Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 17:06   #1

Sat Phone eMail Cost

I am getting a Sat phone with data cable etc mainly so I can download emails from Buoy weather to my laptop computer.
Approx. what is it likely to cost per email with and without Oceans or Xgate.
I am finding the annual fee for both compression programs a bit steep $240.00 and I was wondering whether i need it.
I really only want weather emails and emergency use with the sat phone.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 18:15   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
In my opinion you need the compression program. I couldn't get the free stuff to work. Did you look at XGATE??At a little over $10.00 USD per month it will save you money. Cheaper than email at home. Figure about $5.00 USD per GRIB download.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 18:48   #3

The $5.00 is that with or without the Xgate
Old 18-11-2010, 20:32   #4

I see the Sat ph , ssb post going strong , but think I will be going sat ph.
Forgive my ignorance , but do you just get credit on your sat ph like you do a mobile , and where is the best priced.
The other thread said 50cents per tex message and family can tex free to you over the net , is this really possible as this is what will sell the sat ph for me 100 %
As far as weather , this is also my main interest and am only just starting to look into and learn ( very little at this point)
So you can download weather from Bouy weather from your sat ph to your lap top.
Do you need a bouy weather subscription as well as a possible compression program .
The Iridium 9555 seems have everything you need in the basic kit to start using for these operations , am I getting this right .
phone , say $1500 or less , xgate $10/ month , tex 50 cents ,$5 for each weather download, plus monthly sat ph connection fee ?? , Its not the cheapest , but seems a simple way of keeping in touch and safe.
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 21:37   #5

Sat phones can be purchased off ebay much cheaper, sometimes older models but so what.
I can get a new Thuraya for $600.00 here in Australia.
With Sat phones you buy a Phone card $50, $100 ,$200 etc

Buoy weather is $80 a year.
Xgate is $240 a year plus $59.00 start up, so it is $20.00 amonth not $10 as quoted.
What I am trying to assess it what is the likely Sat phone card cost for each weather email and whether I need the Xgate or other compression programs.
Old 18-11-2010, 22:02   #6

Yes , this would be good to know as Im sure when you are waiting for the to break you will want to check a few times a day maybe . I think on passage somewhere you would at least use daily .
I guess one must learn to read a the weather better , even as passed on by buoy wearther .
I think the newer sat phones are far superior in clarity and lap top conection etc , but I really dont know . It is all new to me , so I will keep posted .
Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 22:45   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want GRIB files you don't need to pay for them, you can get them from Saildocs.com without having to be a SailMail member. Any email connection will work; SSB/Pactor (Sailmail, Winlink, and others), satphone, WiFi, etc.

For my Iridium satphone I buy pre-paid minutes (around $1.20 / min for a block of 500 min as I recall). XGate and other "compression" services do a lot more than compression -- without XGate or similar, the satphone connection is almost unusable for email.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 22:54   #8

I have been looking at this for a while.
It is difficult even for professionals to predict more than about 3 days out from a forecast, there are just too many variables.
So I pick a route that will generally give me a maximum 3 days passages (200-300 nautical miles) and wait for the weather window.
I sail at 5-6 knots, however I can motor at 8 knots with one outboard engine and if I have to i can travel at 15 knots.
As I am cruising through Indonesia/Phillipines this should not be too difficult.

I carry fuel for 500 nautical miles.
However I sail downwind, of course, whenever I can.
Old 19-11-2010, 01:29   #9

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Buoy weather is $80 a year.
Xgate is $240 a year plus $59.00 start up, so it is $20.00 amonth not $10 as quoted.
What I am trying to assess it what is the likely Sat phone card cost for each weather email and whether I need the Xgate or other compression programs.
Sorry I misquoted the XGATE price. It is ~$20/month.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, satellite phone