Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 14:21   #1

SEA 1612b auto tunes fo marine radio

when i purchased my boat it had a ssb marine radio but i replaced it with a icom m700. i still have the auto tuner that was mounted in the boat when purchased. Can anyone tell me how to wire tuner to radio. the tuner is sea 1612b which is same as 1612c. I have contacted both SEA and ICOM no luck their. thanks for any input
Old 16-12-2011, 04:27   #2

Re: SEA 1612b auto tunes fo marine radio

The 1612B and C models are not the same. You only need to provide power and the coax connection to the 1612B. You will not be able to use the tune function of the radio. Just select your operating frequency and start talking, the tuner will tune up on full power. There is a third terminal on the terminal board in the tuner labeled TND. This is "pulled" low after a successful tune. You could use it to enable an LED at the radio location to give you a visual indicator that the tuner has tuned.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 17:28   #3

Re: SEA 1612b auto tuner for marine radio

Thanks eric for your input. I tried what you told me but still didn't work may be tuner. Had 80 hits so far but only one reply. aAny one have any input sure need some help thanks.
Old 18-12-2011, 06:51   #4

When power is applied to the tuner, you should here a one-time click of the relays. When you talk into the mike and are applying RF power to the tuner, you should hear constant chattering of the relays until a successful tune is achieved and the red LED in the tuner will come on steady.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:23   #5

Boat: Mercer 44 sloop 44'

I have access to a manual for the 1612B. Its size however exceeds the attachment size allowed by the Cruiser's Forum. Is there a way that I can send it to you without breaking forum rules? Floyd
2sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 07:06   #6

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Most tuners will tune when they receive a low level CW carrier, that being 10 watts. If the radio has a tune function but the tuner is not compatible with that radio, then one can build an RC timing circuit and connect it to the radio's tuner connector. This will fool the radio into thinking it is connected to a tuner. When the TUNE key on the radio is activated, the RC circuit will run for x seconds then reverse state. This reversal will trigger the radio to turn off the TUNE function.

As an experiment I disconnected an ICOM 707 tune cable from my MFJ and tried it. I was surprised it worked. I think I used a 1K resister and .001mf capacitor, but sorry I don't remember. The info is out there on the net.

JMHO

added - Note: this is for a Kenwood radio but should work with ANY radio that has a tune function.

From AA4RP
"A Quick and Dirty Tune FunctionThe tune button on the Kenwood radios can be made to function by simply placing a 1K, 1/4-Watt resistor between the TS and TT lines. Momentarily pressing the tune button will cause the radio to transmit the 10-Watt CW tune signal until the operator presses the tune button a second time to cancel the tune. Please note that the resistor must be in place when the radio is first turned on in order to fool it into thinking there is a tuner attached. This simple method can be used to provide a manually controlled tune function. The easiest way to fully implement the full Kenwood tuner protocol, including bypass, will be to develop an interface with a PIC microcontroller."
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 07:40   #7

Ran out of EDIT time. Here is one more document showing how to make an RC circuit between an Icom radio and SG-230. But, the theory is correct regardless of what radio and tuner you use as long as the radio has a TUNE function.

http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications...connecting.pdf
Old 25-10-2020, 17:03   #8

Sorry, the correct callsign for the data on the 1kΩ resistor was AA4PB.

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/K...tion_AA4PB.pdf

Tags
marine, radio