Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 13:29   #16
Registered User
 
Aussie_Sequoia's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Boat: Prout Event 34
Posts: 250
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Re: Satellite phone provider

I can second the plug for Outfitter Satellite. They were very helpful and their minutes are competitively priced (in fact we got a promotion and received 750 minutes for the price of 500 which brought the cost to about $0.80/minute).

Also you receive a a free account with Skyfile Mail which is a compression program similar to XGate (but just for emails) for the duration of your minutes.
__________________

__________________
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 13:52   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 65
Re: Satellite phone provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
I can second the plug for Outfitter Satellite. They were very helpful and their minutes are competitively priced (in fact we got a promotion and received 750 minutes for the price of 500 which brought the cost to about $0.80/minute).

Also you receive a a free account with Skyfile Mail which is a compression program similar to XGate (but just for emails) for the duration of your minutes.
Assuming this is Iridium.

The reason for the price decrease when jumping to 750 minutes is because Iridium offers a 750 minute voucher which is valid for only 6 months and the minutes will not roll over beyond expiry, unlike most other standard plans.

One thing I would highly recommend is that you deal directly with a service provider as opposed to a reseller (outfitter, satphonestore, etc).

Iridium lists their SPs, you're basically just cutting out the middleman by going that route.
__________________

__________________
N3VR L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 14:25   #18
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Personally I prefer the iridum account and standing charge , less money up front and no risk of unused minutes

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 15:37   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3VR L8 View Post

Assuming this is Iridium.

The reason for the price decrease when jumping to 750 minutes is because Iridium offers a 750 minute voucher which is valid for only 6 months and the minutes will not roll over beyond expiry, unlike most other standard plans.

One thing I would highly recommend is that you deal directly with a service provider as opposed to a reseller (outfitter, satphonestore, etc).

Iridium lists their SPs, you're basically just cutting out the middleman by going that route.
I might check that out. SatellitePhoneStore. Com just messed up my billing. Seems like every month I have to double check everything.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 12:44   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Re: Satellite phone provider

I posted this in another thread just the other day My setup cost me 800 for a used Iridium 9555, 300 for 300 minutes and 35 a month for UUplus. I just bought a 9555 for a bit less than that and have a good vendor in NC if you want his info send me a PM- He also does BGAN Around 1500, every minute of data is 1 minute of the pre paid minutes you have. The nice thing with UUplus is that you can set it up to send you a text message when you get new mail to your sat phone. This means that I only have to connect when I know there is a message worth reading. Iridium does not charge to receive text messages. The other nice thing is that if I need a file from the web like a chart from weather.noaa.gov I can have the uuplus mail client go and grab that and bring it in for me over the sat phone. They compress it and I have gotten 10 message out and 10 down in under a minute with UUplus. That was my thinking and I have not been sorry I did it, it give me a phone when not out and about and also I can get critical communications taken care of. If you want a really good sat vendor that is honest and will get you what you need and not what they want to cell you give these guys a try. George is the main person I deal with. Preferred Communications 410 Central Avenue Butner, NC 27509 1-800-300-6020 Preferred Communications > Home George is willing to help solve your problems and he listened to me. Not only that but I didn't want to spend 2000 so he searched around and found me an old rental phone and saved me loads of money. Ben
__________________
inthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 12:49   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 12
Re: Satellite phone provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I might check that out. SatellitePhoneStore. Com just messed up my billing. Seems like every month I have to double check everything.
I have been using for a long time an outfit in NC, George at Preferred Communications +1 919 575 4600 He has been honest and easy to deal with. ITJ
__________________

__________________
inthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
phone, satellite, satellite phone

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.