignorance. I have a SEA 322 HF/SSB radio and I’m sure it is old. It was on the boat when I bought it. I heard it squawking when I went out for the sea trials so I know it works. My thought then was nice, now how does she sail. I’ve been able to find something other than static a few times. Trouble is I know zip about this thing and there is no paper about this thing any where on the boat. My list of things to get to is getting smaller (right! I dream) but I’d like to have this thing do something other than fill its hole here on the Nav table. I know I need to get a license to operate it but I thought it would be nice to listen to a few cursing nets or maybe even a weather net or something. I figure if it works it will inspire me to get the license so I can participate. I’ve been on line and looked at some nets and found their frequencies trouble is they all seem to be two or three numbers to the left of the decimal point. This thing has four or five Not the same! With out any operating instructions for the panel I’m at a bit of a loss. It has several functions but again I know not where to start. I don’t subscribe to the "if it’s old - replace it". At my age that gets me looking over my shoulder for folks of that mind set looking at me. Anybody out there know any thing about this unit that might help to get me started?

Getting there slowly but surely. Wind generator is up and running.

Gary
Shalimar FL
Old 10-06-2005, 12:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Gary:
”...it would be nice to listen to a few cursing nets...”
I don’t know about radio nets, but for a “cursing” Forum( perhaps “cursed”), goto the “Latts and Atts Cruising Forum:
http://206.131.241.61/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=login

Datamarine International ~ SEA Inc.
7030 220th Street S.W.
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Voice: (425) 771-2182 FAX: (425) 771-2650
Web: http://www.sea-dmi.com

Sea 325: http://www.sea-dmi.com/pdfs/SEA235R.pdf

Although from another manufacturer (SGC), the following ‘SSB/HF Users Guide’ offers some excellent information:
http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications...fguidebook.pdf

And from Icom:
goto: ‘Marine SSB Single Sideband Simplified PDF’ at:
http://icomamerica.com/downloads/default.asp

HTH,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 12:42   #3

the frequencies are entered in KHZ and not MHZ

IE: 12.550 MHZ = 12550.0 KHZ so punch in 125500 then enter and enter again to enter it as the tx frq -- if you let it time out it will be rx only
k1ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 17:37   #4

Well now I have an Icom M802 and am installing a SCS Pactor Modem. It is the PTC-IIusb. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the pin configuration for the transceiver remote (9 pin serial type) to 13 pin TRX control on the PTC. The manual shows a 3.5 mm jack plug but mine does not use that. I have an A/B USB cable to the computer from the modem. An 8 pin DIN to the ACC on the transceiver and the USB cable. It was clear on the 8 pin Din but after that it’s downhill. Any thoughts as to where I might find that info?
Thanks,

Gary
Old 20-12-2009, 20:24   #5

pirate

as an installer... hahaha

usually the ptc units come with the adapter cable
lemme see what i can pull up for ya

from ptc manual

sic.-

Cable Configuration:
PTC-IIpro 8 pin Euro-style Din connector. "HF
Transceiver Audio"
(listed colors are for the pigtail that comes with the
SCS PTC-II)
"ACC" Jack on back of Icom 802 8 Pin
Din, American-style.
Pin 1, violet, TX Audio Output >>> >>> Modulator Input, Pin 4
Pin 2, white, ground ground, Pin 2
Pin 3, yellow, "Push To Talk" PTT >>> >>> Send, Pin 3
Pin 4, green, Rx Audio Input <<< <<< AF output, Pin 5
Pin 5, blue, Power Supply Input <<< <<< 13.6 V output Pin 7
shell, cable shield cable shield, shell of connector
Notes:
1. Check the manuals for the Icom and the PTC-IIpro for the pin locations on the
connectors! They do not necessarily agree with the pin numbers of the connector that
you might buy, depending on that connector's ancestry. The colors shown above are for
the pigtail cable supplied with the PTC-IIpro. Check the colors with an ohmmeter, errors
are possible.
2. The German-style DIN connector has a different physical pin geometry, and is not
interchaneable with the US-style DIN connector used by Icom. Label the cable ends to
avoid any confusion over which end goes where.
3. The PTC-IIpro has provision for an alternate 12V input on its HF audio connector. This
provides a convenient way to connect power to the modem, but if the cable is particularly
long then this could be a source of RF interference. Consider a separate power connection
Icom M802 (2 of 5)11/2/2009 16:27:27
Icom M802
for long cables.
Remote control cable for M802 radio via AirMail and PTC-IIpro:.
PTC-IIpro: Remote frequency-control is optional, but highly recommended when a PTCIIpro
modem is used with an Icom M802 transceiver. This connection uses the PTCIIpro's
RS232 remote connection to the radio's "REMOTE" jack (a standard RS232
connection).
Find the pigtail connector that came with your SCS PTC-IIpro that has the din connector
that fits into the "HF Transceiver Control" port on the back of the PTC-IIpro. On the
other end solder an 9 pin D connector as follows:
PTC-IIpro 13 pin Din "Control" connector.
(listed colors are for the pigtail that comes
with the SCS PTC-II)
9 pin "D" connector
Icom M802 "Remote" connector
Pin 13, orange, ground pin 5, ground
Pin 3, yellow, TXD rs232 data output pin 3, data input *
Pin 8, red, RXD rs232 data input pin 2, data output *
shell, shield wire connector shell
* A careful reader of the Icom M802 user manual will observe that the documentation is in error
with respect to the direction of data flow on these pins in RS232 mode (oddly they are correctly
labeled for NMEA mode). The M802 service manual schematic is correct. Use the above
connections; they work.
Be careful to insulate the other wires coming out of the PTC-IIpro pigtail. You can
destroy your PTC-IIpro if they get shorted to one another or to ground. Put a ferrite on
both ends, as usual for all of your interconnect wires.
Plug this cable from the "HF Transceiver Control" jack on the PTC-IIpro to the "Remote"
jack on the Icom M802.

Icom M802
Direct COM-port connection:
The M-802's "REMOTE" connector is a standard 9-pin serial connector which can be
directly connected to a computer serial port with a standard 9-pin male/female serial
extension cable. So if you have a SCS PTC-IIe or a PTC-II that does not have a RS232
output, you can directly control the M802 with another serial port on your computer. This
may require you to add another serial port using a USB/RS232 adapter.
Radio Settings:

hope that helps

-- Adam -- ABYC, MEI in RI
k1ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 07:34   #6

I feel I have what I need to make the ends of my cables and hook it all up. I just want to avoid a smoke check and I feel I can do that now. The act of making the plugs is the easy part making me trust what I think I read is another. I just feel I need to know what is what, the overall picture. It isn’t like a cell phone, turn on and punch buttons. If I have an idea what is going on and how it travels then I have a chance of finding what might be wrong if something goes south.

Again thanks,
Gary