Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-06-2013, 18:04   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Screw You SPOT! You're FIRED!

Skip the tracker. Post a "we got here" message on the web when you arrive. They will survive without knowing your exact location until then

Old 10-06-2013, 18:31   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Anyone want a SPOT Connect? Pay postage and it's your's. I am totally fed-up with fighting the software, customer service, and coverage... IT IS ALL JUNK! My subscription runs until November, but my third call to CS today was to cancel the subscription.

OK Rant is over.... In fairness when it works, it works well, but it has been a constant struggle. Every time I go to log in, it says my account is locked, and I need to call customer service (2x today alone). The contacts will not sync, the GPS goes from 3D to "NO" without moving the device. The bluetooth connection to my iPhone is clunky. If so much as a sail or leaf blocks the sky, it doesn't work at all.

So the question bears: what next? DeLorme? Sat-Phone? or just go old school and let everyone who cares if I'm OK wait on the EPIRB? I honestly would rather go without than have something that is unreliable!

I'll tell you what they did to me. I bought one a couple of years ago and got a one year's subscription. I was planning on sailing with a group of boats to Key West and the Tortugas, but my engine went south instead ...

The next year I did not renew the service.

Last April I looked at my bank statement and DANG -- they had charged me for a year's service -- after a year of none. They weren't even renewing an active SPOT! They just ... took the money.

When I called them, they gave it back.

Old 10-06-2013, 18:42   #18

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Well, I'll take the Spot off your hands.

I would get a used Isatphone.... Incoming text are free, outgoing is about $.30 a piece, you cans send position data as a text for the same cost. Hardware used is under $400, and a year service is $100 (300 text or 100 min of phone calls). I think it's the best deal out there.
Old 10-06-2013, 18:52   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Oh, Look, Dick and Jane. See Spot run!
Old 16-06-2013, 16:56   #20
Wireless Satellite Boat Monitoring

Community Sponsor

Hello,

I have been reading over the responses to your issue with the SPOT system. We are a new company that specializes in satellite monitoring and we are also based out of St. Petersburg, FL. If you are interested I could provide you a demo unit that includes 50 text messages per month providing GPS location, speed, heading, motion on board the vessel and also bilge level. We still have a few other parameters we are working on including in our service. Our notifications can be sent to your cell phone as a text, through email and they are also logged on the web. Please PM if you might be interested. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Anyone want a SPOT Connect? Pay postage and it's your's. I am totally fed-up with fighting the software, customer service, and coverage... IT IS ALL JUNK! My subscription runs until November, but my third call to CS today was to cancel the subscription.

OK Rant is over.... In fairness when it works, it works well, but it has been a constant struggle. Every time I go to log in, it says my account is locked, and I need to call customer service (2x today alone). The contacts will not sync, the GPS goes from 3D to "NO" without moving the device. The bluetooth connection to my iPhone is clunky. If so much as a sail or leaf blocks the sky, it doesn't work at all.

So the question bears: what next? DeLorme? Sat-Phone? or just go old school and let everyone who cares if I'm OK wait on the EPIRB? I honestly would rather go without than have something that is unreliable!
WebBoatWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 17:13   #21

Boat: Tartan 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebBoatWatch View Post
Hello,

I have been reading over the responses to your issue with the SPOT system. We are a new company that specializes in satellite monitoring and we are also based out of St. Petersburg, FL. If you are interested I could provide you a demo unit that includes 50 text messages per month providing GPS location, speed, heading, motion on board the vessel and also bilge level. We still have a few other parameters we are working on including in our service. Our notifications can be sent to your cell phone as a text, through email and they are also logged on the web. Please PM if you might be interested. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you!
SPOT has several problems. My experience found the biggest is that the device is just not that durable. How do you address the issue of durability???
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 18:57   #22
Wireless Satellite Boat Monitoring

Community Sponsor

Durability and reliability are of great importance to us. Since our system is completely wireless (including all sensors), dependability is one of the first aspects we had to address when making our transmitter.

The typical movement of a boat has been taken into account by foaming the transmitter area as well as the battery compartment to withstand any type of impact. In addition, we inserted contacts between the batteries so that any type of vertical or lateral impact will not disrupt the power supply.

We have taken additional steps to provide increased reliability to our customer by providing sensors that are also foamed and water resistant. All our equipment is IP67 rated.

Thank you for your question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
SPOT has several problems. My experience found the biggest is that the device is just not that durable. How do you address the issue of durability???
WebBoatWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 15:28   #23

Boat: Tartan 33
Has anyone tried yellow brick road?

I see that the Bermuda 1-2 and some other long distance races are using that device.

Bill

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: